Sep 17, 2016, 5:29 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, September 17, one day before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Redskins Park, no media availability
—Days until: Browns @ Redskins 15; Redskins @ Ravens 22; Eagles @ Redskins 29
Five under pressure vs. the Cowboys
QB Kirk Cousins—Here he is atop the list again this week. He can’t afford a stumbling start like he had last year, not with the Redskins’ schedule dictating a fast start if they are going to be in the playoff hunt. Cousins wasn’t the reason they lost but he didn’t do much to lift up his team either. When you’re getting a $20 million salary and you want to make more, expectations are high.
C Kory Lichtensteiger—His job was threatened on multiple occasions during the offseason. On opening night he commits two false starts and is in the center of a line that couldn’t open up many holes in the running game. The veteran needs to have a mistake free game.
DE Chris Baker—As Baker goes, so goes the Redskins’ defensive line and they will need to have a good day against the Cowboys. Although the Dallas rushing attack sputtered somewhat against the Giants that line is too good and Ezekiel Elliott is too talent for anyone to relax.
ILB Will Compton—He will be calling defensive audibles while rookie QB Dak Prescott is making his call at the line. The Redskins want to see Prescott playing checkers while Compton is playing chess. Compton and the other linebackers also have to make sure they are solid against the run also. If Dallas gets it s running game going it won’t matter who’s handing off it Elliott and Alfred Morris.
CB Josh Norman—The Steelers debacle wasn’t on him, no matter how you slice it. But he needs to start showing that he is worth the sizable investment the Redskins made in him. When he is on Dez Bryant he needs to shut him down. When he isn’t on Bryant he needs to shut the other receiver down. And making a big play or two would certainly help things.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Redskins-Cowboys injury report: Two defensive players out vs. Cowboys
- Williams questionable vs. Cowboys
- Talking points: Redskins don’t underrate Garçon
- NTK: Jones looks forward to seeing “big brother” Morris
- No goal for Redskins rushing attack, but must be better
- Trent Williams misses practice
- Redskins Playbook: Looking for healthy players on O/D lines
- UPDATE: Redskins cut deal with Uber
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown
- Jordan Reed, Josh Norman in for early part of Redskins practice; Matt Jones out
- Statistic Surprise - Redskins used Su'a Cravens sparingly against Detroit
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Barstool Nate professes love for Kirk Cousins & London football
- State of the Redskins, Week 8—A very long business trip on tap
- Need to Know: First look at Redskins vs. Bengals—Which team is more desperate?
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant