Redskins cuts tracker—Roster now at 53

Sep 3, 2016, 8:51 AM EDT

Here is the updated list of the latest Redskins roster cuts as reported by local and national media.

22 players need to be released

22 have been reported
0 to go
Updated: 12:13

—With Crawford gone the D-line may be set with six players. They carried seven on the line last year.

—There wasn’t much drama surrounding WR Rashad Ross as there was this time a year ago but they are now down to six wide receiver meaning that Ross likely has made it.

—Updating the big picture as of about 11 AM:

—As of right now, the Redskins are down to seven defensive linemen. With Lanier confirmed to be on the 53 the seventh is Corey Crawford. He was a 2015 undrafted free agent out of Clemson who was on the practice squad last year. If they go with seven DL, Crawford will be in, at least for now.

—Some thought that Mack Brown would stick after his impressive performance in Tampa. But the Redskins don’t need four tailbacks and Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, and Robert Kelley are set.

—With Reiter in it was inevitable that LeRibeus would go. He got four years in Washington and never was able to get a first grip on a job.

—Per Keim, Austin Reiter will make the 53. I’m not sure if he’s the center of the future but he is Kory Lichtensteiger’s current backup for the time being.

—Ioannidis is the first draft pick to go. The fifth-rounder is a likely practice squad candidate.

—According to Jones, undrafted rookie DL Anthony Lanier has made the team. He showed some pass rush ability and that is worth developing.

—Cullen Jenkins’ departure was a mild surprise. He was just signed earlier this week but he apparently did not impress enough to stick. He could be someone they call if a player gets injured down the line.

—Paulsen has been with the team since he made it as a undrafted free agent. Missed last year injured, many thought he wouldn’t be back. He did sign a new deal but the Redskins are likely to go with three tight ends.

—With both Trail and Wakefield out, it looks like Houston Bates is safe with the fourth and final OLB spot.

—Keim is reporting that S Deshazor Everett will make the 53. That puts either a safety or likely another defensive player in jeopardy.

116 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. goback2rfk - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Lyden is a good football player with some size. For a OLB the dude is massive. I remember seeing the guy play at Norfolk State and he was a force. While there was obviously no room for the guy he was an interesting prospect.
    5 Days until kick off and I could not be more excited. The Redskins are a sleeper team this year and the squad looks as good as I have seen in awhile. We are not Super Bowl contenders but we are pretty good. Should be an interesting season. Would love to start off with a W, lets go Skins.

2. goback2rfk - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:06 AM

For anyone that actually works; Happy Labor Day Weekend

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Keim is reporting that S Deshazor Everett will make the 53.

4. bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Bates. Ugh. Hope he makes me a fan.

• sidepull - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:04 AM

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Mike Jones tweet was interesting. Something about Bates making the INITIAL (emphasis added by me) 53 and that team will make a decision after all the cuts have been made.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM

If they find a better option at OLB they could well pick him up and, well, cut Bates.

• rtcwon - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Nice one Rich!

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:37 PM

My expectations for Bates are to be a good/great ST player (because otherwise why did he get the job?) and to play the run well. Part of that includes developing a respectable speed rush to contain the QB on passing plays. Because if the QB breaks contain, it could very well become a running play. If he can just do those things then he won’t be a disaster. We can rush another OLB, maybe zone blitz Cravens or Compton too, and obviously our interior linemen need to get some pressure. We’re in trouble if we’re counting on Bates for pressure.

5. austrianhttrfan - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:39 AM

That Everett made the team makes me super happy!!!

6. sidepull - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Not a fan of Reyes. Looks good for him now. Goodbye Josh!

7. sidepull - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Where does Paulsen land? Cleveland, Atlanta haha

• sidepull - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:18 AM

I liked Paulsen. I bet he gets a job PDQ.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get picked up within ten days. Seemed like last year, the Redskins would’ve picked him up if available.

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Without a doubt the Redskins could have used Paulen last season. It would not surprise me if Paulsen was #54 this season and we will probably miss the guy for run blocking.

I would much rather have Paulsen than Reiter.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:42 PM

I believe Chicago grabbed him. He was described as “a great blocking TE” on NFL radio today. Emphasis on great. That was a bit of a surprise. But we lost the only true blocking TE we had, someone who would have helped this year and could have played for a couple more, so that we could keep a one-year rental and stash some guys who may never see the field. I’m struggling with this one.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Washington now has the smallest (in terms of player size) TE corps in the league. I wonder if there’s a way to look that up. None of them but Paulsen had prototypical size.

8. Dee - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Mac Brown should have been on the 53.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2016 at 11:08 AM

They still might get him on the practice squad.

• Mike Good - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM

I’m not a Chris Thompson fan (seems to always be injured, and the coaches don’t seem to know how to utilize him), and I’m not sold on Jones. I guess it’s a good problem to have to cut guys who seem to have a lot of potential. Plus, if I’m correct neither rookie turned the ball over during preseason.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 9:51 PM

I understand not being happy about the run game situation. They were terrible last year and didn’t make any clear improvements. But blocking was a big part of that. That has to get fixed first and foremost.

I can’t agree about the coaches not knowing how to use Thompson though. His average YPC were absurd last year. Somewhere around 7 +. That’s fsntastic. He’s a third down specialists, the coaches see that, and use him accordingly.

I think his injuries have been a little exaggerated, but he still hasn’t been an iron man. It’s easy to see Thompson and Jones’ potential though. I get why the coaches want to give them another shot. Young players can learn to stay healthy, so let’s hope they learned some lessons and that happens. If not then I’m sure we will be moving on by next year with at least one of them.

Also, as I expected, Brown cleared waivers. Because he truly didn’t show THAT much upside. He just showed up big for one against backups. I don’t know how accurate it is to say he showed a lot of potential. And apparently 31 other teams agree. Marshal looked just awful. But Kelley truly did look like the best option for the 3rd spot and might surprise some people. He won’t be a top RB but he could put in some solid performances for us. It’s not all doom and gloom.

9. bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Best as I can tell, Philly will save $1.5 million by trading Bradford but will still carry $11 million in dead money. I’m sure that factored in the price for them. Getting a 1st and 4th is a steal.

Bradford seems to be the equivalent of owning Boardwalk in the board game Monopoly while no one is able to land on and buy Park Place. Fascinating that he continues to get such value in trades.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2016 at 11:07 AM

The Iggles must be ecstatic.

• sidepull - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:49 PM

I was floored when I heard that. Egirls dodged a bullet big time and got a first plus. It makes me sick that they can make stupid moves like bringing him in there and get out smelling like a rose. That is just unbelievable. Desperation by the Vikings I guess.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03 PM

See how many pundits are predicting the Eagles to win the division there at The fact that there is more than one is crazy — about the same that are predicting the ‘skins. A lot of love still for Dallas and especially for the Giants.

• ajbus1 - Sep 3, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Exactly why I quit going to their site. Nothing objective about the writing over their. I tried to ask Chris Wessling why he always had bad things to say about our Redskins and he blocked me on twitter. I wasn’t insulting or even rude. He just refused to be accountable for his crap.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 1:57 AM

I think people are going to doubt Washington until they prove they’ve turned a corner from perpetual dysfunction. That takes more than a year. It’s just like college football rankings. So teams get a bump because of history every single year. Then the games are played and all the new little hot programs “upset” teams they were better than from the start.

I know I’m kind of the resident pessimist about our team. But I do truly believe they will compete and they’re on the right track. That being said, I think the NFC East is wide open. I could make a serious argument for why any of the 4 will win the conference. My money would be on Washington or NY. But Philly isn’t a complete dumpster fire. A lot depends on Went, but they should have a very good defense. It’s going to be a tough, but fun, season.

• COSSkinsFan - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM

The eagles seem to always seem to get out of their bad deals. I still can’t believe they got anything for Kiki and Maxwell. Good luck with those guys Miami.

• rtcwon - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Philly saved $7M against the cap this year as his $11M dead will be split, $5.5M this and next year.

I don’t think Minnesota gave them more because of his dead money. They are picking up a $7M hit themselves.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:06 PM

No. I think the asking price by the Eagles was high because they knew they were going to take a cap hit. Worse that could happen was Minnesota countering.

• rtcwon - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:49 PM

I really don’t think cap considerations came into the negotiations. Minnesota was desperate and dumb. Looking at the conditional scale, do they really think if they get to or win SB XLI it will be because of Bradford?

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM

The Eagles had to be thinking of their financial investment. Bradford was a free agent which they signed to a guaranteed $22 million. It essentially was an $11 million cap hit (absorbed over two seasons) for a first round draft pick. Had the Eagles traded him in June, they never would’ve got anything close. Plus, the Eagles — and the Vikings — know that they could get rid of Bradford next year and take a cap hit then. Instead because of the structure of the contract they passed on some of those guarantees to Minnesota (potentially $11-15 million depending if Bradford is injured next year). Yes, Minnesota panicked and got Bradford but Philly was never going to part with him without serious compensation.

10. redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM

The Turk?

11. redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM

The only real surprise for me is that Reiter made the 53; this probably speaks to Long’s health heading into next ten days than anything else.

i would have preferred Paulsen to Reiter.

I have to believe FA priorities are C, DL, OLB and LG; with a wait and see for RB (Brown on PS and, if necessary, looking at vets).

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Cooley had noted how much improved Reiter was this year from last year. Joey Sunshine as well (Thiesmann). Many believe he wouldn’t have cleared waivers. Call me skeptical but I’m perfectly fine with the move. Again it is the INITIAL 53 and maybe there is someone better that they’ll take but will it be Reiter or Kouandjio who gets released then?

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Reiter did play well but it was always against 2nd or 3rd string only. Ioannidis hardly beat anyone, but he beat LeRibeus and Reiter.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Did he? How sure of that are we? Initially, perhaps but consistently and lately?

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:12 PM

I’m no where close to 100% sure because I didn’t watch the practices but some of the reports from camp made such claims.

But I do know that Reiter saw no action against first team players.

I have nothing against Reiter and I want him to do well, because if he plays well, the Redskins do well. But if the Redskins were sold on some combination of Long and / or Reiter, they wouldn’t have made aggressive move to bring Stork in; most fans were skeptical all along at solid center play (especially without Lichtensteiger 100%), and that move, reconfirmed their position as it should.

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Agreed. Who is released depends on who is picked up? Center then Reiter. Guard then Kouandjio. If neither Lichtensteiger nor Long are completely healthy this season, will we carry three centers? Ugh!

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM

We always carry three centers. With Shanahan we started three centers in the interior. Chester, Montgomery, and Lichtesteiger. Last year there was Lichtensteiger, LeRibeus, and De la Puente with Long as an after thought. This notion that the Redskins are a dominant center away from good things is silly. Can’t get one right now and they won nine games without one last year — with perhaps the worst center in the league. How many more games would they have won with a good one? One?

It would be fantastic if Reiter took another step forward next year and was the starting center. That would save resources for other areas.

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:16 PM

De La Puente only came on once Lichtensteiger got hurt and it’s because the other options did not meet minimum standard; that was the primary sign to everyone that we needed a plan B. That’s why the team started to train Long at center. We are now in a position where Long is hurt.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2016 at 8:51 PM

We did not necessarily carry 3 centers last season and it is an issue that we have to carrier inferior talent to fill the position. The team carried one true center and hybrid guards/centers. Last season’s success was as much the quality of the opponent as it was the quality of this team. There are still gaping holes at center, LB, Safety, etc to think we can have the same success or better against a more difficult schedule. I hope I’m wrong but I see a decline in the win/loss column and the center spot will be a big part of that decline.

• rtcwon - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Good question. I would lean Reiter as Kouandjio can play tackle while Reiter is a center only.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Me too. Especially since you might then be able to sneak him on the practice squad. Reiter presumably is the 53rd man. Let’s see in a couple of days if he’s still on the team.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Kouandjio at tackle? He can barely manage at G. If I am Cousins and I see AK coming in at The I’m heading to the bench.

• rtcwon - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM

I thought the same thing, that he can’t even play G, when I read he was getting reps at tackle. But back up OL is all about versatility and they see something in the kid.

For the record, early on I had Cofield as the eighth and no one good enough to be nineth. But Cofield looked bad in the games and Reiter looked a lot better than expected.

I was also very down on Long but he’s shown hope at Center. Kory has to be hurt because he is better than he played this preseason. So they ended up with 5 quality lineman, an injured vet at C, fingers crossed with Long, a project with Reiter and a placeholder in Kouandjio.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM

About Lichtensteiger, I said this months ago and Cooley stated it yesterday in different words using “Madden ratings” — which essentially is: Kory is never getting back to the level he was and is only going to decline. Meanwhile, Long is almost at Kory’s current level and can presumably get better with experience. I was expecting that to happen this season and perhaps it does. The Redskins are preparing for that possibility with the restructure and maybe it’s Reiter and not Long.

Nerve damage is a very slow healing process if there is indeed healing. Kory may never get all the strength back and for someone his size and guile, losing any amount of strength is significant. Furthermore, the only way to regain strength is if the nerves respond. Presumably this injury is all in the past for Lichtensteiger but perhaps the affects of the injury are not.

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Charley Casserley tweeted that Long had surpassed Lichtensteiger which really surprised me.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Just because they have Kouandjo some reps at tackle doesn’t mean he can play it. These guys have to be cross trained for emergency situations. Antonio Brown is the Steelers’ emergency QB. Doesn’t mean he can actually play QB.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 2:02 AM

Ben, your comment about Kory vs. Long and what Cooley said: that’s a pretty interesting way of looking at it. It’s kind of obvious and I’m a little baffled I didn’t think of it like that before. It’s a good point. Kory has actually been a pretty good center in the past but he’s undeniably on the decline.

12. Anthony F. Rives - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Why release RB Mac Brown? They will need him before the season is over!

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:03 AM

Because you don’t keep a fourth RB, and cut another deserving player, because of one preseason game against guys who will be job hunting next week. I’m pretty sure Brown hasn’t ever even taken a snap in the regular season (I could be wrong, but if he has, it hasn’t been many). Why do fans continue to overreact to the preseason when this literally happens every single year? A guy flashes against a backup defense that did 0 game planning, fans think he’s the next coming of some HOF player, then reality sets in when he’s either cut or the regular season comes around and he’s invisible.

We had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league last year and Brown couldn’t get off the practice squad or best those guys this year. He very obviously isn’t that good. Maybe he improves and becomes a good player someday. But that clearly hasn’t happened yet.

13. Mr.moneylover - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Mack Brown played very well all pre-season every opportunity he got he flashed it dont make sense to cut him with guys on your roster that cant stay healthy for a long time…good luck with softy Chris Thompson I believe he will be done after the first game with the steelers he struggle to get up everytime he get tackles and we play some very physical teams this year

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:50 PM

I think Mack Brown has a good shot at the practice squad. Same for Matt Ioannidis.

And Kendal Thompson, I hope.

• sidepull - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Yea I kinda woulda liked to see Mack make it. As it stands they have two RB’s …Kelley and .50 Jones and .50 Thompson as neither is what I would call durable or dependable. Its not over yet. Maybe they bring in somebody. I think Brown gets picked up. Could come back and bite them but maybe not too.

The guy I have no clue about is Reyes and what the attraction there is.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Cutting Reyes is too much crow for somebody — Barry, McCloughan, or both. Let’s see what they do after the first month. Would’ve preferred Paea, personally.

• chimps000 - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Reyes and konjio are just not good… you know there are egos at play when they make a roster.

Cooley actually kind of called the ionnaidis cut by suggesting he was not a mcloughan pick… and therefore could very well be cut.

good trade by vikes and Eagles- I watched Bradford last
          year guy had below average oline and bad skill players and looked good esp last half of season … that’s not easy to do. I was a big Bradford doubter before last year- he also took a bunch of big hits behind that line- and stayed relatviely healthy.

Thought the gamble on wentz was stupid given those facts, but once they rolled the dice at least they got a nice haul for Bradford.

Bradford will need time, but I could see the Vikings as one of the best teams in NFC by the end of the year.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:08 AM

So the argument is that Bradford would have been a good QB if he had a O-line? Gee, that’s not a tired excuse. That team won 20 games over the two prior seasons then imploded with him under center. It’s not like he’s had success anywhere, with any line, since he joined the league. It’s not like other QBs didn’t have bad O-lines and still produce. It’s not like he didn’t have a premier LT and actually a pretty decent line (because they’re really not bad). It’s not like bad QB play can’t make an O-line look bad (happens all the time). Nope. The most recent excuse for Sam Bradford is that Marcus Peters can’t block. Interesting.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 8:56 AM

The real reasons teams keeping buying into Sam Bradford is the injury history and multiple offenses. If only…

Seems like the Redskins were right to hang onto Griffin last year if the right disastrous situation would’ve arose, they might’ve got something in return.

Still it is the ultimate example of failing forward by the Eagles. Bid against yourselves guaranteeing a QB that you’d rather not play $22 Million then trading him for a #1 and #4.

• chimps000 - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:08 AM

trey- you clearly didn’t watch the eagles last year or follow the team closely. Talk to a knowledgable philly fan and most will tell you that:

The oline was terrible- jason peters was broken down and played injured all year- he is probably done at this point- the “skill” players had a ton of drops and weren’t very good outside of Jordan Mathews- and Bradford took tons of hits and actually played well especially the second half of the year.

I never thought much of Bradford before last year- but he was legit last year surrounded by bad talent.

I am a fan of Kirk but he had much better talent around him than Bradford- it’s not close.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 1:45 AM

Wel l no I didn’t follow the team closely because I’m not an Eagles fan. I watch as many games as possible, and I would wager that’s more than the average fan, but I did not watch every single play from the Eagles. But I don’t really care what Eagles fans say because most fans have no clue what they’re talking about. Especially when it comes to line play. Line play is one of the more complicated things to understand/evaluate for casual football fans and people often completely miss what happened. Sacks and pressure are not always on the line. Often, if a line is great one year (the Eagles had the 2nd best O-line in football in 2014) and drop off the next then it’s on the QB. Especially if it’s a new QB.

But do you consider the 12th ranked line to be terrible? As in, one rank lower than Washington’s? Because that’s what PFF gave them. Please excuse me if I trust PFF over “knowledgeable Philly fans.” Guess they clearly didn’t follow the team closely either.

If you think Bradford is a good QB, fine. Just say that. I’ll disagree but it ends there. I’m just sick of the excuses for this guy after six years. What were his excuses before Philly? You don’t have to bash the line to say you think Brandford is better than he gets credit for. I say that about a few QBs without criticizing anyone. In my opinion Beadford is not a bad QB, but he’s never lived up to the hype and probably never will. He’s a veteran, he better be able to read a defense and make some impressive plays from time to time. But he’s struggled with consistency and, frankly, he’s struggled walking up to the line and making reads. He’s a gifted athlete but he just doesn’t seem to have that and the players around him get blamed. I do believe he can succeed in Minnesota because that’s a great roster. That’s a SB ready roster. But if that’s what it takes for Bradford to look good, then he’s not actually good.

• chimps000 - Sep 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM

to add on- I would wager that at the end of the year Bradford is playing like one of the better qbs in the league – assuming he can stay relatively healthy like last year, which is obviously an open question.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 1:49 AM

Oh, and to add on. The Broncos, Patriots, and Seahawks all had worse lines than Philly. And they were all playoff teams because they all had actual good QBs (yes, even the Broncos had a great QB). The Seahawks had the 31st ranked line and still put up points like crazy. Actual good QBs overcome bad lines by getting rid of the ball quickly. Dropped passes are another thing. Philly was an absolute mess last year. We can agree on that. But Bradford played his role in that.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM

How many time was Thompson reported injured so far this season and how many carrirlers did he receive last season. You’re watching the game with CT hate goggles if you don’t see how productive he was and the potential ahead.

14. colorofmyskinz - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Hey Rich, thanks so much for the updates!!! Great tracker!

Do you have an official 53 man roster now? Any lists to provide?

• Rich Tandler - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Coming up soon.

15. Jlb12300 - Sep 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Mack Brown will not make the practice squad. He will be picked up by another team off waivers. He is a 2 down back we are a pass first team not very good in the back field from what I heard.

• rtcwon - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Brown will not get picked up. Everybody just cut their Mack Brown. There is tremendously more RB supply than demand out there.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:10 AM

I can’t decide if you were complimenting him or saying he sucks with that comment.

I will be surprised if he gets picked up. But not upset at all.

16. mtskins - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Reiter makes it as a dark horse. Next step is to hold off a pick up from another teams cuts. Hope if/when he gets in that he shows the improvement that got him on the squad. Ioannnidis didn’t seem to show much but will interesting to see if they can get him on the PS. Seems like team managed to hold onto a lot of their backfield depth even Keeping Reiter and Sudfeld

17. hail74 - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Saw this comment from a Viks fan to a panthers fan on pft and immediately thought of the concerns over Mack. @renocarolina – every team has good RB’s they have to cut, its the nature of the league this year. MN will cut Jhurell Pressley who runs sub-4.4, who in the last pre-season game scored on 30+ yard screen and returned a kickoff 108 yards for a TD. But they aren’t going to cut AP, McKinnon or Asiata, so they will hope he makes it through waivers and they can get him on the PS incase one of those 3 get injured.

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Sorry for the sloppinessin that post. The panthers fan was regretting the release of RB Brandon Weghar btw.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Great points and Brown will be on the practice squad if the team wants to add him.

18. Larry Klotz - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Should have kept Brown and teased Kelley then brought him back to p’s if he cleared wIvers!

• Rich Tandler - Sep 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Why cut the inferior back?

19. redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Areas most in need of monitoring / strengthening:

Center – Lichtensteiger, Reiter
    Back up Guard – Kouandjio
    Other OL – TBD (based on whether continue strong pass blocking and whether now penetrate to second level / improve run blocking)
    RB TBD – Need health check on Jones and Thompson first

RDE – Reyes is disappointing so far (Paea II?)
    Back up OLB – Bates
    NT – Not as important so less of a priority; will Golston do the job?
    S TBD – Need to see whether capable of not giving up big plays

PR – Who will it be? If Crowder, do we want to risk slot receiver getting hurt again?

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:16 AM

Right tackle is about to jump to the top of McCloughan’s list unless Moses makes some major improvements. You don’t have an O-line if you don’t have two tackles. We could have drafted Kelly to go with Williams, and Scherff then picked up a great LG. But if Moses sucks at RT then Cousins still won’t have time to pass. Every position is important and you can make a case for an upgrade at all the positions you listed. But you need at least two solid tackles.

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:17 AM

I understand your concern. I hope Moses has a great season so that we have one less position to worry about. Nsekhe can hopefully fill in this season if necessary…

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 2:10 AM

It will be a very, very good thing for this team if Moses proves me wrong. If he can somehow pick back up from where he left off last season, then improve, it will clear a path to keep the rebuild on schedule. Hopefully he just had a bad preseason. But I’m not going to feel good about him until I see it.

His two big problems were hands and feet. Speed rushers will be a problem. Callahan should be able to coach up his hands. But I’m not so sure he can learn to be faster. However, slowish O-linemen have been very good in the past because of impeccable technique. He needs to learn to stay on his “invisible line” to neutralize speed guys. Maybe that comes with experience. He can be the guy for the next 8 years if he really commits to working hard. He has the length and the opportunity. But, I don’t know if he has the work ethic. We will find out.

20. Anthony - Sep 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Our OLBS need work behind our starters. Murphy and bates are trash

• kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Agreed, If I Bates, I wouldn’t be signing any long term rental agreements just yet.

21. kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Rich, Have the Redskins moved Doctson off the PUP list yet?

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2016 at 3:41 PM

As expected, Josh Doctson is off of the PUP list and part of the 53-man roster. Although it looked like a few undrafted players would make a run at the roster the group turns out to have five of six from last year returning with Doctson replacing Andre Roberts.

• redskins12thman - Sep 3, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Great question.

The PR department has not made this update to roster on; still showing Doctson on PUP but they may not have gotten to it yet.

Do the Redskins have to move him off PUP by 4pm today or can they wait to do it a little later this coming week with no repercussions for the first six weeks of season (e.g., anytime before first game is played)?

• Rich Tandler - Sep 3, 2016 at 4:37 PM

They haven’t announced anything yet. But since it’s after 4 he’s either on the 53 or an PUP/reserve, which would put him on the shelf for at least six weeks. If it was the latter I assume we would have heard about it. But we’ll have to wait and see.

22. waqgman1 - Sep 3, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Josh Sitton, 3 time PRO Bowl guard with the GB Packers is getting released, if they don’t find a trade partner. He’s 30 yrs. old, is healthy and has been very durable. This is a situation that warrants watching.

23. Lone Star Dietz - Sep 3, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Ronnie Hillman was cut. Pick him up Skins.

24. waqgman1 - Sep 3, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Josh Sitton was indeed released by the Packers, NOT traded. Also, Running back Justin Forsett, was released by the Ravens. Just saying…

• Skulb - Sep 3, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Sitton is the only one I’ve found interesting so far. I am assuming that we don’t need upgrades at RB, if Brown lands on the PS as I am hoping. Interior O-line or D tackle is another matter. We could really use some upgrades in the trenches.

• waqgman1 - Sep 3, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Yeah, not sure how the waiver wire works, pecking order, etc. I can’t believe we wouldn’t be interested in Sitton. Problem is, several other teams probably are too. Should have plenty of cap space. Have you seen any decent waived D lineman yet?

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Red Bryant was waived by Arizona and presumably was in Seattle when McC was there.

The waiver wire basically works in the same order as the draft. Teams put in a claim and the team that had the worst season last year gets dibs. Once the period expires teams and players are free to sign anywhere.

• Skulb - Sep 4, 2016 at 5:01 AM

I don’t think so.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 2:14 AM

I have to admit that Hillman interests me. I don’t even know why because I’ve bought in on Kelley and we’re not (nor should we) release Jones and Thompson. But hey, after seeing some of the QBs who passed through waivers today and he fact that Paulsen is already gone, maybe 4 RBs isn’t as crazy as I thought just 2 days ago. Sudfield is an unnecessary waste of a roster spot in my opinion.

Red Bryand does intreague me. But maybe I just got suckered in after watching “All or Nothing. He’s no spring chicken but I loved his fire.

• Skulb - Sep 5, 2016 at 7:54 AM

When it comes to Sudfeld I guess it does make some sense to stash him with the inactives. You’re going to have seven people not dressed every week, so one of them might as well be a QB.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM

True. Which is another issue in itself. But that was designed for injured players. Not developmental players. And we will have injuries. And someone will have to play for them. Someone on the 53.

25. Byron Craig - Sep 3, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Ireally liked MACK BROWN.

26. Skulb - Sep 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Surprised that Reyes and Arie made it tbh. I also think cutting Logan will probably come back and bite us. Other than that not too many surprises.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I suspect if we pick up any from the other teams’ cuts, those two will be in the hottest water.

• Skulb - Sep 3, 2016 at 7:17 PM

I get that they will probably be inactive barring injuries and that they are different positions. But to keep these two bags of flour on the roster while letting Brown and Paulsen go just feels wrong.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 2:16 AM

Paulsen could have helped more than any TE in the run game… What else really needed to be said? 6 D-linemen or 2 QBs and let’s get a push when we run the ball guys.

• Skulb - Sep 5, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Yeah I did not like that cut one bit. Maybe they feel like they have enough depth with Jensen on the PS though. It’s hard for us to know where he’s at in his development because we rarely see him.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM

That’s true. And he should be doing nothing but learning to block 24/7. We’ll see

27. bangkokben - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM

For those that care, here is a list of all 22 draft picks (so far) that did not make their team or were ‘fortunate’ enough to make it IR:

Ioannidis is the 3rd highest drafted of the list and there are three development QBs. I imagine all of those teams will find a place on their practice squad for their QBs (Chiefs, Lions, and 49ers).

• redskins12thman - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:22 AM

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM

The Bengals claimed Driskel off waivers — the 49ers’ 6th round QB project.

28. celticsforever - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM

I am nothing but a fan of GM Scot… but wow – big swing and a miss on Ionnidis. I said this before & I will restate – never thought he would be more than “just a guy”. Guess I was wrong too, because usually “5th round just a guys” make the roster.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 1:23 AM

Good point. The assumption (and the team may have actually said this) was that they felt comfortable trading out of the fourth with a couple good D-line prospects sitting there because they liked who they thought would be available in the 5th. Presumably Ioannidis. It was an incredibly deep D-line call and we came away with nada at a position of great need and where I find it hard to believe those D-line prospects weren’t BPA at some point (especially the 4th), as just about everyone said those guys would have been drafted earlier if it weren’t such a deep class. It’s shocking that a 5th round pick, in an extremely weak position group, couldn’t make the roster.

I’m seriously starting to wonder if McCloughan has impulse control problems and needs someone to supervise him and make the final decesions. He may be a great scout, but has made some questionable calls as a GM. That’s how it worked in Seattle. He didn’t have final say and it worked out pretty well for them.

29. Antowne - Sep 3, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Should of kept Mack Brown. Matt Jones is injury prone, a fumbler, and unreliable. So dissapointing and ill advised roster cut.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 5, 2016 at 2:18 AM

Dude, he’s on the practice squad if Jones gets hurt. Seriously, what is everybody’s hang up about this guy? It’s nothing but 24/7 Scot McCloughan worship around here until Mack Brown gets cut? You guys are wild sometimes.

30. 226thebeatdontstop - Sep 4, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Sudfeld making the team is a real reach and wasting a roster spot, the guy is below average and will be inactive all season

DL Matt Ioannidis really,? Beyond a reach and with a weak defensive line I don;t understand this wasted pick

• Trey Gregory - Sep 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Well they obviously thought Ioannidis was better than he is. That’s about all there is to understand Archives