Sep 24, 2016, 4:43 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, September 24, one day before the Washington Redskins visit the New York Giants.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Redskins Park before departing for New York; no media availability
—Days until: Browns @ Redskins 8; Redskins @ Ravens 15; Eagles @ Redskins 23
Five Redskins who will the under pressure on Sunday
QB Kirk Cousins—He’s on this list every week in Sharpie until he comes through in the red zone and on third down. A lot of other aspects of this team need to improve for them to become a consistent winner but the list starts with the $20 million man.
RB Matt Jones—I get the feeling that the Redskins coaches may overcompensate for their lack of run play calls in the first two games. That would mean a heavy workload for Jones. He will need to remain effective (4.3 yards/carry) and continue to hold on to the ball.
CB Josh Norman—It looks like he will end up on Odell Beckham Jr. the vast majority of the snaps. Fans who wanted this matchup to happen may regret getting what they asked for. Last year Beckham caught six passes for 76 yards and a touchdown against the Panthers and he beat Norman a few other times but Eli Manning either didn’t see him or didn’t have time to get the ball to him. Norman has been playing well but if he is going to demonstrate that he is indeed the best cornerback on the planet it’s time for him to start proving it.
S David Bruton—Bruton has had the whole litany of problems this year—missed tackles, bad angles, wrong place at the wrong time. He has Duke Ihenacho waiting in the wings and if he doesn’t pull it together soon Bruton could find himself watching while Ihenacho plays.
CB Dashaun Phillips—With the return of Victor Cruz, the Giants line up with three quality receivers on most plays. If Phillips doesn’t play well he will be exposed by Beckham, Cruz, or rookie Sterling Shepard. Quinton Dunbar did pretty well matched up with Beckham at FedEx Field last November and he could come in to replace Phillips.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring