Sep 3, 2016, 8:51 AM EDT
Here is the updated list of the latest Redskins roster cuts as reported by local and national media.
22 players need to be released
22 have been reported
0 to go
- OLB Lyden Trail (self-reported on Twitter)
- OT Isiah Williams (John Keim ESPN)
- OL Nila Kasitati (Keim)
- LB Mike Wakefield (Mike Jones Washington Post)
- WR TJ Thorpe (Keim)
- TE Logan Paulsen (Jones)
- DL Cullen Jenkins (Jones)
- OL Vinston Painter (Pro Football Talk)
- DL Matt Ioannidis (Jones)
- OL Josh LeRibeus (Keim)
- CB Lloyd Carrington (Master Tesfatsion Washington Post)
- WR Maurice Harris (Jones)
- RB Mack Brown (Keim)
- DL Jerrell Powe (Keim)
- WR Kendal Thompson (Jones)
- DL Corey Crawford (self-reported on Twitter)
- S Geno Mathias-Smith (Tesfatsion)
- CB Mariel Cooper (Tesfatsion)
- OL Takoby Cofield (Keim)
- FB Joe Kerridge (Keim)
- TE Marcel Jensen (Jones)
- LB Carlos Fields (Jones)
—With Crawford gone the D-line may be set with six players. They carried seven on the line last year.
—There wasn’t much drama surrounding WR Rashad Ross as there was this time a year ago but they are now down to six wide receiver meaning that Ross likely has made it.
—Updating the big picture as of about 11 AM:
—As of right now, the Redskins are down to seven defensive linemen. With Lanier confirmed to be on the 53 the seventh is Corey Crawford. He was a 2015 undrafted free agent out of Clemson who was on the practice squad last year. If they go with seven DL, Crawford will be in, at least for now.
—Some thought that Mack Brown would stick after his impressive performance in Tampa. But the Redskins don’t need four tailbacks and Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, and Robert Kelley are set.
—With Reiter in it was inevitable that LeRibeus would go. He got four years in Washington and never was able to get a first grip on a job.
—Per Keim, Austin Reiter will make the 53. I’m not sure if he’s the center of the future but he is Kory Lichtensteiger’s current backup for the time being.
—Ioannidis is the first draft pick to go. The fifth-rounder is a likely practice squad candidate.
—According to Jones, undrafted rookie DL Anthony Lanier has made the team. He showed some pass rush ability and that is worth developing.
—Cullen Jenkins’ departure was a mild surprise. He was just signed earlier this week but he apparently did not impress enough to stick. He could be someone they call if a player gets injured down the line.
—Paulsen has been with the team since he made it as a undrafted free agent. Missed last year injured, many thought he wouldn’t be back. He did sign a new deal but the Redskins are likely to go with three tight ends.
—With both Trail and Wakefield out, it looks like Houston Bates is safe with the fourth and final OLB spot.
—Keim is reporting that S Deshazor Everett will make the 53. That puts either a safety or likely another defensive player in jeopardy.
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently