Need to Know: Checking in on the Redskins draft picks after roster cuts

Sep 4, 2016, 5:28 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, September 4, eight days before the Washington Redskins open their season against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability

—The Redskins last played a game that counted 238 days ago. It will be eight days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.

Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 14; Browns @ Redskins 28; Redskins @ Ravens 35

Checking in on the Redskins’ draft picks

WR Josh Doctson (1st round)—He is now off of the active/PUP list because there isn’t one after the cut to 53. The wide receiver is now eligible to practice for the first time since OTAs. But that doesn’t mean that he will. We won’t really get a read on that until Thursday, when the Redskins issue their first injury report.

LB/S Su’a Cravens (2nd)—He was all over the place during preseason games. Although he played inside linebacker during those games, it wouldn’t surprise me if they have been carving out an additional role for him during the practices that have been closed since after the second game. Cravens may not always be where he’s supposed to be but he does make plays.

CB Kendall Fuller (3rd)—There were concerns about his knee coming in but he was very nearly a full go from the moment he arrived for the offseason program. He appears to be in competition with Dashaun Phillips for the nickel cornerback role. For the moment it looks like Phillips is ahead but it could be decided in practice this week.

DL Matt Ioannidis (5th)—The only draft pick to get cut today, he has to qualify as a disappointment, at least in these early stages. It’s possible that he could land on the practice squad, work on his fundamentals, and land back on the roster as a productive player whether it’s later this year or in 2017. But for now, I’m looking at  a defensive line that got no help from the draft and at all of the wheeling and dealing for future picks that Scot McCloughan did around the fourth and fifth rounds in the draft and wondering if he could have done better. He was the third highest drafted player to get cut.

QB Nate Sudfeld (6th)—It’s a good thing he wasn’t being judged by his preseason numbers. Sudfeld completed just 52.8 percent of his passes and gained 4.5 yards per attempt. But he didn’t throw an interception and that along with his steady improvement in practice since OTAs likely helped convince Jay Gruden and Scot McCloughan that he is worth trying to develop.

LB Steven Daniels (7th)—Daniels suffered a shoulder injury early on in camp and landed on injured reserve. He was a project and may not have made the 53 even if he had been healthy. Daniels will get a year to go to meetings and the injury happened early enough so that there is a good chance that he will be ready to go for the offseason program.

RB Keith Marshall (7th)—We’ll never know what he would have done with his chance to make a case for a roster spot during that third preseason game against the Bills because he suffered a sprained elbow on his first carry. Marshall has the physical tools to be a good back but he has to learn to stay on the field.

Tandler on Twitter

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. garg8050 - Sep 4, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Just based upon the initial assessment, this year’s draft will not be as impactful as last year’s, at least not in the rookie season. Obviously, that may change if Doctson is able to make some big plays in the red zone and Cravens and Fuller continue to progress and are able to contribute both on defense and ST.

Sudfeld on the roster smells of a negotiation play to me. I think McCloughan is trying to send Cousins’ camp a message, “hey, look, we’ve already got your replacement on the roster…” Otherwise, keeping him on the 53 makes no sense. I don’t see any other team picking him up and placing him on their 53. I’m fairly certain he would have cleared waivers and could have spent the season on the practice squad. Last year we wasted a roster spot on Griffin; this year it will be Sudfeld…

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:29 AM

Agree; last year’s draft is already big, especially considering the only reason Kyshoen Jarrett isn’t on this squad is due to that unfortunate hit in the final game last season. This year’s draft could be huge too but we won’t know for several years.

I’m far from giving up Ioannidis however. He didn’t make the squad due to greater depth and a UDFA find (Lanier) which is just as important (I don’t care when the team identifies them). When you’re a lower half of draft rookie, whether you make the roster or not, can be due to strength of existing roster and the likelihood that the team will lose you if exposed to waivers. As you point out, Sudfeld might have cleared waivers but the Redskins didn’t want to take that chance. Ioannidis has a year to learn and grow stronger; he may do well in 2017.

A little over four months ago, on May 2nd, I made the following roster predictions (46/53 correct); the 7 wrong were:

Thought Marshall; was Kelley (the latter was not a Redskins when I did the prediction)

Thought someone other than Reiter would make OL but was Reiter

Thought Galette; was Bates (Galette not injured when I did the prediction)

Thought Paea and Riley would do well but was wrong on both

Thought Dunbar or Everett; turned out to be Dunbar and Everett as well as Phillips

Thought Ioannidis; was Lanier (the latter was not a Redskins when I did the prediction)

Thought Daniels; was Spaight (Daniels not injured when I did the prediction but Daniels would have been on practice squad anyway)

Listed Cravens as DB not ILB

I think D-line, safety and center spots are the key competition areas — might be filled by UDFA

Offense (22/24) – I did this four days before even Kelley and Lanier accepted invitations to the Redskins rookie mini-camp. Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted Austin Reiter was missing OLmen.

QBs (3/3) – Cousins, McCoy, Sudfeld

RBs (2/3) – Jones, Thompson, Marshall (only opens up for any health concerns or if Jones can’t hold onto football)

WRs (6/6) – Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Dotson, Grant, Ross

OL (8/9) – Williams, Scherff, Lauvao (if recovers from injury), Lichtensteiger, Moses, Long, Kouandjio, Nsekhe; contested position – who will be the back-up center or extra OL (if Long wins back-up center spot)?

TEs (3/3) – Reed, Davis, and either Paulsen or Paul, depends on who is performing better and needs of team

Defense (21/26)

DL (5/6) – Baker, Golston, Reyes, Paea, Ioannidis, Jean-Francois, Hood (DL / Safety / C are weakest starters; Murphy / UFDA may play here if play is sub-par by others) – I originally thought Paea and Ioannidis would make the team; given lack of quality depth, okay with taking extra DB

OLB (3/4) – Kerrigan, Galette, Smith, Murphy – I did this before Galette was injured

ILB (3/5) – Compton, Foster, Riley, Daniels, Garvin – I did this before Daniels was injured but he would have been practice squad anyway; I didn’t predict that Spaight would recover and play as well as he did

DBs (10/11) – Norman, Breeland, Fuller, Toler — some CBs being converted to Safety too; Ihenacho, Hall, Blackmon, Bruton, Cravens, Everett or Dunbar – who will be additional safety / special teams specialist, maybe UFDA safety; Blackmon, Everett, Dunbar can play Nickel if Fuller / Toler can’t go; Cravens will play the Dime

Special Teams Specialists (3/3)

K (1/1) – Hopkins

P (1/1) – Way

LS (1/1) – Sundberg

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Depth at defense line did not cost Loannitis a spot. 1) there is little if any quality depth there 2) The guy just flat out under performed even for a 5th rounder. The only real depth this team has is at WR. Maybe TE and CB is still left to be known as to the quality of depth there. I’m not sure what roster you are looking at since it hardly resembles the 91 roster that I keep reading from you

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I agree both OL and DL are areas of weakness — we’ve known this since the end of last season; the Redskins are stronger at other positions which is why they went with 6 DL + Murphy gives some flexibility — it’s about the best 53.

I think Ioannidis was always about the near-term and not this year’s production; the guy is undersized but Redskins see potential in him; needs time to strengthen / get better. Did the team think he’d be a little further along at this point? Probably but in no way was Ioannidis expected to challenge for a starting spot / major rotation now; Lanier beat him out for the squad spot; good for the Redskins to find Lanier.

The guy that is under-performing is Reyes, so much so that some here have felt — in terms of just quality of play — Reyes should be gone instead of Paea; the latter’s price tag was significantly higher which is why Reyes is still here. I’m much more disappointed in Reyes than I am in Ioannidis.

When you have lower round draft picks playing significant roles on your team from the beginning, it usually speaks more to the quality of your existing team than anything else; the years bween Beathard and McCloughan, us Redskins fans got use to this modus operandi.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I stated after the day of the draft and now that Loannidis was not a pro level NT. He was known for this strength and engine. However, like Murphy that strength is rarely on display at this level.

Loannidis might have a future in a 4-3 as a DT. However he doesn’t have the gifts of a NT and certainly lacks the overall athletics to play DE. I think Scot just flat out whiffed on this one as well as the first pick.

I actually like the overall quality of the line if we didn’t have to play with a Center

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 4:15 AM

I’m having a harder and harder time seeing a role for Ioannidis in the NFL too. Even a 4-3 DT seems far fetched. But, if he can play that (I assume we’re saying a 3 technique in a 4 man front) the he still has a role on this team. We’re in 4 man fronts a lot. But no, he’s not a NT. I agree that Ioannidis appears to just be a whiffed pick. Would have been nice to know before I learned to spell his name.

2. COSSkinsFan - Sep 4, 2016 at 6:34 AM

Would love to see us make a play for Sitton and Forcett. Long could start at center and our oline would be big and nasty. We would actually have a starter quality rb if jones went down or Forcett could take the job.Both of them would solve two big problems for us. As always it depends on their price but it’s nice to dream.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:36 AM

There worth a look see for sure; just like we did with Stork and Cullins.

I appreciate the fact that the Redskins are always looking to improve the 53 + 10.

Someone else mentioned DT Kyle Love and I’d look at Troymaine Pope too (not sure how he compares to Brown).

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 4:20 AM

I’m really not so sure Forsette is an upgrade at this point. Regardless of price. It’s easy to get caught up in the past. But what has that guy really done for the majority of his career? He broke out for one season. Seems like an anomaly at this point and he’s obviously not a long term answer.

Kelley may not be a top 10 back by the end of the season but don’t sleep on his potential. I was the most skeptical person around about our RBs outside of Jones and Thompson but Kelley made me a believer. He does the little things well and that matters. I would like to see what we really have in him before we give his spot to a washed up RB who didn’t earn the spot with our team like Kelley did.

3. COSSkinsFan - Sep 4, 2016 at 6:49 AM

I loved the Dotson pick when it was made, time will tell on that one. Cravens and Fuller look to be at least solid picks. However I didn’t understand us passing on all of the dline men we could’ve had when it was such a glaring need. The fact that we cut the only one we drafted makes it even worse and yes I’m still upset we didn’t take Andrew Billings at some point although other teams passed on him too and I have no idea how he’s done in the preseason. I was surprised we signed Jenkins but maybe that was more to put our guys on notice seeing he got cut. Hopefully someone on the dline steps it up.

• michaeledwinbond - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Billings tore his meniscus, done for the year… so don’t lose any sleep on that front.

• chimps000 - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM

billings is out this year and maybe he had a prior serious knee injury that the public was unaware of… I still would have been happier with a boring solid big guy who can play DE or DT and not get blown off the ball.

I think Baker (good) and RJF (at least average) our the two keepers on that DL, Ziggy Hood came off the scrap heap and has battled injuries in his career, he looked good in the preseason, we need at least 2-3 more solid guys to put on the field to not be the 31st ranked run defense again like last year in ypc.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Billings did have a knee injury his senior year on a cutback block but it wasn’t all that serious. He was fine by the time the draft rolled around. That’s based on info straight from the source.

And there’s nothing to say he would have gotten injured if he was on our team. Different set of circumstances. He could have come to Washington and blown out his knee day 1 or played an 11 year career with no problems.

Billings also want the only D-line prospect available. There were a couple other good candidates. And if we went D-line in the 4th then maybe we could have drafted a RB in the 5th. Trading for extra picks isn’t always a good thing. Sometimes it’s best to just take your pick at the higher slot and move on.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 10:50 AM

It was interesting to note that Hood didn’t go to Tampa, but RJF did; I was expecting the opposite. Not a huge deal but symbolically interesting.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Good assessment chimps

• skinsgame - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Just another example of the GM not drafting “need”. He doesn’t care about the hand wringing that fans and pundits do, for better or worse.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Hmmm – it doesn’t look like he drafted on BPA either in this draft. At least not on the first or middle rounds

• skinsgame - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:49 PM

It does, actually. His opinion is the one that matters. He doesn’t hear the noise he just runs the show.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:06 PM

His opinion won’t matter for long if the results don’t show up on the field. I don’t deny Scot has a great ability to find talent and I absolutely loved the first two picks he made last season. So don’t get me wrong about doubting Scot overall but I certainly have doubts about this draft. As a club level season ticket holder considering if renewing for another 5 years is worth the investment, I think my opinion does matter.

• skinsgame - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:02 PM

He’s had two drafts and has disappointed many folks by not drafting “need” as defined by pundits. The verdict won’t come in on this draft for another couple years, really. Likely he’d see at least three more even if none of them work out. He’s made other finds outside of the draft as well and has the roster headed into a direction of being contenders for a good long while. I’d love to see him have huge success with drafts. Obviously we all do. Still, he’s running the show and doesn’t poll season ticket holders ahead of running the draft, no offense. I’m not arguing that he is infallible, I’m just saying he doesn’t run his drafts the way fans want. For better or worse. Hopefully you have a great season ahead of you with those tickets. HTTR!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Loved that pick? I can’t see why even if the guy was healthy all season. At this point Myles Jack may make it on the field before Dotson. Seriously though, there were some defensive preospects that could have provided more help to the roster than Dotson. I already mentioned one and he wasn’t even planned to be on the field this year.

• COSSkinsFan - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I loved the pick because it’s not just about this year. Rookie wr’s rarely make an impact their first year. With Garcon and DeSean being free agents next year the pick made sense, at least to me. I didn’t say it was a perfect pick. I also would’ve loved getting one of a number of dline men who slid.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I agree on building on the future but i don’t see what Dotson can provide would better help this team than say a Myles Jack. He was a top 10 prospect before the injury. You can rightfully argue the injury make Myles a bigger risk but Dotson is probably at best a decent #1 wide out who’d make a great #2 wide out. Myles Jack was a potential elite OLB and would have blended well with Cravens on the field for the next 7 or so seasons

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM

You don’t build the future with injured players. Now if they get injured, that’s part of it but there is zero reason to use a first round pick on a guy with a known injury that may require microfracture surgery.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Todd Gurly seems to be a good choice at this point.

Injuries are always a risk. How many happen ito rookies in OTA and TC even with the subdued practices that exist today?

Also, the last report I read by the Great Dr Andrews himself was that he would not need the surgery.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:40 PM

For every Todd Gurley or Adrian Peterson, there are five to ten others. We don’t have access to the medical reports and teams can only go the information they have at the time. If Myles Jack, says the week of the draft that he may need microfracture surgery in the future, teams have to take that into account — whatever that means. For instance: not in 1st round or not at all. Who knows? The guy was selected 36th.

The Redskins couldn’t get the center, Kelly, in the 1st round and couldn’t get Nick Martin in the 2nd round. They may have had both as BPA in each of those rounds. We can always argue who is/was BPA but in the end the GM has the best information to make that decision. I don’t agree with Scherff being #5 in 2015. You don’t agree with Doctson at #22 in 2016. In the end, we now have a GM that if he doesn’t get the best out of the pick isn’t going to set back the franchise. Seattle made a bunch of mistakes on their way to two Super Bowls.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:47 PM

I think I’m over using Jack here too much since at the time our turn came I was thinking Jarran Reed. Of course I was calling loudest for Billings early, but to see him drop like did I can’t deny there must have been bigger issues with him at the pro level than I could see.

There are not many players I’d take a chance on in a late first round that come with a major injury but Jack is one I’d prefer over Dotson who I think in draft with better WR talent, he’d been a more true 2nd round selection instead of a late first.

I’m hope I’m wrong and will gladly eat crow in exchange for another promising young player.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 4:24 AM

I’ll just say that I loved the Doctson pick and still do. He’s a tremendously talented athlete, will get healthy, and will get on the field for us. None of us know what’s going to happen after that, but I like Doctson’s chances of being a very good player for us.

4. cowboyhater - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:44 AM

I think they nned to be a heavy participant in picking up cut players. Need a vet RB, NT, C. Why they didn’t draft a NT when there were a ton of good talent available in 1st-3rd rounds is beyond me, but in Scott we trust? I have seen some chinks in his armor. Not so perfect after all, but what I can say is that he is at least changing the culture of this team. Will it equal to wins this year, who knows. After seeing preseason and the make up of this roster 7-9 wins and just on the outside looking in for the playoffs. The Giants will win the east, which probably not saying much but hopefully with another draft, and free agency we should be much more competitive next year.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Clearly need C; could use OLB. Serviceable options are probably hard to find but McCloughan did very well in mid-season pick ups last year. Maybe OL and RDE to develop on practice squad (Painter may get an invite).

I’ve been told NT is only used for 10-15 snaps and the team has felt Golston will do well in that role. RDE much more important.

For RB, I think they have a wait and see approach — find out health of Jones / Thompson and play of Kelley before making another move unless they check out Forsett (unexpected release).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM

If they acquire a perennial NT then the number of reps jump upward. Ideally and justified the team wanted a one gap big NT. They thought they had him last season but found a bum instead. This season the froze on even taking a chance on some good prospects. Jarren Reed would have been one that provides at least hope but instead there is a vacant spot with a retread DT in Golston that is our best hope? Not a promising scenario in the least

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Yup. Execs / coaches will live (and die) by these decisions, but I like what I’ve seen so far from McCloughan. How quickly people forget what it was like. From Casserly, to Cerrato to Allen, it was not as strong as it was now or before.

McCloughan picked up Hopkins, Foster, Phillips, Blackmon among others all during the season. You have to look at the full body of work. They’re going with survivor Goldson for now.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I think Scot has done a good job thus far. Not great but I agree there is improved overall roster development. However, this draft could swing the pendulum in the other direction if Dotson is nothing better than sufficient and Cravens can’t find a true position. There were many quality players passed up for those two. I want it to work out but I don’t have a great level of confidence about this draft just yet

• COSSkinsFan - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM

I think the Giants are gonna bomb. They over spent in free agency and if that worked we’d have few more Lombardi’s, they have a new coach and I think Coughlin was their heart and Eli is inconsistent. If Eli could translate his playoff performances into regular season play then we should be worried. The division is ours for the taking, not necessarily because we are heading and shoulders about the others talent wise but because the other 3 teams have had the kind of turmoil we are used too.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM

The thing about spending a ton of money on free agents, it’s not necessarily a one-year fix. The Broncos spent a ton on FA in 2014 and won the Super Bowl last year in a large part because of those additions.

• skinsgame - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Is it the Giants stellar D or the rookie head coach that has you convinced they will win the division?

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 4:17 PM

I like your sense of humor; you should comment on the boards more often.

• rtcwon - Sep 4, 2016 at 4:23 PM

They don’t need RB or NT. Those are unimportant positions and they’re fine with what is already there. Center only became an issue because Kory seems to be less recovered from the nerve injury than all thought. But Long is showing some promise there and likely is better than anything that will be available.

DE and OLB need upgrading but again, anything available won’t likely be better then what’s already here. This team is too good to go dumpster diving.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 4:31 AM

@cowboyhater: notice how all the positions you named play up the middle (RB is a little different, but in general). They’re all positions of lesser value and importance. The modern NFL is played on the edges. Edge rusher, corner backs, receivers, offensive tackles. Those are the positions that really matter. Then anything having to do with the passing game. So safties, ILBs, DEs, pass rushing DTs, and TEs. This team is still very much rebuilding and can’t fill every need in two offseasons. Probably not three either. But the focus should be on the more premium positions. Which is exactly what McCloughan is doing. If an great DT or C is sitting there, then sure, take him. But in free agency or if there’s debate in the draft, you take the more important position. Every position is important and you want good players at all of them. But some are simply more important than others.

5. chimps000 - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:49 AM

“But for now, I’m looking at a defensive line that got no help from the draft and at all of the wheeling and dealing for future picks that Scot McCloughan did around the fourth and fifth rounds in the draft and wondering if he could have done better. ”

My feelings exactly- and multiple scouts were supposedly saying this was a very deep draft- I was thinking that’s the perfect draft to get quality, solid, hold the point DE/DTs for our 3-4 scheme- let Compton and foster run clean to the ball- and some guys highly rated (like aaron billings) were there while scott picked a DB with microfracture history in the 3rd round.

Im more leery of cravens than the fan base seems to be as the guy is fast, explosive, and small- just the kind of guy who is likely to be involved in huge collisions and possible injuries. That said, the plus side is that he is fast and explosive, which I guess is better than slow and plodding lol.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Hoping Cravens works out too!

It’s kinda funny. Most Redskins fans entered offseason feeling RDE, C, LG, NG (i.e., like you point out below, we have multiple needs on the line), Safety and RB were top six needs. Reyes, Hood, Bruton were acquired in free agency, supplemented by late round draft picks Ioannidis and Marshall, with Kelley and Lanier being potential UDFA finds. RDE, Safety and RB might have been addressed; play at C, LG and NT continued to be question marks. We’ve all been told not to worry about NT because it’s only a need for 10-15 snaps per game… (15 – 25%)

To be sure, Norman was excellent acquisition, making overall defense better, and BPAs will contribute, but here we are 7 months later, with the same needs / holes.

Just hope other OL concerns do not arise and that we have sufficient depth at OLB after Galette’s attempt at physical recovery did not pan out.

6. redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:57 AM

Billings has a torn meniscus and is expected to miss the season. A number of top picks have suffered injuries too.

A’shawn Robinson (Lions), Jarran Reed (Seahawks, slight injury), Chris Jones (Chiefs), Will Fuller (Texans), Laquon Treadwell (Vikings) and Michael Thomas (Saints) have all looked good. People are still expecting a lot out of Robert Nkemdiche (Cardinals) as well although he’s not seen a lot of action yet.

Supposedly, the Patriots got a starting left guard in the 3rd round: Joe Thuney.

• cowboyhater - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Either you are a gambler, or you have a little too much time on your hands…..really? Your point to your post is?…..just because a draft pick on another team got injured does not mean if they were here the same would happen. Just not getting your post. Plus our first 3 picks will be very productive players for this team, so again you point is?…..

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM

My points were:

I was trying to respond to earlier post by COSSkinsFan asking about Billings status (who is injured); I inadvertently did a base reply instead of a comment reply.

Besides Billings, there are a number of draft picks that have been injured this pre-season (higher than normal). He’s not alone.

Insofar as some of the rookies the Redskins were considering, it’s been a mixed bag in terms of health. I highlight a number of rookies that have not been injured and have done well this off-season.

Like most drafts, it’s too early to tell on the outcome. You have to wait 2.5 / 3 years out. These early conjectures are just for fun.

• sidepull - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:18 PM

I liked to have seen them acquire Sheldon Rankins in the draft but I think hes hurt too. Last year I wanted Danny Shelton and then when Leonard Williams fell in their lap I though that was it. So really now it doesnt mean squat. Lets see how what they have performs. Right now our #1 is not performing. Cant wait to see what he brings to the table. I cant stand that we still have Reyes. Hope that he produces in real time game action.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 4:35 AM

I get what you’re saying. But Injuries are random and there’s no saying they would have happened had we drafted them. I don’t think that’s what you were arguing, but some people will say “wow I guess it’s a good thing we didn’t take so and so because they are injured.” When that’s just not accurate.

• chimps000 - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:25 AM

the pats invest a lot of cash and draft capital in the oline and front 7 which I’m a big fan of… they don’t invest much in the skill positions, relatively speaking.

I would much rather have a superior oline and mediocre skill players than the other way around, with a good QB… scott did invest last year in the oline, we obviously could have used more big boys this year on both lines, but who knows how the draft board falls when they are picking.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Yes, its BPA. I’m sure the Redskins had their eyes on a couple of centers but one never reached them and the others would have been reaches.

7. blazerguy234 - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Just how do you learn to stay on the field? Hard for any GM to bat 100% with draft picks. Sometimes things they see at the college level…stay at that level, and they do not make the expected growth. Ioanidis did not play against strong competition at the college level…maybe that made it more difficult for Scot to evaluate. However, that signed Lanier who was undrafted. While they are different positions, they saved money on the trade off.
    There is no firm and fixed 53 man squad…some guys still may be replaced as more players become available.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Agree on most of your points. The one that I differ on:

My guess is Lanier over Ioannidis was not a money play, but was a “who would the Redskins most likely lose if exposed to waivers / who is closer to being NFL ready” decision. I don’t know which side of that slash carried more weight in this case.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 10:15 AM

They had to keep one young guy. I doubt either would’ve been claimed off waivers. Lanier is most likely ready to play now while Ioanidis isn’t. Golston in a five-man rotation? I don’t think so. I expect all six to be active otherwise Baker is going to get worn down.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Good / interesting points. I projected (below) that Lanier is usually inactive if D-line is healthy so I might be wrong there. Couldn’t Hood spare Baker and Reyes spare RJF with Murphy as emergency back-up?

8. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Some guys I hope we get for the practice squad:

RB Mack Brown
    WR Kendal Thompson
    FB Joe Kerridge
    OLB Lyden Trail
    DL Matt Ioannidis

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Agree. I think Harris, Thorpe, Jensen, Painter and Fields might be candidates too.

By Crawford’s tweet, I think he’s moving on unless I’m mis-interpreting it. It wouldn’t surprise me if Wakefield or Matias-Smith made the practice squad.

Depending on FAs signed, Reiter, Kouandjio or Lanier could end up on the practice squad too.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Apparently I. Williams has been offered a spot; good for him!

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM

So far, I have only four practice squad picks right — Brown, Harris, Painter and Trail — with only two initial picks remaining.

I am surprised that Ioannidis has not been announced yet and I fear that he may have been picked up by another team; if that’s not the case, then either Redskins would have given up on Ioannidis much faster than I would have believed or, more likely in my mind, he is negotiating a better deal / entertaining multiple offers. The Redskins may be waiting on the outcome of this situation before its final selection.

I did not have Williams and Kasitati making the practice squad because I didn’t see them challenging Nsekhe or Kouandjio for any first or second string time and I thought that might be an indicator. We could use a 4th strong tackle and Kouandjio position at back-up back-up guard is tenuous at best. Hopefully, Williams and Painter or Kasitati can develop on the practice squad to join the 53.

I had Thompson and Kerridge on my short list, but I thought the Redskins preferred Thorpe to Thompson and that, given the reduced role of fullbacks, the Redskins might like to have a TE or an additional defender given the team’s needs along the DL and OLB. I had five players — Jensen, Ionannidis, Fields, Crawford and Wakefield — ranked ahead of Kerridge, bookended by Carrington and Matias-Smith. So kudos to both Thompson and Kerridge. Re TE, it could be that Carrier meets the Redskins’ developmental / insurance needs.

Two more players to go — I wonder if Ioannidis and other training camp participants are still in play for them?

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 4:11 PM

My bet is that they are keeping those open — for now — in case they have to cut some one who made the initial 53. They’ll fill it up but they may be still doing their due diligence in finding upgrades. Maybe they put in a few waiver requests and were blocked by a worse team.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Interesting Ben. No Ioannidis on practice squad. I didn’t think that would happen. That’s my surprise of the day.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 6:26 PM

And Ioannidis announced. Phew… 5/9 with one spot remaining.

Redskins passed (or lost out on) bringing in Pope and J.D. McKissic.

9. redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Inactives list will be filled by injured players, but assuming a perfect bill of health, here’s my guess of the 7 inactives:

1. Sudfeld – as we all agree, if there’s any healthy player slated for inactive list, it’s Nate

2. Lanier – I would guess he will be developing most of this season (like Sudfeld, kind of a protected practice squad player); if Lanier is ready sooner, and can by-pass Reyes, that is splendid news to hear

3. 1 OL – Either Reiter (not the case if Lichtensteiger and / or Long is hurt) or Kouandjio (e.g., Lauvao hurt but Lichtensteiger / Long okay)

4. CB – Fuller / Dunbar – I would guess one of these two players will be scratched each week beginning with Fuller

5. Doctson / Grant – I would guess Doctson will be scratched for awhile; when Doctson is healthy and gotten sufficient reps, it could be Grant or, if we find that other players are doing all the return duties, it would be Ross instead

6. Reyes – He has to start making an impact to get playing time, otherwise we will just go with Murphy as emergency back-up RDE if neither RJF nor Hood can go

7. Bates – Too much of a contributor on special teams to ever be considered out, but if we are 100% healthy, he may have to be inactive; outside shot it is Everett instead

10. Lerato - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I hope the fans show up to support their team because I know the steelers’ fans will show up with their terrible towels.
    Hopefully we’ll learn to make teams be worried to play here.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Believe it or not, it use to be that way.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Not until they move the stadium to NoVa where most of the resells are from.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM

If wasn’t for some bad politicking in that area, that’s where FedEx would be right now

11. COSSkinsFan - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Sitton is visiting the Bears and possibly the Saints per Schefter.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Too bad. Wish he stopped here too.

12. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:47 PM

I’d love to share the optimism about this draft that many here somehow still have. However, the outlook of this draft has not shown the level of promise as last years. Cravens is probably shown the most promise but I still question if he is a tweener with no true position. Players like that thrive around a strong stock of talent. Maybe with a heathy Galette while moving Preston Smith along the line, this would have been a great situation for Cravens to come out strong as a rookie. However, his supporting cast has since diminished which I think will impact his ability to produce this season. No one has any real idea what Dotson will do this season. Fuller was my favorite pick based on round and he was on the field faster than anyone projected. However, he is not as instinctive as I thought he be so his development is going to take time.

Overall, there are far more questions than answers about this draft. I do not see this group coming close to last years in contributing on the field.

This will IMO hurt the team overall. Combine that with the scramble to reposition players along both lines and at safety, and what you have is a formula for a down season. I get the idea of moving players into other positions which sometimes works out. However when it is done at the volume you see here then that spells desperation to me. Folks, if we can even match last season’s success then that would rely upon a great year from Cousins and a injury free one from Jackson. The offense will have to win many games out scoring the opponents, and I doubt the defense will acheive much on their side in keeping the score low.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Losing Galette was YUGE. Good point on how it could affect Cravens effectiveness. I think the plan all along was to outscore the opponent and then get after them with pressure. Unless Preston Smith plays consistently at a high level and Baker is able to generate pressure from inside, there could be a lot of games that come down to the last possession.

• rtcwon - Sep 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM

The draft is about 3 to 5 years in the future. So trying to judge one prior to that is as foolish as expecting rookies to contribute year one. If you want rookies on the field year one, go root for a bad team.

Let’s talk Doctson, Cravens & Fuller in 2019.

This year’s defense will surprise you, even without much of a pass rush.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 5, 2016 at 9:58 AM

You mean like the lack of contribution last season from the likes of Scherff and Smith? Oh no; they didn’t only contribute but they started games. Now others in the later rounds did contribute. Maybe the word contribute is a tricky word to grasp. The game itself certainly is in your case. Rookies every year provide necessary contribution to a team. Maybe if we are discussing 1970s football then your attempt in calling rookie contribution foolish would apply. However in today’s game it’s foolish to think rookies don’t contribute. Remember RG3 and Alfred Morris in 2012?it is especially not foolish with a roster full of needs needs for solid backup help. Oh no it is not foolish JACK, pun intendeddl, to think that even backup rookies contribute.

Let it seek in some JACK and you juts might get it.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM

It’s like the Paul Finebaum show around here.

But it’s not unreasonable to expect first and probably second round picks to contribute right away. Obviously depending on the position and the depth of that position. There might be some confusion because a lot of experts will say you can’t count on rookies right away but they’re mostly talking rounds 3 and later. Just so happens that it appears Scot found contributors in the 3rd round of both drafts.

But he also has a point that last year’s draft class was highly unusual. We can’t expect that every year.

• rtcwon - Sep 5, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Haha, actually rotflmfao!!! I’m glad I came back to this thread.

You made my point, bad teams pick high and start their rookies. (I would call Crowder more of a starter than Smith last year.) And you’re right, contribute was too extreme as good teams sometimes need their rookies to start after injuries. But the point that our 1st & a 4th started last year is that last offseason, this was a bad team. Evidence, drafted 5th.

But by this offseason, they had become a good team. Evidence, picked 22nd. No rookie starters. Again, I want to reel in contribute a bit as Cravens will be used in dime and a WR will get hurt. Unlike you, I can admit when I’m wrong.

Regardless, who is contributing and who has been replaced three to five years from now is how to judge a draft. In 2019, Doctson/Cravens/Fuller/Sudfeld/Daniels could be more important than Schreff/Smith/Jones/Crowder/Spaight, or not, we’ll see. Hopefully at least seven are cornerstones. 7 out of 17 would be real good.

Anyways Jack-son, you still think you were right on that thread? Google “Perry Riley jack linebacker” and you’ll see WaPo, the Times, CSN, Rich and even Gruden refer to Riley as a Jack. The irony is I was wrong that he would beat out Foster. Also, while Haz called the weakside ILB Jack, Barry calls him the Mo. Cowher/LeBeau have Macks and Bucks. (Since you love links –

All that evolution is over your head as you’re still hung up on the old school 3-4 Jack being the weakside OLB and that is all you can grasp. Along with other football 101 non-sense as 3-4 preferable to 4-3 stopping the run or man preferable to zone stopping the run. Still want to cling to those statements? Or have you put any tape or thought into that? The game has changed since the last time you wore pads not in your pants. Seek some knowledge and let it sink in.

13. 226thebeatdontstop - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Sudfield is just a guy he should not be on the team he will be inactive every game this season, period.

McCloughin made a few mistakes in this draft. He chose not to draft any defensive lineman in a draft that had several potential starters, he chose not to draft a center and anybody who knows football realizes Lictensteiger is a liability I don’t care how smart he is nose tackles devour him on Sundays.

Finally he did not draft any pass rushers , Joe Barry’s weak scheme depends on a pass rush the Redskins don’t have one I don’t care who the corner-backs are . Drafting Dotson that high was a luxury and a mistake .

Defense wins championships, Gruden is pass happy it may work a few games but without a consistent running game I predict a 7-9 or 8-8 season

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Is that with a loss to Cleveland?

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM

We don’t know that any of the centers after Ryan Kelly are any good. We’ll see.

Doctson is a type of guy we’ve needed for years: a WR who can get way up there to catch the ball.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:50 PM

The Redskins did draft Ioannidis and made two FA DL signings.

I’m sure the Redskins had their eyes on a couple of centers but one never reached them and the others would have been reaches; the Redskins tend to be value for the pick / BPA. It’s probably why McCloughan didn’t go after Mack aggressively in FA.

Finally, I think the Redskins were counting on Galette. McCloughan has hinted that he would have been more likely to draft a pass rusher if he knew Galette would not play at all this season. Things were looking better in pass rushing rotation until that injury. Injuries suck and can happen to any player at any time.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Anybody who knows football. Lol. Let me guess, that’s you? You’re going to lecture Scot McCloughan on how to build a football team because you know so much.

But I just had to ask. You do know that defenses don’t literally win championships right? Like, that’s just a saying, almost an idiom at this point, that HS coaches came up with to make low key defensive players feel better. Defense has arguably never been less important than it is now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still great to have and important. But it doesn’t literally win championships. Otherwise, why draft a QB so high? WR? RB? Offensive Tackle? Guard? And why are you so upset about a center if he doesn’t help win championships?

14. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Looks like the following players were added to the practice squad:

Mack Brown
    Maurice Harris
    Kendal Thompson
    Isaiah Williams
    Nile Kasitati
    Lynden Trail
    Joe Kerridge

So much unnecessary panic on cutting Brown who landed where most expected.

15. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Looks like the following players were added to the practice squad:

Mack Brown
    Maurice Harris
    Kendal Thompson
    Isaiah Williams
    Nile Kasitati
    Lynden Trail
    Joe Kerridge

So much unnecessary panic on cutting Brown who landed where most expected.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Ahh, 4 of the 5 I was looking for.

Wonder what’s up with Ioannidis…do they not even want him for practice squad?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM

I personally don’t want him. I think he was a bad fit for a 4-3 defense

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Wait wait wait. Ioannidis didn’t get a PS spot? I must have read something wrong because I thought he got cut, cleared waivers, and was then signed to the PS. That’s PATHETIC if he didn’t even get a PS spot.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM

He was not among the first batch of PS players reported in early afternoon. When the team announced signings later on he was included.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Should have just looked that up before I commented. But thank you. That pick is looking rough but it would have been just that much worse if he didn’t even make the PS.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Vinston Painter as well. Two more to go.

16. COSSkinsFan - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM

So all the gloom and doom over our record this season. There will always be games you should’ve won and didn’t and games you should’ve lost and didn’t. I don’t see anyone in our division that we can’t beat. I would say we sweep them but division games are never easy. I would predict winning 4 of the 6 though. Then we have games that we will probably lose GB and CAR. We have hard games Pitt and Arizona so I’d expect to win 1 of those. The games I would favor us in Clev,Balt,Det,Cincy,Minn,Chi. Of those Cincy strikes me as the toughest but their wr core was depleted in free agency. Looking at that counts as 11-5. Based on how I feel about the team I would predict 10-6. Injuries and a lot of other things come into play but the potential is there. Maybe we aren’t good enough to win the SB but all it takes is a few lucky bounces in the playoffs.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM

I think Cincy and Minn are though wins. Minn had a huge injury recently but I actually may be one of the few that thinks Bradford can do well there. Of course he is always an injury risk in his own right. Cleveland will be interesting to say the least. The biggest rise may be our own division. Dallas will be better and the Giants may be the team to beat I don’t see any easy sweep from any NFC East for. 10-6 is possible but so is 6-10

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM

I don’t see any way we best Minnesota. Cincy is possible, but I doubt it. Both are very tough teams.

17. kenlinkins - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Rich, I really like this roster. My main concern is the pass rush. Can this DC generate a good pass rush with what he has?

• Rich Tandler - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I wrote a couple of days ago that Preston Smith is the key to this defense. If he develops into a wrecking ball the pass rush will be just fine. If not, I’m not sure where it’s going to come from.

• kenlinkins - Sep 4, 2016 at 4:39 PM

My concern is that it might have to come from the 2017 Draft. I like P. Smith but I am not sure he is ready to be the wrecking ball required all by himself.

18. redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM

I’ve not done a thorough search but I believe about a half dozen QBs or so have changed squads since being waived yesterday.

• mtskins - Sep 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Jeff Driskel was released by the 49ers and claimed by the Bengals. Drafted in the 6th round after Sudfeld. Makes you wonder about all this talk about how far fetched it was that Sudfeld wouldn’t clear waivers.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Of the three late round draft picks that were developmental QBs that were put on waivers; the Lions got Rudock back for their practice squad, Driskel was poached by Bengals — as you mentioned, and Hogan signed onto the Browns practice squad. Hogan lost the 3rd string “competition” to Tyler Bray. Bray made the Chiefs as UDFA rookie in 2013 but was put on IR the following season. He tore his ACL in January, 2015 and was on the Non-Football Injury list last season. The Browns have RG3 #1, Josh McCown #2, and third round pick Cody Kesler #3.

So rather a mixed bag. The Chiefs seemed to not be interested in their 5th round pick. (Maybe they wanted him on the practice squad.) They have Alex Smith and Nick Foles as #1 and #2 along with Bray. The Lions got their guy back.He went 14 of 23 for 171 yards and 3 TDs with 0 INT and 0 sacks in the finale. He also rushed for 31 yards on four carries in the 31-0 rout of Buffalo. And then there was Cincinnati taking Driskel which is enough justification for the Redskins — at least they will think so — but did they even want him. They have Gabbert, Kapernick, and Christian Ponder. Do they even need a developmental QB? Hard to imagine Sudfeld being kept when “we” had Griffin, Cousins, and McCoy in 2014.

That’s it as far I see.

• mtskins - Sep 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Murray also also got cut by the Chiefs and picked up by the Cardinals. The lead footed Matt Barkley was released in a corresponding move. Guess people are still impressed by his draft status because he was claimed by the Bears. Don’t think any of these guys will light up the world but they are being claimed (Murray actually went through the wire then was picked up).

I think team would have a developmental QB last year if it wasn’t for Griffin’s unique situation. In answer to your question. Yes. I think the Niners wanted Driskel on there practice squad and that they need all the help they can get at QB. If you have Gabbert, Kapernick, and Ponder as your QBs I don’t consider you set at the position.

• bangkokben - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Four QBs are too much. Nobody wants four and you can include the Jets. I’d be curious to know how many teams have four — including the practice squad. The Chiefs had five and now three.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM

I want 10 QBs, 6 centers, and 8 RBs. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that’s how you build a team.

• bangkokben - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Barkley is on the Bears practice squad. I’m sure that’s what you meant when you said he was claimed. There are just three teams with four QBs. The Jets are probably the first in years to have them all on the 53 — for now. Arizona has two developmental QBs on the practice squad and Cleveland has three QBs with one on the practice squad.

• mtskins - Sep 5, 2016 at 3:53 PM

I was speaking the Niners in particular not that as a general rule team should carry 4 QBs. In this case though I think Niners would have put Driskel on their practice squad if he had cleared waivers. Ponder is there because he is veteran insurance for Kaepernick who is a giant question mark in more ways than one including health. But maybe you are right and the Niners think they are good with stable of 2011 QB early rounders.

• bangkokben - Sep 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I hear you. I just think it’s a situation similar to Gruden coming here in 2014 “having three quarterbacks.” At that time the three were similar with varying degrees of experience and past success. It was a matter of who was the best fit for the offense AND who could take the job. Before Colin’s trade demands, it seemed like a logical fit for his apparent strengths and past success. Sound a bit familiar? Even with the Redskins it took over a year to “find” the guy. All that is to say, I just don’t see there being enough reps for a fourth guy — especially considering the ‘9ers situation. Keep in mind Ponder came on board after the drafting of Driskel. The same thing in Kansas City with Foles unexpectedly being available. I think GMs are looking at Ponder and Foles as upgrades to Driskel and Hogan. I could be wrong — that happens often enough.

19. mtskins - Sep 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM

No players grabbed on waivers. So much for having to let a lot a great players go. Paulsen signed by the Bears though.

20. Sleary - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:43 PM

I have trouble agreeing with most of you’re comments. Our GM Scotty has done a great job so far, his early round pics have been questionable…but you can’t really deny that he has an EYE for players. Most late rounders have been contributors, in fact, most all of his drafted players have been contributing.

RB is a issue in my opinion, they put all their cards in one basket with JONES, if he shows up and plays God only knows. But at this point it’s hard to tell if our interior OL (C/LG) will be serviceable this year. It definitely needs improvement and I don’t think LONG is the answer at center. I think we need a true center.

DL will surprise you guys this year. Not many flashy players here, but if they get into a good rotation that keeps everybody fresh I don’t see why then can’t be middle of the pack when it comes to defending the run( I’m projecting 21st in the league)

OLB is Set if starters stay healthy

MLB still wish we had a big bruiser in the middle, I think Foster is a placeholder. Hoping to see more from Compton this year

DB is the most improved by far, the depth, the depth! Being able to rotate some guys in there will keep people heathy and help out the DEFENCE as a whole.

Nothing to say about passing game, as they WILL be top ten this year Archives