A Redskins-centric look around the NFL—Week 1

Sep 11, 2016, 10:45 AM EDT

Here is a Redskins-centric look around the NFL as Week 1 approaches.

—There are two games today that involve four of the Redskins’ five opponents. The first one is in Philadelphia with the Eagles (Week 6) hosting the Browns (Week 4). The Browns’ quarterback, of course, will forever be linked to the Redskins in terms of what could have been. We will find out early on if Robert Griffin III has improved his ability to make quick decisions. The Browns offensive line is shaky at best and Griffin won’t have much time to think as he stands in the pocket. The longer term concern for the Redskins is the other quarterback in the game, Carson Wentz. If he works out he could be a thorn in the Redskins’ collective sides for years to come. But for today, he’s a rookie out of North Dakota State making his first NFL start and he should have his struggles.

—The other game is of more immediate concern to the Redskins as their next two opponents are facing each other. The Giants (Week 3) go to Dallas (Week 2) and the headline is Dak Prescott’s NFL debut. It’s hard to believe that his performance will live up to all of the Texas-sized hype that his preseason performance has generated but we will see. We do know that some quality control coaches will start to break down film of Prescott just as soon as it’s available. It’s also the debut of Giants coach Ben McAdoo, who was promoted after Tom Coughlin resigned or was fired or whatever actually happened.

—The other team the Redskins face in the first six weeks, the Ravens (Week 5), host Rex Ryan’s Bills today. Baltimore was racked by injuries last year; that has changed some but they still have an extensive injury list including pass rusher Elvis Dumervil. But Joe Flacco is back and while he’s not elite he can get the job done.

—It’s too early to take a look at other games that could affect the Redskins and their playoff chances down the line. Many of the top NFC teams are in interconference play with the Packers playing the Jaguars, the Cardinals hosting the Patriots, and the Seahawks playing the Dolphins.

—It doesn’t look like any former Redskins besides Griffin will play key roles for their teams today, although we will see how that develops as the games unfold.

—I’ll finish up with a few picks. I like the Eagles -4 over the Browns, the Raiders +1 over the Saints, and the Cardinals -6 over the banged-up Patriots. Redskins pick in tomorrow’s Need to Know post.

This is an open thread to comment on the games of the day.

1. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Football is back! Woohoo!

2. redskins12thman - Sep 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Can’t wait for the games to unfold. You highlight the two games I’ll watch closely today — Eagles vs. Browns and Cowboys vs. Giants.

A lot of people dismissed the Cowboys once Romo was injured, but I think Dallas will be much better than they were last year.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Well they better be. They didn’t just lose Romo last year. They lost Dez too. I haven’t bought into the Dak hype yet but at least he has been with them all offseason. Their run game wasn’t bad last year but it should be much better this year. It will just be a colossal failure if they don’t win more than 4 games.

3. colorofmyskinz - Sep 11, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Over/under on number of Griffin sacks I place at 4.

I take the over.

Griffin is a sack taking machine if he does not implement read option.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM

It it comes with 4 TD passes then it doesn’t matter. Hoping the worst on a guy who sacrificed a leg to get us into the playoffs is classless.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM

He’s a good guy too. I don’t know, maybe the fame and success got to his head and he changed a bit. But somewhere in there he’s a very nice kid. I have yet to speak to anyone at Baylor who knew him and doesn’t think the world of him. And I’ve talked to A LOT of people who knew/know him.

It’s impossible for me to not root for an underdog. I doubt Cleveland even wins 6 games this year but I’ll still be hoping the individual players do well.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM

You might be the only guy on here that watched more RG3 at Baylor than I did. I was sold on him when he played Oklahoma. It had nothing to do with the Hail Mary which most recall. It had to do with how precise his throws were even way down field. He showed his greatness there that was only matched when he beat Dallas on that one Thanksgiving game. The greatness in this man is there and he just need guidance. No doubt he made is own share of mistakes as a very young person starting at QB in the NFL. It’s ironic where I see his biggest mistakes were overcommiting on the field early that culminated into many key injuries and trying to display confidence in a very difficult position without enough display of humili8ty. He was trying to play the role as leader among men at a very early age. Who wouldn’t make mistakes along the way. He gets no benefit of the doubt from many Redskin Fans regardless of the little success he did bring here.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Yeah I agree buddy. RG3 was a special, special college QB. I honestly wasn’t too sure about him transitioning to the NFL mostly because I know that Baylor offense and how much RG3 had to learn.

But he put my doubts to rest in 2012. And I’m not talking about the read option/zone read. A lot of people forget (obviously not you) just how good of a passer he was that season too. Yes, incredible deep ball. But also just about every other pass. He was accurate, hit guys in stride, had plenty of velocity, and didn’t turn the ball over.

A LOT went wrong after that that we could talk about for days. But I know that guy is still in him somewhere. People love to judge. But you’re right. So many of us would have stumbled in his shoes too. He became too famous too fast and that’s hard for a young Army brat from small town Texas. He’s a good guy who just needs to get his head back and be will be fine. I think Hue is the perfect guy for that.

He looked OK today. He wasn’t getting much help from the offense. He was still holding onto the ball a little too long but the pressure got there quickly too. His top two receivers are very inexperienced, Barnage was dropping balls, and protection wasn’t holding up. Kind of hard to really evaluate him. But I was shocked with Cleveland’s defense. Carl Nassib looks like a hell of a 3rd round pick.

• redskinsreturntoglory - Sep 12, 2016 at 10:31 AM

I read a post from around his Draft time that totally contradicts what you say. He had the same type of issues he presented here, so there were more than rumblings. It was a post out of a small GB paper so not somewhere that was motivated to bash RG3. Now that doesn’t mean he isn’t likable but he can rub teammates and people the wrong way with the ME first type thing, blaming others for failures. Especially when a team loses.

The guy clearly has talent, his ego got the best of him. He needed some perspective but also needed to learn how to be a Pro Style QB. When he refused to run certain plays,, it hurt him. I do think his injury played a part but that again was his ME ME ME…the Hero mentality. When Cousins came in in relief, won that game and then played well, he wanted no part of it. Listening to Cousins getting his praise…NOT!! So that next year, ready or not, he was going to play. It really started in that SEA game when he should of come out. The Doctor, Owner and Coach did him no favors but he should of come out when we were up 14-0 and Cousins would of had momentum. Instead the tide turned, he had no chance at that point against that defense.

In the end it wasn’t All on RG3 but he created a storm which killed the team. At the same time he struggled getting rid of the ball, reading defenses and I’m not sure that doesn’t continue. He has to play to improve but many great College QBs just never adapt to pressure and once defenses started hitting him, he held the ball more and more.I do hope he figures it out. He is a bit misunderstood and probably has received some bad advice with his father’s meddling and those close to him coddling him, blaming others. Just my opinion based on all Ive read….

• Trey Gregory - Sep 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM

I’m not basing my opinion off of what I’ve read. If your point is that a star college QB had an ego, then fine. He did just like evey other star college QB ever. And groups of young men will have issues with each other from time to time. So I’m not saying there were never any issues at all. But I am personally friends with one of his former teammates and he loves the guy. Talked to other former teammates and they have nothing bad to say. Talked to coaches and they have nothing bad to say. So, I’ll trust them over something you read around draft time and your opinion based from watching on TV.

• redskinsreturntoglory - Sep 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM

It all came from professional College Scouts, NFL Reporters. You saying ESPN, NFL Tandler CBS Sports all those are coming up with BS LOL It wasn’t about him not being likable but you think Jackson and Garcon were tweaked for no reason? Its one thing to play in College and a totally different thing being a long term successful, quality, star NFL QB. Something he thought he was when he had so much growth to even be close. You think last year was an accident? Cousins stats? RG3 is already done for the year! He is NOT what he and his people think he is as an NFL QB. That is what rubbed guys the wrong way, him throwing others under the bus. Not that he wasn’t friendly, smart, charismatic guy. He just had another side too in the NFL. My friend was standing on the field prior to a Game, RG3, his Parents where right there when Grunden walked by and said hello, none of them even responded back. They were looking right at him. That is arrogance and immaturity. He just isn’t going to be an NFL starting QB…not a great one. Nevermind

• Trey Gregory - Sep 13, 2016 at 2:27 AM

Sigh. Did I say anything about his professional career? We were talking about his time at Baylor. You said that you read an article from a small paper outside of Green Bay before the 2012 draft that RG3 had issues with his teammates at Baylor therefore you saw the issues in Washington coming. I said RG3 did not have issues with his teammates at Baylor. I didn’t say anything about his time in Washington. So Rich wouldn’t have exactly been reporting on him from that timeline now would he?

It just so happens that I’m a professional sports reporter who works at the local paper in Waco Texas about 10 blocks away from Baylor University. Baylor football is not my beat, but I help out with Baylor sports and have helped cover Baylor football. I am also a Baylor alumni and personally know quite a few people who have personal relationships with RG3. Also, like I said, I am friends with one of his former Baylor teammates and have talked to him about RG3 in casual, off the record, type conversations. I’m telling you, he didn’t have those issues in college.

And yes, I trust what I have personally seen and heard more than an annonomous scout. Those stories surface every single year pre draft and they’re all unsourced. Which has led many to speculate if there ever even was a source or if the paper is just trying to generate clicks by saying something negative about a high profile prospect .

Don’t really care to get back into what all went wrong with RG3 in Washington, but I’m pretty sure we would agree with 99% of it. But that has nothing to do with his time at Baylor.

4. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Best of Luck to RG3 this week. I hope he gets the right tutorige in becoming the elite QB he is capable of in the NFL.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Tutelage. …yeah I know that was sad!!!!

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Toot legs, that’s what I always say.

• bangkokben - Sep 11, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Best of luck to any team playing our division rivals and best of luck to anyone playing for Cleveland. I hope for his sake he succeeds.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM

That Dallas/NYG game was fun. I laughed so hard at how it ended.

• bangkokben - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Listening on the radio. The “national” commentators were complete Dallas homers. Disgusting. Danny White and some other guy who might as well be Larry Michael’s Dallas doppelganger. He must have stated several times how he couldn’t understand the definition of a catch since Dez Bryant’s catch was overturned. C’mon. I saw the first half on TV, if you’ve six footballs games in six years, you know that ‘catch’ would be overturned.

Dallatastic is how I would descibe the ending. The Lions tried to lose their game the same way. Stafford screaming like Brady at his receivers.

Spotting Dallas 19 points, a ton of yards and time of possession sounds like a perfect recipe for our team to win as well. Perhaps tomorrow, I’ll change my tune.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM

It’s amazing what fans can make themselves believe. After Dez’s first non catch in 2014 so many Dallas fans called in and swore up and down that ball didn’t touch the field. I mean, it touched the field clear as day. As did the ball today. It can’t touch the ground man. It’s not complicated.

Dak wasn’t as good as the hype but he wasn’t bad. The hype was impossible to live up to but he looked good for a rookie in his first game. He could be a pain in our ass in a year or two.

The shocking part was Elliot. Hopefully people are smarter than to overreact to just one game. It’s week 1 with a rookie QB and RB. There’s bound to be growing pains. But I would have never thought he would average less than 3 YPC.

The way they lost is why you shouldn’t get too high on rookie QBs. The announcer even said right before that play that you have to be careful throwing in the middle. Everyone knows that. And yeah, Detroit tried to do the same. It was kind of funny.

I found Dallas’ defense surprising. Not that they were great. Just not quite as bad as I expected. The Giant’s D kind of surprised me too because they should be better. Again, just week 1. But Vernon and Jenkins looked pretty good. What’s the issue guys?

And I’ll say it again. People are sleeping on Philly. I’m not saying that because they beat a bad Cleveland team today. I just think Wentz and that D are for real. I don’t see them as being a big threat to win the division. But they won’t be a doormat.

We will beat Dallas doing exactly what you want. Throwing the ball. Their secondary is too weak and they can’t keep up in the passing game.

• Jlb12300 - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Every time Dallas loses I laugh

5. rtcwon - Sep 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I’ll also be watching Detroit and Chicago. Both are road dogs that could surprise. As we dance with the Norths, I know what to expect out of the other six but these two could either be really good or really bad.

6. Steve Cassidy - Sep 11, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I have been a lifelong Redskin fan and two years ago had a series of TBI and everything I owned was stolen I ended up homeless and penniless and would love to go see the Redskins play the Cowboys can anyone help me

7. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Frickin’ Dallas.

Looks like Dak is the real deal.

8. kenlinkins - Sep 11, 2016 at 5:31 PM

So, Cleveland fans are starting to get a feel for what happened in Washington with RG3. Bad things happen when he is backed up against his own goal line and when he gets behind and is forced to throw deeper routes he holds onto the ball too long, wants to play hurt when there is no reason to and was looking to the zebras whenever anyone hit him. Today he added something, he missed wide open people by over throwing the ball 4 or 5 times. I am sure Cleveland’s coach will stay with him as the starter for a while, but if RG3 doesn’t start playing better he will find himself on the bench again. I will say that the new head coach was playing some kind of clown football early (fake punt at own 30, back to back end around plays and plays with 3 down O Line) that would make any NFL QB want to hide, but other than that, same old, same old.

• kenlinkins - Sep 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Oh, and that kid Philly drafted at QB (Carson Wentz) looks like the real deal. Love his footwork, keeps his eyes down field, no fear in the pocket and has touch on his passes when required to go with his big arm. Too early to say for sure, but this kid could be trouble for the Redskins.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:20 PM

I don’t exactly agree with your assessment of RG3, but you’re correct about Wentz. I thought he was the best QB in the draft and the Rams screwed us by being the Rams and taking the lesser of the two. Wentz looked great, all things considered, and I can see him turning into a very, very good QB. People are sleeping on that Philky team. They have a defense and they’ll have a decent offense if Wentz keeps rolling.

It was his first game and he had poise, smooooth footwork, good pocket presence, made good decesions, and was mostly accurate. It will be interesting to see him play a better defense.

9. Jlb12300 - Sep 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM

I am right now watching Alf lighting up the Giants. So my question is why did they not fix the real problems. O-line blocking and run scheme was the real problem. Just hope we can stop the Texas two.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Run blocking was a big issue last year. But Morris wasn’t himself last year either. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

And I don’t know man. What specifically did you want them to do? Who did you want them to pick up or draft that we didn’t? We’ve invested a lot into the O-line the past few years. Eventually you have to address the rest of the team and just go with who you have. I’m not opposed to upgrading the line but I didn’t see any clear upgrades that we missed out on (within the realm of possibility i.e., draft position and the money in free agency)

• Jlb12300 - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:52 PM

A long term center would have been good. I understand that it takes time to build and train your players. With that in mind why would you go from a good hb with no major injuries to date to a seems to me a fragile hb with injury history. When your 3rd down back has been injured every year since being a rookie. Makes no sense but most management make no sense either. Let’s hope that they made the right decision or our season will be lost.

• bangkokben - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:57 PM

I’d agree with that last statement IF it were 1977. The difference between Morris and Jones is not worth one victory or loss. It is inconsequential. So management stuck with the cheaper option that they drafted.

• bangkokben - Sep 11, 2016 at 8:53 PM

These are good points but perhaps the invisible elephant in the room is that Dallas scored 19 points and gave Morris maybe a dozen snaps. The two things I’m alluding to are: 1) Alfred didn’t have that many options during FA. He looks great (faster, stronger, and thinner) now but Dallas signed him to a very team friendly contract and then drafted the “next” back. 2) Dallas ran 75 offensive plays and clearly wanted to throw on first down. Lots of short crossing routs. So Morris is a clear back-up and they don’t really know how to maximize his abilities. Elliot is obviously more talented but perhaps Dallas should’ve eased him in to the NFL waters like the Rams did for Gurley. Instead, Jerry wanted his star to set the world on fire and the Giants were in no way going to oblige.

I love Alf and wish this version of him was here last year but we need to move on BECAUSE running the ball with the passing weapons on this offense without a solid defense is a recipe for losing.

10. john - Sep 11, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Im a diehard redesigns fan and still believe they made a mistake in letting RG3 go.I believe that Griffin will rebound and play the game the way he knows how he’s gonna be a force to reckon with cousins is a good QB but he needs to be great.I wish Griffin much success he’ll always have a in me GO REDSKINS!

• RuddyJamesDIO - Sep 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM

How’d that turn out for ya?

• sidepull - Sep 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Ya know now hes already hurt himself right?

• Trey Gregory - Sep 12, 2016 at 1:36 PM

That was such a bonehead hit to take too. He was having a decent game all things considered. Most Cleveland fans probably just wanted to see him slide and protect himself. And he mostly did until that play. Archives