Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—An end to red zone woes?

Oct 2, 2016, 6:24 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, October 2, seven days before the Washington Redskins go up the road to play the Ravens in Baltimore.

Today’s schedule: Browns @ Redskins, 1 p.m., CBS

Days until: Redskins @ Ravens 7; Eagles @ Redskins 14; Redskins vs. Bengals in London 28

Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns

—Is this the game that the red zone woes start to fade away? The Browns are 24th in the red zone defensively. And at some point the Redskins are bound to revert to the norm. Washington has scored touchdowns on 21.4 percent of its trips to the red zone this year. Over each of the past three seasons the teams with the worst red zone conversion percentages for the NFL season had rates between 36 and 43 percent. You have to figure the Redskins will get at least to that level, which means that a streak of red zone success is inevitable at some point.

—There is a lot of talk about the need to stop Terrelle Pryor but the Redskins had better not sleep on tight end Gary Barnidge. Last year he made the Pro Bowl with 79 receptions for 1043 yards and nine touchdowns. He’s off to a slow start this year with just nine receptions for 103 yards but they still need to keep a close eye on him.

—I’ve said a few time this week that if Arie Kouandjio, after coming in as a fourth-round pick and spending two offseason programs, two training camps, and many hours in practices and meetings under Bill Callahan’s tutelage, can’t handle a game or two at guard the drafting and coaching involved need to be questioned. They have to start Kouandjio. And if it turns out he can’t handle it the Redskins could always shift back to the alignment they had in the second half last week with Trent Williams at left guard and Ty Nsekhe at left tackle. But that is only a “break glass in case of emergency” option. I think that Kouandjio will be fine and Williams will stay in place and Nsekhe will be on the bench.

—The Browns have given up 109 rushing yards per game this year, around the NFL average of 104 per game. They have been tested a bit with the Eagles rushing 34 times against them and the Ravens and Dolphins 26 and 25 times, respectively. The point here is that some are automatically assuming that the Redskins should get their running game going because they are playing an 0-3 team. Cleveland’s rushing defense may be too good for the Redskins to go out and take what they want on the ground, especially with their modified offensive line. The Redskins’ ideal game plan would be to build a lead through the air and spend the last 20 minutes of the game chewing up clock and yards on the ground. But that’s their formula nearly every game and it rarely seems to work out that way.

—In 2008 a Rams team that was 1-4 and would go 2-14 came to FedEx Field to play a 4-1 Redskins team. The Redskins were in control and driving for a second quarter score when a Jason Campbell pass was batted into the air. The ball fell into the arms of Washington guard Pete Kendall, who instinctively caught it. As he tried to get a few yards the ball was knocked out of his arms and Rams safety O.J. Atogwe scooped it up and went 75 yards for a touchdown. The Redskins never were able to recover and they lost the game. Something like that would have to happen for the Redskins to lose to the Browns today. Barring a fluke the Redskins should make it to the red zone like they have been but they should cash in when they get there.

Redskins 28, Browns 10

Tandler on Facebook

1. garg8050 - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:23 AM

I think the ‘Skins will move the ball up and down the field again, this time having more success in the red zone. The Browns will run the ball effectively early, but our defense will hold them to more field goals than touchdowns. I see the ‘Skins pulling away in the second half and coming away with a 34-23 or 34-19 victory.

2. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM

I hope so too, Rich. But if it isn’t working, let’s hope Gruden breaks that glass.

3. redskins12thman - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:39 AM

The Browns have lots of offensive weapons. Besides Pryor and Barnidge, who seemed to be a favorite target of Kessler, they have Johnson, Crowell and Hawkins. The Redskins defense will be tested.

Redskins must get penetration opposite center and RT.

Given Parkey’s recent form, I would welcome the Redskins holding Browns to field goal attempts.

I just want a win, ideally one that limits mistakes.

4. chad - Oct 2, 2016 at 8:19 AM

these are the games the redskins should win easily but somehow always seem to lose.

5. Eli - Oct 2, 2016 at 8:38 AM

I’d disagree that the fluke play in the very ugly 2008 Rams game you cite is the only kind of unusual scenario that would result in a Browns upset win. Sure the Browns are 0-3, but they were beating the 3-0 Ravens 20-2, and lost last week to Miami in OT. Meanwhile, the Skins could have vety easily lost last week to the Giants and have the same current 0-3 record as Cleveland.

The Skins are simply not good enough to presume that the Browns could not just outplay Washington today without some fluke event. The Skins SHOULD win today, but if this team isn’t fully prepared and providing maximum effort, intensity and intelligence then all bets are off. And the Skins could play well today and still lose.

6. sidepull - Oct 2, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Can the Redskins just not put it on Hopkins today? Its not that he cant handle it I just am tired of seeing 3 instead of 7. Do that. Score TD’s instead of walking away with a FG. That stuff can catch up to them as we have seen before. TD’s. More TD’s. They dont need to spot the Browns any points either before getting on with the game in earnest. I thought the Giants player shoved Dunbar into the ball. Right when we shut there drive down, are probably going to get decent field position,,,,then that. I dont want to see “that ” today. Just kick their rear-ends, get out without injuries, and lets get ready Bmore.

• sidepull - Oct 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM

And dont forget the first NFL game starts this morning @ 9:30!

7. COSSkinsFan - Oct 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Thanks for the stats. The red zone drought has to come to an end, hopefully soon. Despite all our deficiencies (every team has them) if we can bring our red zone performance to the average, we will win a lot of games.

8. kenlinkins - Oct 2, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Rich, I am going to have to disagree with whoever said the Browns are so bad this can not be a trap game. I have Cleveland winning this game 27-23. The Redskins just do not have the feel of a team getting better yet and Cleveland has played two pretty good games in a row but without a win. IMHO, take Cleveland and the points, then hope as Redskins fans the Browns do not find a way to win today. Unless the Redskins wake up in a big way today, Cleveland will place them at 1-3 and another CODE RED will be called. My Redskins heart will not allow me to pull for Cleveland just to win a bet, but my football brain tells me that the Redskins are falling back into bad habits and Cleveland may want this game more.

9. bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Sling the snot out of the ball for two and half quarters, then cruise.

If Cousins doesn’t throw for 300 yards, it’ll be because the Skins scored early and often. I give this game a 49% chance of looking like last year’s game against New Orleans.

• kenlinkins - Oct 2, 2016 at 10:53 AM

I agree and that is my big fear for my bet (i.e. take Cleveland and the points). If the Redskins go deep early and often I think that the Redskins can hurt the Browns, but IMO coach Gruden will try to run his normal system of a few runs, short passing game, and play action pass which Cleveland’s defense can stop. If coach Gruden is willing to break his normal pattern and air it out early, the Redskins could be up big and force Cleveland to gamble in hopes of getting even.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Even it is.

• kenlinkins - Oct 2, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Yes it is, and the Redskins only took one real deep throw, maybe they are saving it for 2nd half?

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Lots of cover two.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:31 PM

No deep throws wouldn’t even be an issue if we could tackle someone. So much for Ihenacho being able to “lay the wood.”

At least they’re running vs. the cover 2 like they should.

And this guys. This is what happens when you make Josh Norman travel with a receiver and play man. He’s an elite zone corner. Just let him do his thing.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:40 PM

10. skinsgame - Oct 2, 2016 at 10:59 AM

The Redskins should dominate this game, no matter who is playing LG and C. Both of those positions needed a shake up anyway. Just like on D, injuries may have forced the coaches to make improvements against their will.

• sidepull - Oct 2, 2016 at 11:37 AM

I too have thought that they have been a stubborn lot, the coaches that is. I just have to keep reminding myself that while I am at work they are watching these guys every day and for their reasons, are not hasty to make a change. This season, the continued selection of Bruton and Phillips just drove me crazy after watching the beating they were being handed by opposing offenses.

In any event, that stubborn streak worked out in Cousins favor, and to a degree Grudens, last season. I never would have let Cousins on the field after the first half of the TB game was over. I know, dont quit my day job. Forever a fan.

• skinsgame - Oct 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM

True. Very true.

11. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 2, 2016 at 1:13 PM

One possession, one red zone trip, one TD to Jordan Reed.

12. skinsgame - Oct 2, 2016 at 2:06 PM

As long as the willfully ignorant Redskins players continue to disrespect the symbol of the nation, I’m tuning out. Sick of this nonsense.

• Skulb - Oct 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM

Oh please. It’s just a flag and only as good as the values it currently represents. People have the right to speak out protest and even revolt, if things get bad enough. To quote some dead Americans:

“Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.”
      Hubert Humphrey

“Down through the centuries, this trick has been tried by various establishments throughout the world. They force people to get involved in the kind of examination that has only one aim and that is to stamp out dissent.”
      Pete Seeger

“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.”
      Howard Zinn

“Bring it on. Dissent is central to any democracy.”
      Harry Belafonte

“It’s so easy for propaganda to work, and dissent to be mocked.”
      Harold Pinter

“In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith.”
      J William Fulbright

“The injunction to be nice is used to deflect criticism and stifle the legitimate anger of dissent.”
      Malcolm Gladwell

Agree or disagree on a specific issue, it takes a lot of courage to speak out and none to stay silent when you disagree with what is going on. Reason enough to support people’s right to protest if you ask me. Even NFL athletes.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 3, 2016 at 1:36 AM

And he has the right not to like their protest and tune out. That’s a very different thing than saying they shouldn’t be allowed to protest.

I only bring this up because it seems like everyone is using veterans as a scapegoat for their outrage over this issue. And apparently you have to qualify your credentials before talking about it. But I am a veteran. And spent 21 months in Afghanistan on two separate combat deployments. I have zero issue with someone sitting down for the national anthem in protest. It’s their right and I think it’s great that people see a social problem and try to bring attention to it. Please don’t be outraged on my behalf.

But at the same time I also understand people being sick of seeing it at sporting events. This is a business. These guys are at work. And people pay money to go there as an escape from realty. It’s entertainment. If the players want to protest on their own time, that’s great. But those paying customers might now agree or want to hear it. Why should the NFL allow their cameras and platform to be used when the players can use their own private platforms? They have the right to protest, but they don’t necessarily have the right to protest at work. Would you expect Wal Mart employees to be allowed to hang up posters bashing Trump or Clinton at their cash register? Or wear campaign buttons?

The people who say it should be illegal to sit during the national anthem are ridiculous to me. But I also find the argument that these guys have the right to protest while at work equally ridiculous. And I’m so sick on the national anthem watch now. Like it’s news every time someone raises a fist. This has become like the ice bucket challenge. People are just doing it but not following through with anything after.

• Skulb - Oct 3, 2016 at 4:24 AM

Well said, and I agree with everything. Personally the thing I find the most silly is to play the national anthem at NFL games to begin with. This was not common practice before, and what does the NFL have to do with the military, patriotism or anything else? In every other country on the planet this stuff is reserved for when national teams compete against teams from other countries. Flags, anthems etc are not used in national or local events. Not in the USA either as far as I know, except for in the NFL. It’s very peculiar.
          As for veterans, they are only as worthy of respect as the wars they fought in in my opinion. I was opposed to these wars when they were launched and still am. They are not just wars and I see little reason why it needs to be a mandate that everyone honor or fawn over the veterans from them. If you disagree with the wars then this is a very unreasonable demand. And whatever people think this has absolutely nothing to do with the issues being protested by NFL players. And in my opinion they do have a right to express their views at work. There is nothing in the first amendment stating that it is supposed to be cancelled during work hours. In practice it usually is because people don’t like conflict. But you either have the right to free speech or you don’t, regardless of what an employer might think.

PS: I’m not going to mention other countries who also used to do flyovers, flags and anthems at their sporting events. Indeed some still do. OK I lied and am going to mention them.

North Korea, Nazi Germany and the USSR. Some fine company for the NFL right there.

• skinsgame - Oct 3, 2016 at 5:20 AM

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” -Abe Lincoln

They wouldn’t look so ridiculous if they were protesting, say, the enormous murder rate in Chicago or D.C.. As far as the whole 1st amendment claim, it’s hollow. The league threatened to pull the Super Bowl from Georgia because of a law that said that men couldn’t use the women’s restrooms. Their governor vetoed the law as a result. Where’s the concern for the 1st amendment rights of the people of that state? And the tradition of the Anthem at NFL games is a long established one, like it or not.

The league is turning completely unrelatable and the sharp decline in ratings should be a warning to the owners. I don’t want to tune in to social justice warriors decorating their shoes to protest police officers or pumping a racially motivated “Black Power” fist in my face. I just wanna watch a football game.

• Skulb - Oct 3, 2016 at 5:41 AM

No I get it. But like it or not this is legal behavior. I barely care what it is they are protesting about. I just care about them not being threatened, bullied or otherwise penalized for doing so.
          As for the NFL and its ratings, and again like it or not, it was the NFL itself that chose to politicize the games with their constant militarism, flyovers, flag sucking etc. They made it a political arena, not Colin Kaepernick. And if you don;t think it is political you’re not paying attention. It is, among other things, a celebration of military aggression, which is why it would be better to keep the games neutral in my opinion.
          The biggest SJW engaged in this issue is the NFL itself. We’re already into Pinktober and then there’s Armyvember after that. Not an occasion can pass without the NFL pretending to “honor the troops”. How do you think this makes pacifists and other critics of the past three US regimes feel?

So that’s why I support these people. We’re already halfway to having freedom of speech only if we agree with the government. Anything that counteracts this development I am in favor of, even if it affects TV ratings.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 3, 2016 at 2:56 PM

You made anther good point I should have brought up. Why do we play the national anthem before games? Some of the more ridiculous responses to come from all of this has been people acting like it’s in the bill of rights that we will play our anthem before the game. It’s really unnecessary and it’s not something that happens in a normal place of business. It’s also peer pressure patriotism. People stand for the anthem because they don’t want dirty looks. Not because they’re actually respecting the flag. Stop playing the anthem and people won’t be able to protest it.

I think Kap is an idiot for the way he handled all of this. Because everyone is talking about the national anthem and not the issue he is protesting. He also instantly turned off a ton of people to his cause before he even said a word. But it was effective in getting publicity and at least he actually threw his money where his mouth is. I’m proud of the young people in the nation who are standing up for what they believe in. I just think it could have been done a little better.

And I’ll also be proud of anyone who actually stops watching the NFL because they don’t like these protests. Because that’s their version of a protest and free speech and most people don’t actually care enough about anything to stop watching football. That’s two sides doing things the right way. Not turning to violence or other garbage. But the rest of the rhetoric to come from all of this is just crap. People are hiding their racism behind “respect for the troops,” and it makes me sick. I don’t care which side of this you’re on. Just say what you mean.

• Skulb - Oct 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM

You’re a good guy Trey. Well said again.

• skinsgame - Oct 4, 2016 at 7:35 AM

For the record, I think the national anthem before a sporting event is silly and has become almost comical with each singer attempting to outdo the other. Even so, due to the antics of the players, now it can’t be stopped. It was supposed to have a unifying effect that started way back during WWI so, you were wrong that it hasn’t been being done for very long. Can you imagine it not being played after 9/11? It’s a brief moment both of propaganda and patriotism and usually the only time anyone hears the song at all. I’m not sure how the whole “military aggression” and other facets became a part of this conversation but it’s far more silly when they fly war planes over the games, in my opinion.

I would love to have seen it stopped prior to all of this. Now if it is stopped, it will be defeat to dolts who are protesting likely dozens of awful acts by policemen while simultaneously ignoring tens of thousands of awful acts of their own. I don’t agree with you guys that their actions are somehow brave. I see them as ignorant, misplaced and even more silly than flying an F-16 over a baseball game. And they’re celebrities already.who love the spotlight.

13. bullets2586 - Oct 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Fire Joe Barry

• hail74 - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:05 PM

He can take every single one of these players with him.

14. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Three (3!!!) missed tackles on a 3rd and 8 and they give up the 1st down.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Isaiah Crowell looking like Matt Jones — EXCEPT he can break a tackle and then another tackle and then another.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Up until the fourth quarter I was going to suggest a new nickname for Jones — First Contact. Lots of yards BEFORE contact. Then in 4th qtr some broken tackles.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM

He does need to run a little harder. In the modern NFL we don’t run enough to be one of those guys who has to get hit in the mouth a few times before you get going.

This isn’t an excuse, he should be past this, but I think he’s still very much finding himself. Still developing. I get that he didn’t have a ton of carries last year but a second year guy really should be past that. Still, I don’t think we’ve seen his true potential yet. If we can keep finding ways to win then maybe we can be patient enough to let him learn. But I don’t see it happening without him getting plenty of carries. I think he’s been a big guy who could truck other players his whole life with little effort and he needs to keep getting hit to realize that’s not the case anymore and figure it out.

I would say overall it was a good game for him though. He found his groove eventually. And two Washington QBs had TDs today, albeit Thompson had one on a pass. I think that’s a good sign. We had a patchwork O-line and Cleveland has some guys up front. Danny Shelton is kind of a first round nose tackle and Ogba isn’t a chump.

I’ve been a big supporter of Kory but it’s undeniable that he’s not very good in the power run game. Enter Long and suddenly it improves. Once Lavao gets back (assuming he does) we should get an excellent push in the power game. I think we will start to see less zone runs and more G-power and power. Which is what Gruden wants and what Jones should excel at.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:54 PM

You mean until you placed your foot in your mouth?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Trey, Jones is still learning how to hit holes in the NFL. He didn’t run enough I college to know how to hit a hole with force. The dudes got talent and I don’t know why some can’t see that

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:22 PM

It’s not about talent but execution. Just rewatch the first drive. He leaves 15 yards on the field. There’s no reason to replace him but at the same time no need to credit him for the line’s work. What HAS been nice is his speed when he’s decisive and his quick sidestep but when he stutter steps and runs upright he gets VERY little yards after contact.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 3, 2016 at 1:22 AM

I honestly never really gave his light college workload much thought. But now that you bring it up, I think you’re right. He probably missed out on some good developmental years not getting enough carries at Florida. That could also have affected him having to learn how to keep his body right to avoid injury. All of which he should be learning now.

I agree that he’s an extremely talented athlete. I don’t think we’ve even come close to seeing his ceiling. But he’s flashed this year when he’s actually been allowed to run. Even against Pittsburgh. He had a run, I want to say about 7 min into the 3rd quarter, that was just spectacular. And he had a few really nice runs today. Then a couple others where you see his inexperience. But the potential is there and it’s starting to show more and more. I like Jones. Hope he works out and sticks around for a while.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM

He was breaking tackles because of poor tackling from our defense. None were wrapping up. Look at Jones stats! He had a good game.

• bullets2586 - Oct 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Have you noticed he runs well when he commits to hitting the hole? But whenever he starts doing the juking BS he sucks. They need to get it through his thick head that he has to hit the hole and stop thinking he can’t juke and trick the defenders into missing him. This is the NFL and not college.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Sure and give him time and he’ll start to hit the hole with more authority. Jones was not used much in college. However, he has two qualities you CAN’T coach …size and speed. I like how he reads blocks and sometimes he shows too much patience looking for the ideal hole. Even then he outruns the penetration and gets yards. There will be a point where he uses all his abilities to his advantage but it’ll take time.

15. bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:19 PM

That woman IS the WORST official in the NFL.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:25 PM

I assume you’re referring to the bogus holding on Scherff?

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:32 PM

That was crazy. But she gave us a PI that wasn’t not actually a PI.

Ben. I’m starting to wonder if you might be correct about the whole forced fumble issue.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Now just run Matt Jones to the win.

See. We don’t need Williams at guard to run well.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM

It’s all about intent and then it’s 60/40 defense in recovering.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Are you getting the feeling that they’re all kind of sitting back like they won a little too early?

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:16 PM

No. They did win . I have no idea how “High School Unifrms” got as many plays as they did. The Redskins got the ball back with 2:03 left and Cleveland only uses one timeout before getting the ball back? A helLuva a lot of garbage time.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I just get nervous. They could have scored in 3 plays with a few bombs to Pryor 2 pt. conversion, onside kick, then just need a FG. Would have liked to see them focus a little more until it’s truly over. But I wasn’t actually on the sideline so who knows? I could have misread it. They had a very good 4th quarter. I’m a happy fan.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM

What’s lost in the “fire Barry” crowd is six 2nd half points last week and three today. That’s getting it done.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:19 PM

What is also lost in the “fire Barry” crowd is he wasn’t given any upgrade on the Dline. Crav’ens has great potential but he was jacked up on that one run because he didn’t get his arms out in time. Barry needs more to work with before discrediting him.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 3, 2016 at 1:46 AM

Completely agree. Call me crazy (I know people will) but I’m not convinced Wade Phillips could do any better with this bunch. It’s not a good defensive roster. We quite possibly ha ebthe worat front 7 in the league and people just want to blame Barry when they can’t stop the run. Nobody wants to blame the players for missing tackles, being out of position, and making bonehead plays. But they get all the credit when they get a turnover. Where’s Barry’s credit for the game-winning turnovers in the past two games?

Where’s Barry’s credit for coaching the rookie sack leader last year? Or Murphy’s breakout season? Chris Baker had his best season as a pro right when Joe Barry arrived. Where’s his credit for that? We had a lot of these issues before Barry got here. Or didn’t we have some of the lowest ranked defenses in the league and I’m remembering it wrong?

Can’t have it both ways people. If you blame him for everything that goes wrong then you have to praise him for everything that goes well. Just like if you give McCloughan credit for everything that goes right he also deserves blame when things fail. There’s a double standard here. Where’s McCloughan’s blame for this D? I counted the their day. He’s made over 20 moves on defense in the two seasons he’s been here and most haven’t worked out so far. Where’s the blame?

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:54 PM

That and ALL the neutral zone infractions.

16. bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 3:43 PM

These refs should not be allowed on a football field ever again after this game

• hail74 - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM

The officiating in the Dallas game is just as bad.

17. sidepull - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Yea a phantom bow and arrow gets you a flag…

• Trey Gregory - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I really don’t understand that call. People can go TD dances, sack dances, and can runand jump around all excited after an INT but cent do a bow and arrow? Is it because it’s like shooting someone or something?

• bullets2586 - Oct 2, 2016 at 6:53 PM

yup, ok to watch Newton dance for 20 seconds, but not the bow and arrow. So stupid

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Yes. The shooting stuff. Stupid pc to the nth degree stuff.

• Skulb - Oct 3, 2016 at 12:29 AM

Doesn’t the Saints WR do this every single time he scores?

18. sidepull - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Norman rough 1st half but the guy has a knack for showing up when its most needed. Good game Josh.

Matt Jones is running and I think Gruden is taking note. Stsrting to get over Alf. Jones was running.

Defense …i can get updetvar Barry all week but he is not the one out there missing tackles.

And Cuz…i am still not sold on his as the franchise. He makes some really bone headed decisions wgen he needs to be at his best….under pressure. He just does some really stupid junk. Maybe a rookie mistake but hes well past those days.

Anyhow great win against a nice rushing team.

19. bangkokben - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Would you rather…
    …have the first or second place schedule?

1-3 Carolina & 1-2 Arizona OR
    3-1 Atlanta & 3-1 Seattle

Schedule. Schmedule.

20. kenlinkins - Oct 2, 2016 at 4:56 PM

The Browns have not yet learned how to finish games and are acting like a very young team. Questions: Do you think Browns coach Jackson hurt his team by calling out Terrell Pryor by name at half time on national TV? Do you think the Redskins defense should be given credit for winning the game with 3 turn overs in the last 16 minutes or did Cleveland hand them this win? Is the Redskins defense trying to strip the ball or are they really this bad at tackling? Does it seem that the Redskins are getting “out hit” and ending up getting more injuries or have the last two games just been against teams that hit better?

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 2, 2016 at 5:00 PM

It seems like every week whatever lead RB is playing against us has a career game.

Yes we got those fumbles which saved it for us, but this is every week and most teams are not going to turn the ball over like that.

• mtskins - Oct 2, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Another week. Another long list of improvements to be made. But it’s another win.

After being on Rich’s Under Pressure List nice to see Jones showing up in the Fourth. Despite everything 4 Games. Zero fumbles. (Although that one looked really dicey before he busted it for a long gain).

• bullets2586 - Oct 2, 2016 at 6:54 PM

It’s called Joe Barry D. Get used to it.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 3, 2016 at 1:08 AM

It might have something to do with the personnel too. Can you honestly tell me that most DCs would have this group playing any better?

I still have yet to personally see any specific “adjustments” that people want to see. “More pressure” isn’t really a specific adjustment or a solution to all of our problems.

What specifically is wrong with Barry’s defense? What’s wrong with the scheme?

• Trey Gregory - Oct 3, 2016 at 1:12 AM

Oh and I too have wondered if some of the bad tackling is due to them trying to strip the ball. That is an actual thing.

I remember around the time of bounty gate a bunch of former players came out and talked about how their teams had pools for stuff too. Like most forced fumbles. They said it really motivated guys to try and strip but it often led to bad tackling because guys wanted the strip so bad. It wasn’t about the money, it was about an individual competition between the players.

I’m not saying we’re for sure tackling bad because they’re trying to strip the ball. But it is one possible answer. But it could also be that they just didn’t work on it enough in the extremely limited practice time they have under the CBA.

21. Skulb - Oct 3, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Cousins hasn’t been awesome so far. We can all agree on that. But anyone who thinks he’s the big problem on this team is either blind or has some agenda. This is by far and away the WORST defense I have ever seen from a Redskins team. Third and 15+ is like an automatic conversion against it, and there basically is NO run defense of any kind. The tackling is abysmal, the pass rush middling at best and as a result our coverage gets pressured until it breaks. If it wasn’t for the turnovers they seem to have a knack of forcing this defense would be in stiff competition with last year’s Saints defense for worst all time.

There can be no playoff talk with this defense. They need to improve dramatically before it will even become possible. Second on my list is the coaches abandoning the run in the first two games. it definitely cost us the Dallas game. Cousins is a solid third, with missed passes, brain farts and now a three and out sack bonanza drive I had to pinch myself several times to believe actually happened. He needs to be better. But he’s good enough for us to be at least 3-1. Archives