Aug 27, 2016, 6:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 27, seven days before the Washington Redskins cut their roster to 53 players.
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
—The Redskins last played a game that counted 230 days ago. It will be 16 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 22; Browns @ Redskins 36; Redskins @ Ravens 43
Stock up-Stock down vs. Bills
Here is who gained ground in the Redskins’ preseason win over the Bills and who slipped.
Up—Ziggy Hood has gone from a longshot to make the roster to a virtual lock. He helped his case tonight with a sack of Tyrod Taylor and some impressive run stops.
Down—Rashad Ross returned both punts and kickoffs. On one of the few opportunities he got he muffed the ball and in the ensuing scramble teammate Quinton Dunbar was injured. He’s safe on the roster but his chance of winning the punt return job may be gone, at least for now.
Up—Jay Gruden said that he could “feel” the presence of Preston Smith from the sideline, disrupting plays and setting the edge. That some very high praise and an indication that Smith could be on the verge of a true breakout season.
Down—Kory Lichtensteiger did not have a good week. The team traded for his possible successor in Bryan Stork and then he went out and drew three penalties.
Up—Robert Kelley had a good night (12 carries for 51 yards) when he needed it, probably locking up a spot on the 53-man roster.
Down—Matt Ioannidis didn’t play his way off of the 53 but he was mostly invisible with no solo tackles and three assists.
Up—Like Hood, Greg Toler was supposed to be on the outside looking in when it came to making the 53. But he has played well enough to force his way on and he recovered a fumble that Will Blackmon forced to set up a touchdown.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- How Kelley took the lead in backup RB race
- The day-to-day variety
- Recap: Redskins 21, Bills 16
- Cousins throws three TD’s in first half vs. Bills
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions