Sep 11, 2016, 10:45 AM EDT
Here is a Redskins-centric look around the NFL as Week 1 approaches.
—There are two games today that involve four of the Redskins’ five opponents. The first one is in Philadelphia with the Eagles (Week 6) hosting the Browns (Week 4). The Browns’ quarterback, of course, will forever be linked to the Redskins in terms of what could have been. We will find out early on if Robert Griffin III has improved his ability to make quick decisions. The Browns offensive line is shaky at best and Griffin won’t have much time to think as he stands in the pocket. The longer term concern for the Redskins is the other quarterback in the game, Carson Wentz. If he works out he could be a thorn in the Redskins’ collective sides for years to come. But for today, he’s a rookie out of North Dakota State making his first NFL start and he should have his struggles.
—The other game is of more immediate concern to the Redskins as their next two opponents are facing each other. The Giants (Week 3) go to Dallas (Week 2) and the headline is Dak Prescott’s NFL debut. It’s hard to believe that his performance will live up to all of the Texas-sized hype that his preseason performance has generated but we will see. We do know that some quality control coaches will start to break down film of Prescott just as soon as it’s available. It’s also the debut of Giants coach Ben McAdoo, who was promoted after Tom Coughlin resigned or was fired or whatever actually happened.
—The other team the Redskins face in the first six weeks, the Ravens (Week 5), host Rex Ryan’s Bills today. Baltimore was racked by injuries last year; that has changed some but they still have an extensive injury list including pass rusher Elvis Dumervil. But Joe Flacco is back and while he’s not elite he can get the job done.
—It’s too early to take a look at other games that could affect the Redskins and their playoff chances down the line. Many of the top NFC teams are in interconference play with the Packers playing the Jaguars, the Cardinals hosting the Patriots, and the Seahawks playing the Dolphins.
—It doesn’t look like any former Redskins besides Griffin will play key roles for their teams today, although we will see how that develops as the games unfold.
—I’ll finish up with a few picks. I like the Eagles -4 over the Browns, the Raiders +1 over the Saints, and the Cardinals -6 over the banged-up Patriots. Redskins pick in tomorrow’s Need to Know post.
This is an open thread to comment on the games of the day.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain
- Redskins one of the best in NFL at preventing long plays
- Redskins without two key offensive players at Thursday's practice
- A few plays here and there could have led to different results for the Redskins
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins shuts down report he's affected by criticism: 'Not accurate'
- DeAngelo Hall appreciates Brian Mitchell's response to Stephen A. Smith on Redskins comments
- Kirk Cousins has apparently never said a bad word in front of Jay Gruden