Oct 1, 2016, 5:29 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, October 1, one day before the Washington Redskins host the Cleveland Browns.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Redskins Park; no media availability
—Days until: Redskins @ Ravens 8; Eagles @ Redskins 15; Redskins vs. Bengals in London 29
Five Redskins under pressure against the Browns
QB Kirk Cousins—Yes, they got the win against the Giants and Cousins protected the ball and he threw some good passes. But as long as the red zone woes continue Cousins remains on this weekly pressure list in Sharpie. In addition, his completion percentage is down six percentage points from last year, a sign that he’s off a bit.
RB Matt Jones—Jay Gruden didn’t exactly call him out for his running style in the first three quarters of the Giants game. But saying, “in the first three quarters there are some runs he didn’t cap off like we want him to,” as Gruden did on Thursday when asked about Jones isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. Jones needs to look at the film from the fourth quarter and copy that running style from snap No. 1 on Sunday.
G Arie Kouandjio—There’s always pressure in your first NFL start. He was never really in the race to start at left guard during the offseason and now is his chance to show that he belongs in the league. It may be his only chance so he needs to make the most of it.
S David Bruton—His play has come under fire from fans and media. There is a particular reason for concern in this game. Brown running back Isiah Crowell has runs of 85, 25, and 20 yards this year. A missed tackle when he gets to the second level could result in the kind of game-changing play the underdog Browns will need if they are going to pull off the upset. Bruton needs to be sure to wrap up.
DE Preston Smith—He has yet to live up to the breakout season hype that followed him ever since his hot finish to the 2015 season. It’s certainly not too late for him to have a very good season but he needs to get going at some point and Sunday against a rookie quarterback seems like as good a time as any.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Despite Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Josh Norman fined for play against Giants
- Redskins Playbook: Determining the OLB rotation
- Injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- NTK: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain