Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?

Sep 29, 2016, 5:14 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 29, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Cleveland Browns.

Today’s schedule: Joe Barry news conference 12:40; Practice 1:00; Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice, approx. 3 p.m.

Days until: Redskins @ Ravens 10; Eagles @ Redskins 17; Redskins vs. Bengals in London 32

Question of the day

Let’s see where the Redskins are in terms of run-pass ratio before we talking about running becoming “a thing of the past”. So far this year NFL teams have passed on about 60 percent of their plays from scrimmage and and they have run on 40 percent. The Redskins are at a 68-32 pass to run ratio so they are out of whack.

But they did start to get closer to the norm against the Giants on Sunday. In fact, they were more of a pound and ground team, passing on 55 percent of their snaps and running on 45 percent. So that’s a good sign if you want to see them run more.

The opener against the Steelers was their worst “abandon the run” the game. They thought that going to the air was the best way to attack the Pittsburgh defense and before they could really think about adjusting Big Ben and Antonio Brown had started rolling and they had to pass to try to stay in the game.

The game that was the real head scratcher in terms of play selection was the Dallas game. They passed 46 times and ran 17, a 73-27 run pass ratio.

That looks pass heavy but actually it’s worse when you consider that the Redskins had 26 snaps on first and 10 and they called runs on nine of them (Cousins scrambled twice). That’s a 65-35 pass to run ratio. Yes, it’s a pass happy league but so far this season on first and 10 NFL teams have passed 51 percent of the time and have run 49 percent.

Wait, there’s more. Here is what Kirk Cousins said during his news conference on the Wednesday following the game:

We saw on every first and 10 that we could chart, the Cowboys had played a two-deep structure, a Tampa-two structure, where they’re actually playing the pass. So that would tell you that on first and 10, they’re thinking, ‘They’re going to take a shot, they’re going to launch it deep, so let’s prevent that,’ and that’s where you love to run the ball. So on the very first play of the game, we handed it off.

But after that first play they rarely ran despite a defense that was set up to stop the pass. Despite that, you can look at the game flow and say that if Cousins had thrown one fewer pass–the interception in the end zone–the Redskins would have won.

Despite what happened in the Dallas and Pittsburgh games it’s too early to declare that the Redskins have abandoned the run for the 2016 season. Three games is a pretty small sample size. Despite his pass-happy reputation, in Cincinnati and in Washington Gruden usually ends up calling about as many running plays as the league average.

“Each opponent is going to be different, but we do want to have some kind of balance,” Gruden said on Wednesday. But the words of wisdom always dispensed here are to not listen to what they say but watch what they do. This topic definitely needs to be revisited around the bye week.

Tandler on Twitter

1. redskins12thman - Sep 29, 2016 at 5:20 AM

I think we need to establish the run against every opponent, including the Browns, even if they are relatively less effective in pass defense for the following reasons:

1. It’s not as if we can’t run the ball. While the O-line / TEs are not performing great when running, they’re okay and they need to improve as a group. Jones has shown well / better and Thompson can be effective as a change in pace option. Kelley should get his opportunity too.

2. Running really helps Kirk. With play action, opportunities open up for him as much as any formation / play call.

3. Running really helps our defense. We need to control the clock so our defense can rest. The Redskins defense was exhausted against the Steelers and Cowboys.

Here’s how I think o-line goes:

1. Get Sully up-to-speed ASAP; until then Long plays center
    2. As soon as healthy, Lauvao plays LG; until then Long is first choice
    3. If Lauvao or Long are unavailable to play LG, they’ll try Kouandjio, but if he struggles, Williams would play LG and Nsekhe would play LT

No one talks about the number of snaps Bruton continues to get despite his poor play; I find this odd…

2. redskins12thman - Sep 29, 2016 at 5:32 AM

The abysmal blocking by Garvin and Bruton resulted in the blocked Tress Way punt that could have disasterous if not for a bone headed play by Giants Andrew Adams. Have the Redskins corrected that mistake this week in practice?

We can’t have our punts or field goal attempts blocked!

Conversely it would be nice to get penetration on field goal attempts by opponents and continue to set up well for punt returns … It’s nice to see Crowder do better this season compared to last season! HTTR!

• Trey Gregory - Sep 29, 2016 at 2:26 PM

We can’t get beat in the A-gap like that. It’s unacceptable that it happened. Forget us getting penetration. They better focus on stopping it. WAY had every right to go over to the sideline and crack them in the head like a kicking net to OBJ. They could have gotten him hurt. We don’t have too many players on this team who are truly in the top echelon of what they do. But I believe Way is one of them. Gotta protect him.

• redskins12thman - Sep 29, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Agreed. I hope ST commits to more blocks this season. The lack of effort / attention to detail on the play was very disturbing.

3. colorofmyskinz - Sep 29, 2016 at 5:45 AM

Jones needs to get more touches. I felt that jones was just warming up toward the end of the Giants game.

We need to get him confident on plowing people over like he did last year. We need to get him into the game where he is a threat that tires people out. He is a back not even linebackers like to tackle. If your are first to Matt Jones you know it is going to hurt. Got to get him into the game and then our receiving Corp will be dangerous.

Until then our receiving Corp, which is world class, will be average. We need to force other teams to balance their defense to open up both sides of the game. We have mismatches everywhere if we can just show more balance. Without balance we might as well ask them to place dime packages on us every play.

• ET - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM

“If you are first to Matt Jones and he remembers not to run standing straight up you know it is going to hurt.”

There—fixed it for you!

(I do agree that once he gets rolling, Jones can be pretty impressive / terrifying.)

• Trey Gregory - Sep 29, 2016 at 2:46 PM

I agree with this but would add that I think Kelley needs to get some more reps. He was nervous, or wasn’t used to turf, or had the wrong cleates, or whatever and he slipped. But he picked up the blitz well in preseason and I want to see if he can do that in the regular season. He also appeared to have good visions on Sunday and looked like he would have gotten good gains if not for slipping. It’s a small sample size but it was true in preseason too. The only way to get him more comfortable out there is more carries.

I really think we might have a good RB on our hands with him. It’s frustrating that he’s not getting the opportunity. Jones is doing fine. But we can minimize his injury risk and keep the defense on their toes by running Kelley more.

The scary part of Jones to me is that it’s year 2 and he’s still running upright. He’s not punishing guys for tackling him because he goes down too easy. And he’s going to end up getting hurt for real running like that. I think he needs to feel some more competition from Kelley and also feel he has support if he’s not having the best game.

We need to get a campaign started to get both Jones and Kelley more carries. Last year we had MoJo. Maybe it’s Jelly this year? Yeah?

• nikoknight - Sep 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM

@ Trey: I’ll rock with Jelly…I agree 1000% on Kelly. The kid reminds me of Morris in a way. The obvious comparisons are small(er) school, late round pick (rookie FA) etc. But I think from the small sample size we’ve seen from him, he just seems like he has the ability to be a real professional. What I mean by that is doing the small things right. Whether it’s pass protection, or knowing where the first down is. The kid seems to have really good vision too. I have a been a proponent of his all season up to this point. I don’t think he’s the next Barry Sanders. He’s not going to blow you away with physical ability, much like Almo. But what he lacks in physical attributes, he may make up for in intangibles. I think he absolutely needs to see the field more. I think he could become a fan favorite in no time.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 29, 2016 at 3:48 PM

That’s basically exactly how I feel about Kelley too. He just impressed me with the little things in preseason. Didn’t seem like a rookie. Never thought of the Morris comparison but it works.

We will never really know unless he gets a chance. I just want to know what we have with him. Like you said, he’s not going to be the next 2,000 yard rusher but I think he can be good. Imagine if we never gave Dunbar a chance to play and he doesn’t get that goaline interception on Sunday. Or if Foster was in the game instead of Cravens. Let’s just dip a toe in the water and find out.

• chimps000 - Sep 30, 2016 at 8:41 AM

I’ll chime in too- absolutely jelly needs a look- I can’t understand why the coaches aren’t giving guys looks when some of
          the starters have been so underwhelming, including jones.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I think Kelly had happy feet and why I was moved to linebacker when I played eons ago.

It appeared to me he was trying to get his feet out faster than he needed. He just needs to calm down and he’ll do fine. If he runs under control and uses his vision he’ll be a back and a great compliment to Jones.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Great post Trey on the RB duo. I also agree 1000%. Nothing really to add which means you stole my thunder. So I hate you but just a little.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 30, 2016 at 12:10 AM

That’s what I’m here for. I’m not doing it right if at least a couple people aren’t mad at me.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Well stated Color! My fav comment of yours yet!

4. garg8050 - Sep 29, 2016 at 5:45 AM

Running the ball effectively enough sets up the play action, which Cousins excels at. It also allows the defense to rest, plus gets the o-line into the flow of the game.

Special teams do need to tighten up, especially with the Ravens coming up next week. That’s gonna be a tight, physical game; can’t afford any special teams gaffes.

5. colorofmyskinz - Sep 29, 2016 at 5:55 AM

I am excited about the Long sub vs Kory. And excited about Arie! Watch the run game change before your eyes.

6. colorofmyskinz - Sep 29, 2016 at 5:57 AM

When Jones clears the first level he is very dangerous. I call 150 yards for Jones on the Browns.

7. troylok - Sep 29, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Gruden’s lack of commitment to the run game is evident. There is not a lot of variety in the run game, so it seems the team has not put a lot of time in developing and practicing running plays. I think the offensive linemen have been coached more on pass protection. I draw this conclusion because on running plays I rarely see the offensive linemen getting to the second level, like they are used to defending a small box around the line of scrimmage. Finally, not having a fullback and not having a true blocking tight end are dead giveaways that Gruden isn’t committed to the running game.

8. wvredskins - Sep 29, 2016 at 7:10 AM

I would like to see Robert Kelley get more touches. He got 3 or 4 carries against the Giants and slipped on two of them. But if you look closely, it looked as if he had the opportunity to break a decent run on 1 or 2 of the slips. He just seems to see the field better in my opinion. Matt Jones has shown improvement, but there has been numerous times where he has missed the hole.

• troylok - Sep 29, 2016 at 7:45 AM

My feeling, too, but I suspect they are a little nervous about Kelley’s blitz pickups. That’s usually the last thing a rookie runner learns.

• redskins12thman - Sep 29, 2016 at 8:02 AM

I thought Kelley did very well (i.e., way above average) in blitz pickups during preseason.

I’m curious if Kelley had same length studs as Jones and Thompson in the Giants game. Does anyone know?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM

I think both Kelly and Jones should be used more. Those slips weren’t from bad cleats but nervous feet. Jones has more talent but I do like Kelly’s vision.

9. madness83 - Sep 29, 2016 at 8:08 AM

You’re giving Gruden too much credit for the final ratio. You probably didn’t see it on the Giants broadcast, since you were probably at the game, but at one point (I think the 3rd quarter), Fox put up the pass/run count, and it was 30 passes to 12 runs. With the game still in doubt, Gruden and McVay were over 2 to 1 passing.

That shows their true colors. I’m glad they went to the trenches on that game-winning drive, but it doesn’t represent how they want to call the game. Small sample size and everything. They want to pass, pass, pass.

10. bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 8:20 AM

Run schmun. Just win. Kirk, hit the open guy! Play decisively. Kirk needs to get in rhythm and get his mojo back. Then this offense will hum.

11. snyderisanidiot - Sep 29, 2016 at 8:30 AM

This is a passing offense in a passing league. Kirk needs to get his sh|t together.

12. skinsgame - Sep 29, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Kirk playing better would help the run effort, just as he did in NY. The run game also helps the defense as it keeps them sidelined and not trampled under foot. Time of possession is a great defense. But to own the line of scrimmage takes a solid O line and they don’t yet have it. Moses has been very bad at times and Lichty couldn’t move anyone off the point. Injuries may have done us all a favor on both sides of the ball, I’m sorry to say.

• Mr.moneylover - Sep 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM

I think something is wrong with kirk cousins arm its soar or something and jay gruden not helping things by not running the ball….Trent Williams at guard with Ty Nesheke playing Tackle you can basically run over D-linemen….what did o-line coach bill c. Had in dallas big guys who could play tackle play guard and run over guys until they score but no redskins don’t want that

• sidepull - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I too thought before the Giants game time of possession was going to be a deciding factor given that keeping the defense as rested as possible would be a much needed side effect. Weather its running the ball, dink and dunk, i dont care, I just didnt want to see the D on the field sucking air and hands on hips. D getting off the field on thirds and offenses converting on thirds is needed.. I hate that teams think nothing of going for it on 4th, at least it seems that way. The stats might prove otherwise.

13. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 9:03 AM

I don’t think the right recipe for a run/pass ratio is to follow or drive toward the league “average”. If a coach is scheming the offense based on what most other teams are doing then you are likely playing into the strengths of the defense. Also, most teams don’t earn a playoff spot so why look at a broad pattern that mostly consist of failed schemes?

The fact about Gruden’s career as an offensive coach is that he either fielded an average or below average run unit even when there was good talent to utilize. This tendency seems to have followed him here. I agree three games is not a good measure. I also saw a change in the run game in the second half that I really hope carries over into the season. Instead of peppering in a run among many pass attempts; there seemed to be more consecutive rushing attempts that actually manufactured first downs.

A running game wears down a defense line and establishes control of the clock. The running game is not going away in the NFL.

If this team is going to have success winning then it needs balance on offense. Balance is not 50/50 on attempts. It’s dictating to the defense that you can’t just sit back in a cover 2 deep on every down. It’s about making it more difficult for the defense to anticipate what the offense will do on most plays. This team just doesn’t have the elite talent at QB to be predictable passing almost 79% of the time. All the losing teams trying to follow this pass happy formula don’t have the talent to succeed using it. This is why many just keep on losing.

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Welcome to the 21st century JD. It isn’t about keeping up with the Jones or the aesthetic beauty of the forward pass but the rules of the game: Pass interference, roughing the passer, defensive holding, hitting a defenseless receiver, etc. These are first downs that are called with frequency in the NFL. Holding in pass pro is nearly extinct but alive and well when running the ball. These penalties and their effects on coverage are why the NFL ratio is what it is. The reason the Redskins ARE in the red zone as much as they are IS their passing game. Last year they were able to score TDs there even without a running game or a fade pattern. They NEED a running game to give them options inside the twenties but they lack the talent. Matt Jones is big guy that runs like a punt returner. The offensive line is inconsistent. These are the same problems as last year. Why should we expect this to suddenly be a non-issue. Conversely, Kirk Cousins was able to lead to scores and often in the red zone last year with a pisspoor running game. Kirk returning to form fixes the red zone issues and is more probable.

• sidepull - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Bang I saw a couple screens last game that I hadnt seen for a while. I swear I thought they ran slants pretty good last year. I dont think I have seen that may called so far. They were pretty quick hitting and pretty productive.

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM

They have called the quick slants but for whatever reason Kirk has been late with his throws. The 4th and short to Garcon against Dallas for instance. I wonder if Moses is getting blocked into the throwing lane. But this exactly one area that was working last year and by two accounts (Cooley and Keim) Kirk has been late on critical throws.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 29, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I see plenty of holding calls on pass protecting every week. And there’s still false starts on passing plays, offensive pass interferience, illegal formations, the O-line blocking too far down the field before a screen is thrown, fumbles, sacks, and interceptions. If the Giants just ran the ball 5 times, called their time outs, and kicked a field goal they probably win on Sunday.

There’s also the defense sitting back in cover 2 or some kind of dime package. I would love to hear an actual explanation for how you regularly beat these coverages so that I could write a book on it, sell it to every football coach in the nation, and get rich. Because the best minds in football don’t know how to do it but you insist it’s not a problem. The best coaches in football say having some sort of balance is essential to keep the defense balanced. Every now and then Bellichick will call an absurdly pass heavy game but he has Tom Brady, he’s the best coach to ever live, and he doesn’t do it all the time. We got humiliated week 1 passing how you wanted and we lost a game we should have won week 2 passing too much. Why are you so confident that’s the best way to do it when all evidence points to the contrary? Including just about everyone who ever worked in professional football saying so.

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM

What evidence? The evidence suggests that if Cousins hits the open receiver in the timing of the offense — something he had NO PROBLEM doing in 2015 — the Redskins are 3-0 winning a close one against the Steelers and there are loads of open guys.

Each play is its own entity and the success of each play accomplishes victory. Balance on offense increases the probability of success of each play by keeping the defense off balance provided both running and passing are competent but it doesn’t determine success. The Redskins first semblance of a competent running game in a whole calendar year didn’t emerge until the fourth quarter last week against all odds. But this wasn’t balance until you look at the box score. It’s pass, pass, pass, now let’s run, it’s not too bad let’s run some more.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM

“Ifs” are not part of evidence. When a QB isn’t hitting his receivers you need a run game to rely on to carry the team. The only evidence we have is that Cousins hasn’t been as accurate as you assume he should be. The evidence is that there were different opponents on the field and getting the ball to the receiver hasn’t been as easy for him. Maybe the defenses played some role in making it more difficult for Cousins to throw the ball with the same level of confidence.

The only evidence that exist about this offense is that the QB is not as accurate as we want. Quit dwelling on 2015 since conditions are now different, and you can’t just assume those same “fantastic” passes that occurred last season will come so easily this season.

We are lucky not to be 0-3 right now

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Holding on pass protection is only going extinct in your one demsional understanding of the game. New England had no issue running the ball 37 times and passing 19 while winning easily. They did this because they actually understand they don’t have the QB to force throwing attempts well over rushing.

Sure CBs are at a disadvantage with the rules but it doesn’t justify the dink and dunk passing that nets what a running play can provide. Throw downfield more often then you can leverage those rules.

You don’t need to pass over 60% of the time to win. The Panthers ran the ball 526 while making 501 passing attempts in 2015.

That’s the thing about you, Bang. You are hung up on the aesthetics of the game and getting lost in the facts.

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM

It’s not about aesthetics it’s about strengths. When the running game becomes a strength which it isn’t even close right now. I’ll have a different tune. If this is the new Cousins, passing won’t be a strength either. Wanting the run game to be strong doesn’t make it a strength.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM

The confidence in the run game in lies our key difference.

I think what little has been given to a run game looks improved. I think Matt Jones looks improved. I’d like to see more Robert Kelly coming in relief of Jones. It may not be a great strength on this offense, but I think those two combined with Thonpson can contribute more and take some heat off of Cousins. It’s not easy for every QB to drop back and throw that often without making mistakes or develop slumps.

The strength and potential by far still belongs to the passing game. I just want to see enough running to force the defenses have to respect it. Maybe, you’ll be right and the running will just stall more drives or force more third and longs. I’m willing to run more to find out.

• chimps000 - Sep 30, 2016 at 8:57 AM

bang and redskins both make good points. If cousins hits even half of the wide open wrs he has had with not pressure, he team is 2-1 at least. If he plays as he did the last 6
          games last year, we might have actually jumped to decent leads, and been able
          to call more a more conservative game plan with more runs.

That said, when we actually had some success running against Dallas, against a terrible dline and a bad defense, and with cousins playing poorly, we should have run the ball more. Cousins needs help to get out of his funk, and a decent run game is a QBs best friend. Last year we were stubborn running when it wasn’t working- this year when it did work and cousins was off the coaches didn’t stick with it- been a weird start to the season.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 6:40 PM

What about Cousins piss poor accuracy? No that had nothing to do with losing to the Cowboys. Meanwhile the running game showed some signs of life but was abandon while Cousins passed us out of a win. Great strategy Bang

• Trey Gregory - Sep 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM

And if we run when we’re on the goal line maybe we get a TD. And if we run when Cousins threw that end zone INT maybe it doesn’t work but we still come away with 3. Gruden himself recently said we’re seeing more zone coverage in the red zone than we did last year. The defenses adjusted to our passing attack. And they’re going to keep doing that until they feel they have to put an extra guy or two in the box and play man on the receivers.

Right now any defense, even with a bad secondary like the Steelers, can shut down our red zone passing by essentially standing in equal shares of the end zone and just breaking toward any pass that’s thrown. They take away every throw by doing that. We can’t get the matchups we want to win. It’s how not running affects the pass that’s the problem.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I agree Trey and while I’m certainly not sold on our run game; as you alluded to we have to still try. The key word you provided is adjust. Defenses know this offense is overly pass happy and willing to get burned by the run game. This is why balance is so critical for our offense and why we are staring at 1-2. Cousins can’t win on his own against better defenses and against “adjustments” DCs have made to make Kirk’s job more difficult.

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Maybe I’m not making myself clear. Cousins inability to play at his 2015 AVERAGE level is why the team is 1-2 instead of 3-0. It’s not the game plan but the execution but you feel free to misinterpret that too.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 30, 2016 at 2:56 AM

We’re 1-2 instead of 3-0 because this team isn’t really that good. Why isn’t that an option that we’re talking about? Our O-line has major issues run blocking, our QB is missing reads and throwing innacurate passes, nobody onnthe front 7 is getting good pressure, nobody on the front 7 is doing a good job stopping the run, we have one good CB and the rest of the secondary is struggling, we have poor tackling, our Mike linebacker seems to always be in the wrong spot, our TEs are mediocre blockers at best, our #1 RB runs too upright to be truly effective, we get sloppy penalties no matter if we run or pass, and we’re passing at a historically high rate without a historically good QB. Why can’t those be the reasons we’re 1-2?

Ben. Is it even a possibility to you that Cousins’ play has regressed because we’re asking him to do too much? Because we put too much pressure on him. That if we only asked him to throw 20 passes a game maybe he would complete 70% and look great? Is there any chance that passing too much is what’s wrong with the pass?

• bangkokben - Sep 30, 2016 at 8:17 AM

Simply, no. Everything you mentioned was a question mark going into the season except Norman and Cousins had a longer track record of playing at an above average level. Norman longer and higher — about 24 games. Cousins only 16 games. Norman is in a new system with a new contract but he is living up to expectations. Cousins may be under the pressure of shouldering a team BUT that was the plan this season. Logically one could assume that defenses have figured out the Redskins scheme and have made it harder for Kirk. However, this isn’t the case. There are guys open and he hasn’t pulled the trigger. That doesn’t mean that the play calling has been perfect or isn’t part of this puzzle. It is but it has been good enough to score 35 a game this year.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM

I’ll make myself clear. The heavy passing execution is great if you have Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady behind center.

The fact is that most QBs even in the NFL today will miss open targets, throw I’ll-advised interceptions, and fail to see that wide open receiver. Cousins is just being who many QBs in the NFL are today. So maybe he’ll light it up some games and then continue to regress on others. He may never be that accurate passer in every game you assume him to be. More simply put, he may just not be elite now or ever. Defenses will find ways to challenge him and I think Couisns is mostly struggling to adjust to those challenges.

The point is that you’ll still chant on about this great one way passing scheme that has no way to bail out a struggling QB. I want to emphasize the running game more so that there are other options when Kirk is less iJohnny Unitas and more Rex Grossman.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 30, 2016 at 3:03 AM

But even Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady don’t pass this much. Because they know what the run does for them. What has everyone been saying about the Packers since like 2011 or 2012? That Rogers needs a real run game to be successful. That’s why Eddy Lacey is the second most talked about guy in Green Bay. Peyton talked about his desire to remain balanced all the time and he went out of his way to do it, even when it didn’t work. And he had great receiving corpses with guys like Demarius Thomas, Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas, and Emmanuel Sanders to throw to. Denver’s QB was better than ours, receivers were just as good if not better, the O-line had issues, and they didn’t exactly have AP in the backfield. But they ran a balanced passing offense anyway and set passing records doing it. Peyton didn’t just look at his receivers and say, “I can throw it 80% of the time and be better.”

14. Mr.moneylover - Sep 29, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Jay gruden gonna wear down kirk cousins arm …and they stupid for not keeping what worked for they running game …ty Nesheke at Tackle and Trent Williams at guard I thought was a brilliant move that shouldnt be changed and there they go bein dumb putting arie kouandjiou in there and he struggle to get to the second level he regress this off-season but they gonna put him in…I need the redskins email address just to tell them how dumb they is for always finding ways to shot they self in the foot by making these crazy decisions …like with 6 seconds left why not kick the damn field goal your asking for a lost lucky su’a was on our side because giants was moving that ball until she’s made a play…coaches need to get out of they own ass….if I see a fade this week ima pull somebody else hair out I cant pull mine haircut but you get my point

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:08 PM

What worked for their running game was the Giants defense being gassed.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Jones broke tackles, period! if the Defense was gassed then maybe it had something to do with running the ball 30 times instead 17 in a game for once this season.

• bangkokben - Sep 30, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Yep that’s it. Just look at the play by play. The Redskins are hardly running the ball so much so that you comment about the lack of back to back runs during the game. They’re averaging less than four yards a carry and THAT is gassing the Giants.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 29, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Kouandjio should be on a short leash. You can’t take a talented player like TW and play him at guard in every down. I wouldn’t mind seeing that jumbo formation at times like in the red zone. However, TY blocking the blind side against the best edge rushers in the game does not put this offense in a better scenario. That’s playing with fire my friend when you know this offense depends on the passing game.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 30, 2016 at 2:46 AM

I also can’t believe that more people aren’t acknowledging that there was also a change at center which could have had something to do with the improvement in the run game. People complained about Kory all summer. He goes out, the run game gets better, and it’s because Trent moved over a few feet? There’s not even a possibility it was because Long got a better push than Kory?

Also can’t believe people aren’t acknowledging that it was a very small sample size and that maybe it won’t work as well when teams can game plan for it. I can’t believe this is even a serious discussion.

15. renhoekk2 - Sep 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM

It’s very frustrating. They knew they had problems in the run game last season. They thought doing nothing about it, that another year of the same players and coaches would fix it somehow. That is one possible explanation. The other is they knew they were bad last season and chose to do nothing about it because they decided “we’ll just pass 70-80 percent of the time instead. We don’t need to run the ball”. Neither explanation is acceptable. You can’t have one of the statically worst RB in the league and not bring another serious RB in to challenge him for his job. Perry Riley had competition and lost his job. Stepehen Paea had competition and lost his. They talk about how competition makes position groups and rosters stronger, but then turn around and have ZERO competition at one of the weakest, if not the weakest positions on the roster. Just imagine how good the offense could be if opposing teams had to game plan and to stop both the running game and the passing game. I guarantee you no DC in the league is game planning for the Redskins running game. Why would they? They game plan and play for the pass and if they happen to hand it off to Jones then they deal with it then. They are not calling defensive plays thinking we need to stop Matt Jones on this play. Ever.

• bangkokben - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM

“They are not calling defensive plays thinking we need to stop Matt Jones on this play. Ever.”

That is exactly right and the coaches AND qb need to take advantage of it. The problem is the opposition sees film too and they can see that the Redskins as a unit fail in all aspects in all levels. They have a linemen missing an assignment, or tight ends getting beat on one-on-one match-ups and a back that doesn’t make you miss in the backfield. There is zero need to game plan because the Redskins running game will likely self-destruct. The Giants almost got away with that approach.

• chimps000 - Sep 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM

renhoekk well said. Add to that going into the season with your starting secondary being a career backup in bruton, D Hall who is small, had major injuries, and never had success at safety, starting a guy like Phillips who never had any success- if it wasn’t for Norman that has to be the worst secondary in the league.

And we aren’t even talking about the talent level on the dline and the lack of addressing that.

16. smotion55 - Sep 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Every game and team are different just like the matchups in every game are different. The way Jones was running at the end of that game gives me hope that he finally realizes that when he lowers his shoulders the other guy is more likely miss the tackle or get hurt then he is. Always lower and deliver the blow in the hole is the only way to go. It would be nice if Kelley gets 8-10 carries in short time span and a new pair of shoes just to get him going.

I also believe they have gone way over the norm to get Kirk into a rhythm this year hoping he is the future QB for this team. He was better last week but still is leaving way to much out there. Say what you want about Gruden but he is very good at drawing up the offense. Kirk is still learning the different ways teams are playing against him this year and we will not know if he is the guy until the year is over. { Unless he regresses to the point that McCoy gets put in } Then we will know earlier

17. greed - Sep 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM

gruden has to realise that because we have so many passing weapons that the pittsburg dallas style of defense is how teams are going to defend us until we prove we can effectively run the ball Archives