Sep 17, 2016, 5:29 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, September 17, one day before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Redskins Park, no media availability
—Days until: Browns @ Redskins 15; Redskins @ Ravens 22; Eagles @ Redskins 29
Five under pressure vs. the Cowboys
QB Kirk Cousins—Here he is atop the list again this week. He can’t afford a stumbling start like he had last year, not with the Redskins’ schedule dictating a fast start if they are going to be in the playoff hunt. Cousins wasn’t the reason they lost but he didn’t do much to lift up his team either. When you’re getting a $20 million salary and you want to make more, expectations are high.
C Kory Lichtensteiger—His job was threatened on multiple occasions during the offseason. On opening night he commits two false starts and is in the center of a line that couldn’t open up many holes in the running game. The veteran needs to have a mistake free game.
DE Chris Baker—As Baker goes, so goes the Redskins’ defensive line and they will need to have a good day against the Cowboys. Although the Dallas rushing attack sputtered somewhat against the Giants that line is too good and Ezekiel Elliott is too talent for anyone to relax.
ILB Will Compton—He will be calling defensive audibles while rookie QB Dak Prescott is making his call at the line. The Redskins want to see Prescott playing checkers while Compton is playing chess. Compton and the other linebackers also have to make sure they are solid against the run also. If Dallas gets it s running game going it won’t matter who’s handing off it Elliott and Alfred Morris.
CB Josh Norman—The Steelers debacle wasn’t on him, no matter how you slice it. But he needs to start showing that he is worth the sizable investment the Redskins made in him. When he is on Dez Bryant he needs to shut him down. When he isn’t on Bryant he needs to shut the other receiver down. And making a big play or two would certainly help things.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Redskins-Cowboys injury report: Two defensive players out vs. Cowboys
- Williams questionable vs. Cowboys
- Talking points: Redskins don’t underrate Garçon
- NTK: Jones looks forward to seeing “big brother” Morris
- No goal for Redskins rushing attack, but must be better
- Trent Williams misses practice
- Redskins Playbook: Looking for healthy players on O/D lines
- UPDATE: Redskins cut deal with Uber
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?