Redskins report card vs Eagles—O-line shines

Oct 17, 2016, 11:31 AM EDT

Here are my grades for some of the key players and other elements in Sunday’s 27-20 win over the Eagles.

Let’s give the Redskins’ offensive line an A+. They opened holes for three different running backs, setting up the team’s best day running the ball in nearly four years. They kept Kirk Cousins clean against one of the league’s top pass rushing units (the Eagles had at least three sacks in each of their first four games).

How often have the Redskins faced a fill-in player in a key position and then failed to exploit the weakness? Yesterday Ryan Kerrigan lined up against Eagles right tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai, a rookie getting his first snaps in the NFL. Kerrigan dominated the matchup, getting two sacks before the Eagles knew what hit them.

The team’s mindset is as solid as a rock. Past Redskins teams would have folded and allowed the Eagles 14-0 run on the kickoff return and interception return to turn into a tidal wave. Instead, they scored the next 10 points and reestablished control of the game.

I suppose that somebody will look at film of Matt Jones’ from yesterday and figure that he should have gained 300 yards. But he played pretty well while rushing for a career best 135 yards. His 57-yard run was the Redskins’ longest in a “run out the clock” situation (up by 1-7 points, less than 2 minutes left) since at least 1994.

Related: The numbers indicate a major Redskins turnaround

Tight end Vernon Davis was ready to go in the absence of Jordan Reed. He had two receptions for 50 yards, not up to Reed’s usual production but good enough. He gets dinged a bit because of what turned out to be a very costly celebration penalty, but not a lot because it’s a dumb rule.

After being in town for just a couple of weeks Donte Whitner made an impact. He played 40 snaps, got four solo tackles and was solid in coverage. Duke Ihenacho started but played just 17 snaps. Read into that what you will.

Normally someone who plays just nine snaps has too small a sample size to evaluate. But Robert Kelley’s 45-yard run was a thing of beauty as he changed direction and navigated through traffic.

Josh Norman had a very quiet day. The Eagles threw at him just once, for 12 yards. It’s hard to have much impact when they won’t send any action your way.

Related: Redskins defense continues second half dominance

Is it fair to give Kirk Cousins a C when he passed for 263 yards in a win? Maybe not but the pick six was ugly and he completed just eight of 20 passes after that. His passer rating was 85.8, under the NFL average of 89.5. So you can add a plus to the C but it was about an average quarterbacking performance.

DeSean Jackson probably didn’t have as big a day as he wanted to against his old team and he did have a drop of a likely TD. But he did have four catches for 55 yards, including a 35-yard reception that helped set up the Redskins’ first touchdown.

Who else deserves a good grade? Who should get a bad one? Sound off here in the comments!

1. Colmac69 - Oct 17, 2016 at 11:41 AM

O-line was fantastic. …..since long went to centre unit appears to b playing at higher level

Can’t say enough bout defense last 3 and half games. a lot of grief from entire population for first couple games but really gd since then

Hopkins and way have bn outstanding…prob best combination at those two positions we had in yrs

2. greed - Oct 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM

thought DUKE played a good game early on , rich or anyone else see a reason for WHITNER getting most of the snaps? I would think with DUKE being younger and possibly a more long term option at safety the skins would give him every oppurtunity to keep the job,

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Neither Nacho (nor Bruton) has ever been anyone’s ideal of a safety who could drop into pass coverage…they’re strong safeties only.

Whitner can do both.

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I haven’t seen how many snaps Matt Ioannidis had at NT, but my impression is moving him there has let the other DTs do what they do best (i.e. play end).

Similar to what moving Spencer Long to center has done for the O.L.

4. snyderisanidiot - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Giving Kirk Cousins a C is simply not fair. He kept the offense moving all game long, he had so many 1st downs, he also got it done without Reid. He ran for that 1st down, he also was throwing with confidence and with strength. The deep ball he threw to Jackson was perfect it almost hit Jackson in between his eyes.
    Sure he has some bad throws but he responded. He responded like a true professional and played with grit. Old Kirk would have tanked that game. Yet you want to give him a C.
    I am not giving Kirk Cousins a C for that great performance he is getting a B+ from me. He helped us Win that game. We need the Kirk Cousins we saw on Sunday whether he makes a couple mistakes or not. Really thought I saw something in Kirk on Sunday I expect him to be better from here on out. Definitely his best performance of the year, maybe not statistically, but football wise.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:18 PM

He ran for that 1st down

I’m with you. That was a big moment in coming back from the interception.

• wncskinsfan - Oct 17, 2016 at 6:52 PM

yep. a C is average, Kirk played above average. That really came to mind last night while I watched some guy named Osweiller attempt to play football. I would give him a B, the pick was ugly, but he got through it.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Yeah but the near pick in the end zone into double coverage on an undersized receiver? That wasn’t even mentioned. But I gave Kirk a B minus yesterday (he got points for responding and leading the next drive down to score)I just want the pitchforks to launch in Rich’s general direction. Literally cited the points as me. Except the 8 for 20 gem, didn’t know it was that bad but figured it wan’t good since we had the ball all second qtr got it after the half and STILL came down to defensive stops on the Eagles last possession. Kirk played OK but he could’ve done better. We’ll just have to wait for him to round that corner.

Now if anybody has a problem with that TAKE IT UP WITH RICH! I actually cut Kirk some slack a “C” is fair because it wasn’t the dramatic improvement that everyone seems intent on selling me. The way some people were on the thread last night you would’ve thought we won by 27 not by 7.

• sidepull - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM

He was on the money . Some of his dropped passes, had they been caught, would have really boosted his stats but the interception put points on the egirls board. Still that was the best I have seen him play. He always shows up big playing the egirls. They gotta be hatin on him in Philly. Anyhow I wonder if their D coordinator knows who Cuz is now?

As an aside I think Garcon is a really good player. No diva WR. He does his job. He is competitive as he!! and he is like Anquan Boldin to me. A beast. A battler. Durable. A guy you want on your team

• COSSkinsFan - Oct 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM

The interception could’ve been a back breaker. At the same time the safety diagnosed it and made a good play. Cousins had a man in his face and I’m sure never saw the safety break on the ball. The interceptions in the Steeler and Cowboy games were just plan bad. I’m not excusing this one but I don’t think it falls into the bone head category like those two. As for Garcon, I thought he had a great game. I know djax can be more explosive but if we keep one of them next year I hope it’s Garcon.

5. bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Jones definitely could’ve had more yards. Kelly got a chance late and got nothing — nothing but the ire of the coach when he hesitated behind the line of scrimmage.

6. Trey Gregory - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:24 PM

My only complaint about the game was that Jones and Kelley were got and then we just abandoned them. It’s good to see Thompson get some work and all but why just put Jones and Kelley on ice like that?

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM

I didn’t see it like that.

• redskins12thman - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Kelley’s number didn’t get called that often; I think they’ll increase his snap count incrementally over the season.

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I was screaming for Kelly but Jones kept getting the carries and the snaps. I think I saw Kelly in there once late on a pass play and he did get one carry in the penultimate drive on first down. Gruden didn’t seem to be happy with the play and Kelly came straight out as the network went to game break.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 8:10 PM

I saw it and I’m on the fence about it only because it worked. Whenever something works it gets a little less scrutiny but if Thompson had came in and fumbled or something I’d be right with you asking whyyyy? Especially since they had actually had Chris running the ball instead of chipping and releasing into the flat. I thought that was weird.

7. snyderisanidiot - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:32 PM

A+ Crowder is looking like he could be a pro bowler someday. I am really liking Crowder. unique talent. He offers so much.

D- Grant. Not sure why he is on the squad at this point ,

• sidepull - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Agreed. 100%.

• wncskinsfan - Oct 17, 2016 at 6:57 PM

can’t agree more. every year around camp time we hear about what a great route runner Grant is. or some jazz like that. Something that always leaves me scratching my head. Then the reg season comes and he seems to commit a lot of untimely drops . . . like yesterday. Bring up Harris, I wanna see some salt.

• troylok - Oct 17, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Grant is like the coach’s pet or something. The guy might look good in practice but he does nothing in games. Yesterday he bobbled yet another ball and I had an anxious moment when it looked like a Philly defender could get up under it. Dude’s a liability.

BTW, make the defense guess a little more by throwing a few more passes to Matt Jones on first or second down. Teams know run when Jones is in there. It’s just Philly couldn’t stop anyone yesterday.

• firesnyder - Oct 17, 2016 at 2:55 PM

I really agree on Crowder. NFL-wide, you *rarely* hear about him, but he’s gotta be a top 3 slot receiver in the game right now. He’s playing lights out.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM

I have absolutely hated Grant since he cost us that Atl game. Not even sure how he made the team and we drafted a WR. That roster spot could’ve went to an extra linemen.. O or D.

8. redskins12thman - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM

I can’t give anyone a C, because I didn’t feel anyone played average. Once I re-watch the game my opinion may differ but I think everyone is B- and above, including Cousins and Jackson.

9. blazerguy234 - Oct 17, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Good win in spite of the special team`s mistake, and another bone headed pick off Cousins. It was first down, and he was in trouble…throw the ball away. No..instead he throws a lob pass that had to have been screaming danger.
    He has made several of these plays this season…and he almost never uses his feet in the pocket to buy time, and get a throwing lane. He dis rush once successfully…bout time. No way is he worth 20 million a year…unless he really ups his game.

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Who is worth $20 million a year?

These are the 2017 cap hits at QB:
      Andrew Luck Colts $19,400,000
      Colin Kaepernick 49ers $19,365,753
      Brock Osweiler Texans $19,000,000
      Drew Brees Saints $19,000,000
      Russell Wilson Seahawks $18,800,000
      Ben Roethlisberger Steelers $18,200,000

Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, and Brock Osweiler are the only guys on this list who don’t average at least $19 million per year. Stafford hits free agency in 2018 while Romo and Osweiler hit FA in 2020.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM

LMAO just reread Thunder’s statement if you don’t want to read all of this, that’s basically what I’m expanding on. I’m going to go down the list of terrible contracts. I’m doing most of this by memory so feel free to fact check me and rip me apart*

Tony Romo Man this was so dumb. I mean I get the guy puts up great numbers and that Jerruh is his dad but really? I wanna say they gave him this deal in his 30’s and while Romo is just now starting to miss extended time, he’s played with injuries for years so why they thought his body would hold up is beyond me. But Jerry’s world so.. I’m sure he’s happy with a 20M backup that he still won’t cut next year I bet. Either way I’m happy. If only they hadn’t got Dak.

Flacco- Flacco is why Kirk bet on himself this year. Contract year and the guy won the superbowl. Unfortunately everyone retired after that and gee I wonder how his cap number is affecting their ability to build? Hmmm. I wanna say terrible contract but only in the sense that it’s hurt the teams chances of building back up to that caliber. We’ve seen the Jags put up how much on them? The Browns? Then us… oh wait.. we only scored one touch down BUT STILL. The Ravens aren’t that good. Were they last year? Joe earned it with the SB though. Actually I think he earned it in the AFC game that year.

Palmer I think is a decent contract. I don’t know the order of how things went down but their core guys are paid or on rookie deals so they could kind of afford it. Now with Palmer’s injury history this contract looks a little meaty but I’m not going to split hairs when Ari is largely considered to be a potential SB participant every year. And I mean consistently not just how Carolina caught everybody by surprise last year and we just assumed them to be contenders again this year.

Matt Ryan- Hindsight is 20/20 I can’t remember when this deal was tendered but I think it’s been a while so he’s in the back half of the contract now where all the big money is? (but 5 year contracts don’t exist so I could be wrong) I mean 24M seems a bit high for him but he’s been healthy and if they get him some receivers he’s the right kind of guy to overspend on. They just need to draft receivers and get him some cheap help.

Stafford I think is worth it. Funny that I literally just said this to Trey not too long ago but I saw that Stafford’s number was 18. I could have read that wrong because I thought he was definitely underpaid if that was the case. The Lions need an overall revamping though. The defense needs teeth. The receiving core is tricky because Matt is kind of like another Drew Brees in that he’ll throw for a million yds but that defense is going to allow a million and one. I think Detroit is happy with this contract. Their offense is like one of the few bright spots their team has and Stafford is a large part of it. Trey put up a snazzy link about team rankings and Detroit’s offense is ranked beneath us at 14 but they put up more points than us. We have better rushing yds so thats not it. Lions put up more ppg and more overall points than we have. Our D has been the only difference now who would’ve thought that’d be the case. And also how are the Lions out performing our offense when, besides Ebron and the RB (whose name I just conveniently forgot), can you name anyone else on their offense? Can you imagine him running our offense? If he wanted 22M a year I’d lend Scot my pen and tell him make sure there’s an injury clause.

Tannehill- We already talked about this but for wow factor I’ll add that Ryan is like Kirk but taller with no excuse. You can maybe argue that Kirk doesn’t have the strongest arm or maybe he didn’t see that safety because he’s not 6’10” but Tannehill? He’s been a disappointment but the Fins.. idek. They’ve seen him for 4 years and want to see him for another however many. Good luck to them. Probably too early to say but I vote terrible contract, certainly for what he’s done thus far. Fins will probably regret sinking this much into an investment that’s showed little promise to turn it around. Oh wait he did be the rapistsless Steelers, there’s hope yet!

I’m going to loop Rogers, Newton, Rivers, Manning and Luck all in the same category- about where they should be . Not sure when they signed because obviously they have some guys with higher numbers ahead of them but that’s the nature of the game. Flacco won a ring. Romo’s Dad owns the team. Palmer was a perennial sb contender until his injuries flared up (do we know if his number is guaranteed through injury?) And Ryan has been to the NFC championship game when he’s had help, so we know what he can do Dimitritovelochzy needs to assemble better help. Overall with the exception of Romo I get why the guys ahead of them are making more. But aside from Tannehill none of them are terrible QB’s and if the GMs for those respective teams put a supporting cast around them no one would complain about their numbers

Kaep played in a SB I believe this was the post Alex Smith contract and I thought it was supposed to be incentive laden. Either way it was signed like 10 years ago so I know he’s in the back half of the contract where all the money is… could be wrong though because NFL contracts are supposed to only last 3 years tops… or so I’ve heard.

Brock not a terrible contract because it’s short term right? I think it was only 3 years but I could have his and Bradford’s Eagles deal mixed up. Not a bad number, desperation drives the market and he looked like a smart pick. Dude really does look like he might extend his neck if he sense danger though. I could not look at him without cracking up at that joke in the back of my head. Overall I guess the point is, don’t hold on to slummly QB’s too long. How long did they need to look at Kaep before they realized they need to move on? And don’t overpay the QB before you have the supporting cast under contract for the duration of the Qb’s contract.

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Of course there are bad contracts (not all of them) but don’t forget how unsuccessful the alternative has been historically for the entire league. You think you can just draft Dak Prescott? How many teams have tried and failed with that strategy. Russell Wilson is the only guy in modern NFL history where this approach has worked and even then Matt Flynn was signed to a big contract. If you want to go back to Tom Brady you can’t forget Drew Bledsoe. Basically you don’t want to buy health insurance because it’s too expensive and you’ve heard of a friend of a friend that may have won enough money for his medical needs on some 7-11 scratchers. GREAT PLAN! Health insurance does suck and half the time you don’t get what you paid for but at least now after a few years of good planning you can now afford it (rather it fits in your budget). Lastly, open enrollment starts in February if you want to keep your current plan and extends in to March if you want to explore other options. You don’t have to decide now either since these “plans” will change and you can’t do anything about it until February.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 18, 2016 at 2:48 AM

Riight so I’m assuming you’re not talking about us with Kirk because we have Colt. Let’s not forget he lost his shot due to injury. Redskins also tendered him a contract, albeit much less than Kirk’s number but, they signed their contingency plan. I honestly don’t think any of us think Kirk, from what he’s shown us, he’s the next coming. I don’t think there would be much drop off from Kirk to Colt keeping in mind Kirk was BENCHED in favor for Colt who played well and has played well when we’ve needed him.

Now for the other teams, I don’t follow them well enough to know their draft situations but they had QB’s that were much better than Kirk. There wasn’t a QB on there that I think Kirk was better than except Tannehill and Kaep. I’m not looking at the list right now but I’m just trying to remember oh and Romo. I think Kirk will probably be AT BEST another a Romo. A statistical monster with the penchant for clutch INTs. There’s a reason Tony’s only won like two playoff games and only played in hmmm maybe 5? 6? But he’s been playing for like damn near 20 years. Flacco won a SB so all bets are off and honestly if they have better better production at WR and their defense gets better Flacco could go back. I believe the other QB’s were Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford,the group of elites (maybe minus Rivers I’d probably put Rivers in the Tony Romo category but I think Rivers has more playoff wins/appearances) to me all earned those elite contracts. Kaep is terrible now but he at least got his team to a SB that counts for a lot. If Kirk had got us to the SB last year I think they would’ve signed him at 22M then sh*t a brick weeks one & two BUT THAT’S WHY YOU PLAY THE GAME lol. Now do you really want to debate that SF and MIA shouldn’t have been drafting for another QB? They just gonna ride it out or nah? The Eagles landed what looked like a starter in Foles then still landed Wentz. I think the QB’s that are on your list with the ones I stated are terrible contracts but as you can see not all of them experience success. Sometimes bowing to your QB’s demands comes at the cost of bettering your team. Scot may just want a little more time to get the team together before he puts that down on Kirk’s inconsistencies. Now if he’s getting a C from sports bloggolister Rich Tandler and our radio is just like “mehhh” then what do you think mgmt is thinking? Mind you they’re the ones writing the checks. Scot was apprehensive after his 7 game explosion how do you really think it’s going to play with Kirk koking away almost half the season SO F AR? Do you think he’s going to sink costs in Cousins? Never mind what you want him to do, think of Scot’s tendencies. I think Kirk’s averaging about a 2.0 through 6 weeks with the meat of our schedule coming up. It’ll be tough but if he shines and is lights out it may force Scot’s hand. IDK it becomes tricky. That’s why I only speak on what I’ve seen so far and SO FAR I feel like Colt is a lot cheaper and the drop off in production can’t be that bad. I mean Kirk’s OK I’m not saying he’s terrible I just think it’s a redundancy because we already have an OK QB on the roster. I Sudfeld the answer? IDK. I doubt I even spelled his name right but Kirk’s gotta pick it up and distinguish him from the pack. No ones calling for Colt now because the INT was a touch back and D Jax stripped that INT. 53 man effort type of wins means your check can’t take away from the 53’s betterment. Meaning if you can’t shoulder the team and be the elite deficiency masker then you can’t ask for what most of the guys on the list are making.

Was Cutler on your list? OMG The Bears are hopeless I love living in Chicago.

• bangkokben - Oct 18, 2016 at 10:16 AM

1. Colt is NOT a legit starter in this league. Cousins has proven he is. Colt can get the job done in a game or two and was paid accordingly.

2. Cousins negotiating position isn’t going to be the same this off-season as it was last offseason. Last offseason the Redskins were willing to guarantee almost $20M for one season. Cousins was seeking at least $44M guaranteed for multiple years (two franchise tags worth). [At the time, that would’ve been tied for the 2nd most guaranteed money.] The Redskins offered $16/year with only $4M more guaranteed ($24M) over the life of the contract.

3. Both parties will have new negotiating positions next season.

“Do you think he’s going to sink costs in Cousins?” At this point, I think McCloughan (not me) will make Cousins an offer around $24M guaranteed about $19-$20M/year. That’s an average starting QB wage with a low amount of guaranteed money which allows the team exit ramps. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he drafted another QB in the 3rd or 4th round. I also think Cousins will look at the offer and look forward to free agency.

• sidepull - Oct 18, 2016 at 7:13 AM

The Romo comparison Lezzie, you must have been reading my mind. I have thought, what if that is KC? at BEST? I was just thinking about that the other day. The killer, back breaking, interceptions….though if I could give KC a piece of Romos game, it would be Romos aha…footwork. The guy could escape with little effort and make a play.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 18, 2016 at 11:54 AM

The comparison was just low hanging fruit because I have people that tell me “romo is not a bad QB” and what they’re really trying to say is he’s won some games for Dallas and he’s also given just as many away. He’s top 5 in all the passing stats but surprisingly absent in the playoff record book. Now I’m still leaving the door open for Kirk to turn it on but for me it’s like the longer he takes to turn it around then less faith I have that that’s the Kirk we’re moving forward with. People are trying their best to protect Kirk “oh ypou just don’t like him because he wanted big money” “oh his money demands weren’t that bad that’s the avg” “oh Kirk didn’t ask for 22M Rich made that up” and my favorite “well he’s better than what we’ve had do you know how hard is going to be to get another qb of his caliber? Lol what’s his caliber again? Every publication has said he’s playing OK but not like a franchise qb. EVERY. PUBLICATION. The fans are just so desperate for him they’ll overlook all the red flags. I’m just saying maybe we’re good because with this offense you just can’t suck that bad. Kirk had a passer rating of like 85 and people are guzzling him like he threw 4 TDs ” How could Rich give him a C?”All because he ran for a first down 😂😂 they’re so desperate. Thank God we have responsible adults making the decisions around here.

• firesnyder - Oct 17, 2016 at 3:02 PM

So tired of people saying “he isn’t worth $20 million”. That is the market-going price. $18 million per year is too low for a guy with his stats. So, stop saying he isn’t worth $20 million… its what the MARKET says he is worth.

If you are an electrician and the average salary for an electrician with 2 years of experience is $60K, but you get $65K (slightly over the average) people will never say “he is not worth $65K”.

The NFL is an entertainment business and the Players association has helped players get their fair cut of the the business. So, if you are mad at the salaries, then just stop watching the NFL. If enough people stop watching, then salaries will come down.

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Wait. Are you trying to use logic? That is frowned upon in these here parts. ;)

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 17, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Would it be using logic to say some of those teams are regretting the 20$ million, give or take?

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Absolutely but it doesn’t change the market or the price for a veteran QB. Can they get BETTER results with a journeyman or rookie QB? And has any team even willfully tried?

10. popefrady - Oct 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM

did anyone else notice that Matt jones started to run better once Fat Rob and C-train got looks? Matt Jones did run behind his pads until Fat Rob went hard at the gaps and made it look fun.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I definitely saw it. With their jersey number and hair it was not as easy to notice pre snap who was in but when Kelly hit the whole he wasn’t dancing he was looking to bully somebody. Jones came in a few snaps later and looked like a switch had flipped. Could’ve been playing “mad” I know he said he “found who he was playing for” his daughters, but maybe playing mad better suits his style. Fat Rob looked like he was trying to steal Matt Jones’ bologna. Chris Thompson looked his normal productive self. Now just need to take the next step and run in the end zone. Got in a debate with a Ravens fan who was all “Tell me when you beat a good team.” Oh I guess the Ravens aren’t that good in hindsight but Philly’s front 4 is very dominant. That was a real test and the O line did great, our backs did great, I actually like McVay’s approach of mixing it up with different runners.

11. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Dagnabbit News:

12. renhoekk2 - Oct 17, 2016 at 4:47 PM

I guess the comment about someone will watch film and criticize Jones is a shot at Cooley. Sorry but I agree with Cooley. If the play is blocked well enough that a RB should get at least 7 yards on the play but the player only gets 3 yards, that is a problem and the player should not get props for the 3 yard run. The average fan thinks the OL is not blocking well enough. I appreciate Cooley breaking down the plays and explaining things the average fan might not know because they don’t know how the play was designed and what should have happened. And explaining what went wrong on the play.

• bangkokben - Oct 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Agreed. We haven’t seen holes blocked like this in a generation. These aren’t yards where Jones is trapped in the backfield and gets loose. For the most part there is just a stray arm in the hole or Jones isn’t getting touched until the defensive backfield and then he isn’t breaking those tackles or carrying guys for two or three yards. But as long has he hits the hole fast and holds onto the ball, I’m fine. Fine — not over the moon.

13. Omar Reed - Oct 17, 2016 at 6:50 PM

The Defense deserves in A+

14. lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 6:52 PM

So like a week ago when everyone was calling for Joe Barry’s job I gave him a little lee way because he was falling on his sword for his team. I figured the D would respond and they have but one the main things I was impressed with about Barry was his willingness to adapt. You see so many times in coaches perios but maybe especially with D coaches that they are not willing to change their strategies. For whatever the excuse, I think Barry’s excuse week one & two, why Norman didn’t follow AB and waiting so long to have him follow Dez, was a poor excuse. Now we see him being more flexible with Cravens starting to get more PT even when Foster is playing well. I guess what I’m trying to say is how long until Preston Smith is demoted? I try to be patient with all of our players but P Smitty is not getting it done. Honestly Kerrigan wasn’t getting it done until yesterday but he at least dominated when he was epected to. IDK I just feel like he’s got a sweet spot for Smith, but it’s time for another dose of tough love. I know you guys think I’m hard on Cousins but I was actually very patient in my criticism holding off until I felt I’d seen enough. Funny Cousins got hot around the same time Smith did last year now Kirk has had his struggles but Smith looks like a back up.

• COSSkinsFan - Oct 17, 2016 at 7:00 PM

I think it’s hard to justify giving Smith so many snaps when Murphy is playing like he is. I know that their rt was a matchup we exploited heavily (part of Barry adapting and yes I actually said that) was blitzing more often. I’ve heard people say we didn’t have the talent for that, it seemed to work well to me. Hopefully we can continue to blitz more, without going totally Haslett.

• lezziemcdykerson - Oct 17, 2016 at 7:10 PM

And I may be remembering incorrectly but I think they have Murhpy subbing in for Kerrigan. I’ve seen him on the left far more than the right which makes no sense at all. Man I wish Gallette never got hurt this year. I’ve been reading up on Doctson’s injury and we should just put him on IR. We’ll have him if need be for the playoffs but I think we’ll need him more next season when the WR band breaks up. Maybe Smith is playing with some kind of injury we don’t know about. I’m hoping it’s something like that because he showed so much promise last year.

• COSSkinsFan - Oct 17, 2016 at 8:35 PM

You’re probably right. It’s hard to tell because I only even noticed Smith on about 4 plays. I really wish I could say I was joking about that.

15. kenlinkins - Oct 17, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Rich, Many of the running plays just didn’t look the same as running plays I saw earlier in the season. I admit I was a bit busy with other things at the time of the game and haven’t watched the game again yet but Thomson seemed to be turning up field much sooner / better on toss / outside run plays, Jones seemed to make cuts in the hole like they were designed, and Kelley just ran hard without having to think. Was it just the O-line putting hats on people, the RB’s growing into better NFL players, or were there some new plays being run? Any thing special about the Eagles game plan I should look for when watching it again? Also, I noted that Cousins was pushing the ball down the field early in the passing attack, could this be the reason that the Redskins running plays didn’t look the same (i.e. LB were playing “play action” and were moving backwards & D-Line was running pass RB;s)? I would like any insight you have.

16. Heineken Dave - Oct 18, 2016 at 5:00 PM

What about Garcon and Crowder, both B+.

Leave Comment