Need to Know: Five Redskins who are on the hot seat tonight vs. the Bills

Aug 26, 2016, 6:02 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 26, eight days before the Washington Redskins cut their roster to 53 players.

Today’s schedule: Redskins vs. Bills at FedEx Field, 7:30, broadcast on CSN

—The Redskins last played a game that counted 229 days ago. It will be 17 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.

Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 23; Browns @ Redskins 37; Redskins @ Ravens 44

Five Redskins who are on the hot seat tonight

ILB Perry Riley—He hasn’t played particularly well and his snaps have been limited in the first two preseason games. Perhaps he didn’t play much because they know what he can do and wanted to get a look at Terence Garvin and others but he’s starting more and more to seem like a forgotten man. He’s running out of time to be remembered.

RB Keith Marshall—I think that the Redskins really, really want to keep him around. He can make it an easy decision for them by finding holes consistent and perhaps popping a long run. Or he can make it so his fate hangs on the outcome of a long debate among Scott McCloughan and the coaches on cutdown day by continuing to struggle running the football.

G Arie Kouandjio—The second-year player’s seat got considerably hotter with the acquisition of Bryan Stork. The former Patriot will fit in somewhere on the top couple of lines of the interior line depth chart (he can play guard, too) and that will push Kouandjio down a notch. Like Marshall, Kouandjio needs to give the coaches a reason to keep him other than the fact that he was a draft pick (4th round in 2015).

CB Quinton Dunbar—The second-year player probably isn’t on the bubble but he hasn’t entirely gone from impressing because he converted from wide receiver to cornerback to being an impressive cornerback. If they keep six cornerbacks one will be inactive most game days and Dunbar has a couple of more preseason games to show that he should be active.

DE Stephen Paea—The conventional wisdom when training camp started was that even though Paea was a disappointment last year, the free agent acquisition would get 2016 to make things right. But Paea hasn’t done much in camp or in the two preseason games and that could have him in danger. Financial reasons in the form of $3.75 million in dead cap if he is let go could keep him around but he still needs to show he’s worth his $3.3 million salary.

Tandler on Twitter

1. redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 6:31 AM

Great post. From the little I’ve seen, Kelley has looked better than Marshall; not that that’s saying much as neither has looked so good that they have a lock on the 3rd RB spot which I could see going to a waived RB or vet in week 2.

Because of their “iffy” chances of sticking with the team, Paulsen and Toler are on the “hot seat” too. Like Riley, they’ve both played well but they may or may not make the team due to “needs” elsewhere on the roster that the team feels it has / other factors that come into play.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Bates, Jefferson and Trail play; while I think Bates has the upper hand on that the last OLB spot, if Jefferson or Trail played really well, I wonder if they could beat out Bates?

As a whole, I think the whole Redskins team, especially the O-line and D-line, will be tested tonight by the Bills so I’m looking forward to watching the first half.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:17 AM

I think you’re the only person saying Riley has played well. If you mean playing well by not standing out whether that be making glaring mistakes or making plays then…I guess so.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Good point. Playing well = roughly even with Foster; if behind, not that far behind / 1st or 2nd ILB opposite Cravens / Spaight. I am not making a comparison to the rest of the league.

• redskins12thman - Aug 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM

Riley was awful tonight. It’s as if he sees his fate sealed. He may get released next Tuesday to give him a better chance to make another team.

2. popefrady - Aug 26, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Do we think Colt is super safe? would they keep 3 on the 53?

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM

Colt McCoy is a lock. Even before playing well against the Jets, McCoy was a lock. Even Sudfeld has a 85-90% chance of making the 53.

• RuddyJamesDIO - Aug 26, 2016 at 7:58 AM

What kind of question is that? Do you watch any of the games?

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM

The answer is that they will probably reluctantly carry 3 QBs. Well, seems to be all about 3 QBs but he was one himself. But some in the front office probably would rather only keep two but may not want to risk Sudfield on wavers. That’s just my speculation (based mostly on what Rich has told us) but it will probably work out that way.

If they did only keep two it would be Cousins and McCoy. Colt is a great backup. Sudfield has potential but a LONG way to go before he’s even 2nd string material. He has all the physical tools and proved in college that pro concepts aren’t too much for him. But he’s very rough around the edges. I personally think it’s worth the risk to send him to the practice squad. I don’t think we’re at a huge risk of him getting claimed. He hasn’t looked THAT good. But that’s just my opinion.

3. redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 6:57 AM

I’ve not heard about Riley not playing well; I thought the main issue is the team didn’t want to pay him his $4 million salary if he didn’t beat Foster out.

Riley could be more consistent and show more playmaking ability but his play improved when paired with Will Compton.

To me, the Redskins need to take their two best at each position and it’s Foster and Riley playing opposite Compton and Spaight with Cravens and Garvin playing key specialized roles. I’d keep 6 ILB (who seem all better than 4th OLB) and place Kouandjio and / or Ioannidis on the practice squad to make that happen.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:29 AM

I not sure if it’s semantics or a lack of understanding of the practice squad, so here it goes. First you have to cut the player and the player has to clear waivers before you can SIGN a player to your practice squad. Some team may want to pick up the contract of a former 4th and 5th round draft choice thereby claiming the player off waivers within the waiver period — the final cut down waiver period is only 20 hours. I don’t know what the waiver period is of the first cut. If the player clears waivers, he’s free to sign with any team and could chose one practice squad over another which is one of the reasons why we wait seemingly forever to find out who is on the practice squad. That and the inaccuracy of social media. At least that’s the way I see it.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM

That’s my understanding too. I think that the first waiver period is also 20 hours / maybe 24 hours. I fully understand that a player who is cut may not clear waivers and therefore would not be on the practice squad, and that if a player clears waivers, he could opt to sign with any other team. That said, I would guess the players the Redskins want on the practice squad know this as part of the cutting process. Only rookies, 1st years and up to 4 2nd year players are eligible for the practice squad. Also, a practice squad player can sign a 53 player roster spot on any team at any time; this helps with league parity, preventing teams from stockpiling the better players.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 2:46 PM

I have frankly been disappointed with Ioannidis, and my expectations for 2016 weren’t very high to start. He has plenty potential to grow into a good D-lineman but he’s not even close yet.

That being said, there’s no way he would clear waivers. Somebody would pick him up to develop. That’s simply what you do with most 4th, 5th, and later round picks. They take up a developmental spot on the 53. Ioannidis is our ONLY young D-Linemen draft pick. Take out the undrafted free agents (who are a dime a dozen) and he is the only guy with the talent to be a good starter someday. We have to keep him and develop him. Sudfield is a much better practice squad candidate than him.

4. colorofmyskinz - Aug 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM

Well done on this list and agree. I would think LeRiebus is in more of a hot seat than Arie however. He sucks at center and he is low on guard. Or perhaps you already have him designated as cut. Who do you have Arie in a battle with? I think you mentioned Cofield. If he is in a roster battle with him, I think they go Arie soley because they can sneak Cofield to the practice squad without worry of waivers. Arie might not be as easy because of his 4th round status. If you already have LeRiebus as a cut, I place Cofield on. The bubble vs Arie.

I don’t like below average players that are earning much greater than average pay like Riley, Paea, and Kory. The only reason I would keep Kory this year is to bridge to Stork learning the system and to hedge against the concussion history. Other than that, Kory is a major cut for me. He is rated as one of the worst centers in the NFL. If long progresses at center Kory gets cut as soon as Stork learns the playbook and they are confident in long as a backup. That might bring Cofield back to the roster off practice squad as a backup tackle. I would rather have starting line as Trent, Lauvao, Stork, Scherff, Moses. Then backups Ty, Arie, Long, Cofield with Austin, booth or bond on practice squad.

We need to clean house of the cap suckers the best we can to rollover to next year. We need to figure out how to resign DJax and Garcon. With many others like Cousins and many more. Time to clear the underperforming cap suckers to prep for next year.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 7:23 AM

I think Booth, Bond, LeRiebus and Reiter will be cut, and Cofield will be on the practice squad; I hope Arie joins Cofield.

Paea has disappointed more than Riley and Lichtensteiger combined; it’ll probably be because Ioannidis, Lanier and / or Crawford are just not quite ready yet, coupled with the dead cap amount, that’s keeping Paea on the team.

• colorofmyskinz - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:06 AM

I agree on your assessment of Paea. There would be no way to sneak Ionnadis to the particle squad. So hear is my stick with Riley. If you want to be a MLB in the NFL making more than $1 M per year, you need to be able to make more open field tackles than you miss. That should be a basic requirement of a MLB. Riley is a horrible tackler once running backs clear the first level. I have watched him miss more than he makes easy. Sure he can drop into coverage. So he should drop 30 pounds and convert to safety. $4 Million MLB and can’t make tackles on RBs clearing first level?? CUT.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Okay. I know Scot McCloughan picked up Foster last season during the season. Can we find another ILB as part of roster cuts who can do better than Riley? It seems like your answer would be yes. If so, I would like for the Redskins to pick that player up and then drop Riley. If Foster gets hurt, I just want to have a solid replacement; Riley is competing with Foster for the starting position. It’s not as if Riley is 3rd or 4th string.

• colorofmyskinz - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:35 AM

I hear we are bringing Brandon Banks back and asked him to add 180 lbs to convert to center… LOL. I cant believe we had a roster spot for that guy. That is how bad our roster used to be.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I not sure if you both realize that the time to cut Riley and Lichtensteiger for money saving purposes is before the season starts. Once they play one game, their season salaries are guaranteed. I’d give Riley a 20% of getting cut and ‘steiger a 0% chance. I’d probably loose a lot of money if I took bets on Riley as well.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM

By September 12th, September 4th or somewhere in between?

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Finding a staring ILB on the street is pretty rare. Our entire situation last year was rare. Going from 4 wins to division champs: rare. Hitting on that many draft picks: ultra rare. Converting a WR to CB then that guy locks down Dez Bryant: unheard of. Finding free agents like Foster on the street to come in and displace a starter: not quite as rare as the draft but still pretty unusual. Seeing your 4th round QB complete almost 70% of his passes and play like a top 5 QB for half the season: pretty rare (especially the 69.whatever completion percent).

It was an awesome season. But we can’t expect that every year. Other than RB, chances are the best guys who will play each position are already on the roster. Our RBs are just that bad and the position in general has been devalued where you can find decent NFL RBs in Best Buy.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Yes. My thoughts exactly and why I’m hesitant to say goodbye to Riley in case Foster gets injured this season unless we have a Riley replacement. I would rather go with 8 OL and / or 6 DL (counting Murphy as OLB) and hold onto Riley.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 5:44 PM

I’m assuming that Spaight would be Compton’s backup at Mike. But I would t count him out from playing Mo if he had to. I don’t know this for sure but I’ll bet he played all over the middle in college and they taught him both while he was injured last season to try and find his best fit.

I also think Cravens needs time to develop but it wouldn’t surprise me if he catches in really quick and could be a decent starter after 4-6 weeks. I think he could start now, but we would just see a few too many rookie mistakes. I know some view him as a nickel only guy. That probably is the most ideal role for him. But I don’t see any reason why he can’t be a 3 down player, and do well, if we need him to.

My point is that it’s not Riley or bust for a backup. I don’t know anything about Garvin but he should be considered in the conversation too.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM

I didn’t put LeRibeus on the hot seat because I think he’s gone regardless. You have to be in a could stay, could go situation to be on the hot seat. His seat has been given to someone else.

• colorofmyskinz - Aug 26, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Gotcha! I thought so after I went back I reviewed your 53 article. Have you heard anything more on the Stork story? Is he a lock on the team? Many tweets seem to think so, but you would know best. I hope we get him. We need a real center. We have been playing this player conversion thing at this position too long. We need a real center.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Ha! That’s cold Rich. So true though.

• sidepull - Aug 26, 2016 at 7:37 AM

I hope LeRiebus is gone finally. I feel the same as I did about Goldson last season. Just get him out of here and dont even think of resigning him.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Goldson is the ultimate survivor; he continues to fill needs for the team, finding a way to contribute and stick around.

• sidepull - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:11 AM

I was talking about Dashon Goldson right? Maybe you mean Kedric Golston?

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:22 AM

Yeah, my bad.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:06 PM

I think I’m the only Redskins fan on earth who would have liked to keep Goldson. Or, ideally, resign him for less money. I have my reasons, but I also understand why nobody agrees.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM

He’s still out there, right? And “we” have our four.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 3:38 AM

Yes I believe he is still a free agent. I would imagine he’s asking for way too much money. He hasn’t played well for years but he’s still better than plenty 2nd and 3rd string safties out there.

I have my reasons for wanting him to stay but it’s undeniable that he didn’t play nearly well enough last year. The only way Scot could have kept him was if Goldson took a very large pay cut.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Atlanta is having him in for a workout. I swear half of that team is Redskins castoffs. It’s weird.

• bangkokben - Aug 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM

NFL network had on their crawl that he was working out for the Falcons.

5. nomaan78 - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:34 AM

I want to see our starting defense. With Breeland and Norman on the field for an entire half Preston Smith and Kerrigan coming off the edges and us moving around Cravens all over the feild to make things interesting.

• goback2rfk - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Kerrigan is OK, but if he has just another average to below average season I am ready to move on from Kerrigan. He is a great guy, hard worker, but it would be nice to have some elite talent on the edge
      And Paea, even with taken the hit I am OK with releasing him immediately, He has been a terrible disappointment and is one of the few mistakes this GM has made.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Even if “moving on” from Kerrigan would a good idea–and it’s not–A $9 million + dead cap hit will prevent that from happening next year. And $6 million in dead will keep him around in 2018.

He’s not a superstar and he’s not getting paid like one. But he is well above average.

• goback2rfk - Aug 27, 2016 at 9:26 AM

He is the 4th highest paid OLB in the league.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:19 PM

I can always count on gobacktoRFK for nutty comments. Always.

The most obvious problem with cutting Kerrigan, besides the dead cap (and there’s plenty more), is that you need someone better to replace him. Yes. I agree that it would be nice to have elite edge rushers. I would love to get Joustin Houston and Khail Mack on the team. Maybe we can trade for Von Miller and JJ Watt while we’re at it. Guys if that caliber aren’t just walking the street looking for a job. You need either a very high draft pick (we had one and came away with a guard) or you have to spend a ton of money in free agency to get one. And the best don’t ever hit free agency.

There’s room for Smith, Kerrigan, and one more elite OLB. It doesn’t have to be either Kerrigan or another great player. McCloughan tried to make that a reality but Galette tore his Achillies two years in a row. It would be so Redskins to cut Kerrigan, sign someone like Mario Williams for stupid money, then have Williams tear an ACL in practice while Kerrigan goes and wins a Super Bowl in New York.

Kerigan is not elite, not in the very top tear, but he’s right under them. 3-4 OLBs need to be very good doing at least 3 thing: pass rush, setting the edge/playing the run, and dropping on coverage. If you can find a guy good at two of those things, keep him as long as possible. It’s not just about sacks. Although, Kerrigan is pretty darn good at that too. His QB pressure numbers are elite and he gets sacks. He had 9.5 last year starting the season off with a bum leg (something he needs to pass rush) and then broke his hand but STILL didn’t miss a game. He brings so much to this team.

There’s different kinds of pass rushers. Kerrigan isn’t a speed guy but that doesn’t mean he can’t get after the QB. Put him opposite of a speed rusher (like Galette) or even just another real threat (like Smith) and you’ll see him blossom. Think about it, how many of the top pass rusher last year didn’t play opposite of another real threat? Kerrigsn has been the only guy most of his career. offenses can shift the protection his way. If Smith becomes the guy we think he can be, Kerrigan will greatly benefit. It would be moronic to cut him. Money aside.

• John - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:57 PM

But, but, but we have SuperTrent Murphy and Willie Jefferson and Linden Trail…Who needs Kerrigan?…LOL!

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Kerrigan having an MRI for his groin is a big bag of suck.

• Trey gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 1:15 AM

An injury that actually sidelines Kerrigan or Smith is about the worst thing I can think of after an injury to Cousins. It’s the single worst thing that can happen to us outside of the QB.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 3:41 AM

John: I know your messing around and having fun, but you’re going to be real glad we have Murphy if Kerrigan can’t play with this groin. No, he is not a stud OLB but he’s a hell of a lot better than anyone else who’s going to come along at this point. It’s Kerrigan and Smith or bust at OLB this year but Murphy can fill in and not be a complete disaster. Start these other guys and we’re toast.

• redskins12thman - Aug 27, 2016 at 6:50 AM

The injury to Kerrigan is very concerning; if Kerrigan is out months instead of just weeks, look for Scot McCloughan to try to fill that spot as I don’t believe Bates, Trail or Jefferson impressed that much.

6. Ray Chance - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM

The could have kept Alfred Morris for the same price as Paea. Now he is playing for the Cowboys. Ridiculous!

• - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM

I never liked cutting Morris. I hated it actually. He was nothing but a perfect employee for us and one of the best RBs to ever grace this organization. But I didn’t think we would miss him THAT much because he didn’t seem to fit anymore. I now wholeheartedly disagree. He had a down year last year. I think there’s multiple factors for that but he’s at fault too. Still, guys have and years then bounce back. And I’m a firm believer that you need a guy as good or better to replace someone before you cut them free. I think we’re going to really miss Alfred on the field. I’m sure the locker room missed him the second he left. But when he rushes for 100 yards against us, Zeek adds another 200, and we have 2 RBs combined for 46 yards: we will truly know how much we miss him.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM

He’s actually much less than Paea.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM

I don’t know if this will make you guys feel better, but it did for me.

I went and looked at the roster of almost ever team in the league. Looked at the 4th and 5th RBs on the depth chart. As in, guys who have a decent chance of getting released. In my opinion, there were probably at least 10 who could come in and help our run game. Be the workhorse if required (that’s my issue with Pierre Thomas. I dont think he can shoulder the load if he needs to). None of these guys are going to rush for 1,600 yards, but they can be serviceable for us.

And I you guys probably know of the few who teams may be willing to part with for a low draft pick, like we did with Stork, who I think could greatly help our team. All I want is a reliable guy who can be about average on the team in case Jones gets hurt and I’ll feel just fine about our run game because of how good our pass should be. I think that will be a reality. There’s too many guys for Scot to chose from for us not to get that.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Scot usually tries to meet these “patchwork” issues with guys that could be a long-term solution (more than a season). That’s why Kelly and Marshall get the long look. Last year he brought in Blackmon, Foster, and Hopkins and all are still on the roster — not just stop gaps. Blackmon is the only one up there in age, 31. Foster is 27. Hopkins and Bryan Stork are 25. So I leaning slightly away from Thomas. I think at some point he’s a Redskin but they may try a few younger guys first.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I think there’s a couple potential longish term options out there too. But I also haven’t given up on Kelley. All in all I think he’s shown he belongs in the NFL. As much as one can in 2 preseason games.

I’m just anti Marshall for 2016. If he goes to the practice squad and works hard to improve his game then great. I hope he would get a real shot in 2017. But he hasn’t shown me anything to prove he’s ready for the NFL. It Maint even be a positive step just to see him stay healthy on the practice squad. We need a RB. Not a track star. And I just don’t think Keith Marshall is a real NFL RB yet.

7. mtskins - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I think ultimately the team keeps Paea mostly because of his dead money, Scot pick, and past experience but I found it really interesting that Rich projected Lanier to take his place.

“This depth chart is very fluid; it seems that almost every player with the possible exception of Lanier has a shot at making the roster and playing some snaps.”

That was written about the Dline depth chart in a NTK back in June. Keim and Jones have him on their watch list as well. As Rich has pointed out in the past there always seems to be a surprise addition to the 53 and it seems wise that he prefaced his early prediction with the word “possible.”

8. kenlinkins - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Rich, IYO what is the major disappointment the Redskins have with Paea? Is it not showing up in games, injury, not working hard, his cost or something else? Has Lanier really made a move to take that spot? AND has Suifield really shown that he should have a roster spot as a 3rd QB? I think he would clear the wire and make it to the PS as any team claiming him must place him on the 53 man roster for 3 (or is it 4) weeks. A team would have to think pretty highly of him to do that. Right now only the Redskins would have any idea what he could do against the number ones. Your 53 man roster has one less player on offense plus a 3rd QB. Can the Redskins really only have on 23 on Offense in order to keep the extra assets on defense? (concern is depth at RB / TE, both positions with high injury rates).

• Rich Tandler - Aug 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM

@ken, they’re run with 24 on offense the last four years if you’re subtracting QB3 so I don’t see why 23 would kill them.

The disappointment with Paea is that he hasn’t taken a starting job. He was expected to step into the right DE job vacated by Hatcher. Right now he’s the third option there behind RJF and Reyes. He works hard, just isn’t getting the results.

And “must keep” rules apply only to players signed from a team’s practice squad. You can claim a player on waivers and release him the next day.

9. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 26, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Hell to Paea

OK that was just a bad pun, no offense to Mr. Paea.

But there is a danger of a sunk cost fallacy. We spent this money on the guy, and cutting him will be a $3.75 million cap hit.

But does that mean we should cut someone who is younger and has promise, instead?

• Trey Gregory - Aug 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM

No it does not. You’re absolutely correct. If a guy truly isn’t good enough to play, or isn’t as good as someone else behind him, we should cut him. It will still save more than if we keep him.

However. I’m not convinced that’s the case with Paea yet. He had one bad season and training camp/pre season just isn’t as good for evaluation as actual games over a season. He had an amazing season in Chicago two years ago, and a sub par (but now absolutely awful) season with us last year. I wouldn’t blame Scot at all if he wanted to use year 3 as the tie breaker. Maybe it was the new system last year, maybe he doesn’t get that into practice and pre season but will be great in real games (that would bother me, but it’s forgivable), maybe he’s still getting back to 100%. Either way he’s quality depth. If Baker goes down, Paea is a good backup. I’m all for the patient approach here.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Paea is going to count $3,750,000 against the cap whether the Redskins cut him or keep him. However, if they keep him, it will cost the team another $912,000. If they decide to forgo the Paea experiment and keep Anthony Lanier instead, then that will cost the team $450,000. I don’t know if that helps the decision making process. What it always comes down to is the guy making the decisions. Has Lanier impressed the GM so much that he’s willing to figuratively say, “my bad” and move on? I don’t think so.

• redskins12thman - Aug 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM

That’s the way it seems to be…

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 11:44 PM

Did Paea even play?

• redskins12thman - Aug 27, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Toward the end Paea played; he may have done enough to stay on the roster. Riley did not show well tonight… I’ll be interested to see which players the Redskins pick. Need to find out Ryan’s status…

• bangkokben - Aug 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM

Paea, Reyes, and Ioannidis are big disappointments. I’m not expecting much either, but these guys aren’t getting off blocks. Seeing Lorenzo Alexander getting pressure made me want to trade Houston Bates and a truck load of #10 jerseys for the “one-man-gang.”

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 3:34 AM

I was working tonight so I’m not all caught up on the game but I’m glad someone else noticed Reyes. Not only was he not getting off blocks, but he was straight getting blown off the ball. Put back on skates. It’s supposed to work the other way. Thankfully I saw enough positive things from Smith, Hood, and Golston to keep me optimistic. But I only got through a little into the second quarter so I can’t really say. I did see some positive signs from Murphy though. One thing about that guy, he doesn’t really get pushed back. He may get pushed too far outside, or behind the QB, but so does ever single other edge rusher. Even the greats. At least he’s physical and holds his ground.

I didn’t have big hopes for Ioannidis coming into the season but I have about zero expectation for him now that I’ve seen him struggle against 2nd and third stringers. He’s not even close to ready to start. I have to hope this is rookie growing pains and he will eventually be serviceable. If you thinking I’m complaining about trading that 4th round pick now, I’ll never be able to get over it if Ioannidis turns it’s a busy. (I will, I’m just being dramatic).

I’ll be able to talk about Lanier, Paea, and Ioannidis with you for what they actually did tonight after I get caught up. I’m 100% with you though that, from what I have seen, Lanier looks like the only one of them trending up.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 3:49 AM

I’m purely speculating, but I’m thinking Kerrigan will be OK. Would any of you have even noticed he was injured if they didn’t tell us? He wasn’t limping, there was no mechanism of injury, he may have just pulled a groin.

But I’m so damn irritated with this injury. Ever since we signed Norman all anyone outside of DC can say is, “Norman is going to suck because Washington can’t rush the passer.” And I just smirked. Just wait for Kerrigan and Gallette to prove you all wrong….errrrr just wait for Kerrigan and Smith to get it done…. ummmm… just wait for Murphy and Smith to… God damn it. It’s like a damn self fulfilling prophecy. Such BS. And all these idiots who don’t know the NFL from playing catch in their back yard are going to say “see! See! I told you!”

And why did Kerrigan even play? He said his groin had been bothering him and it was tight before the game. Kerrigan is one of my all time favorite players but come on man. The success of our defense basically rests on you getting a pass rush and you’re playing a preseason game on a tight groin? Him saying that makes me think it’s not a serious injury, but still.

10. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Offense looks rusty as hell.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 3:59 AM

So rusty. Since when does Reed drop balls? That int should have never been thrown either. That’s the price you pay for easy going camp sessions and resting the starters in game 2. They’ll get over it (and it appeared they did eventually). But it won’t surprise me if the rust carries over into the season.

11. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 26, 2016 at 8:17 PM

At least Preston Smith is ready to play.

12. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 26, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Robert Kelley taking advantage of the opportunity to help his case.

• goback2rfk - Aug 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM

He has no case..

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM

12 carries for 51 yards and some blitz pickups.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 4:05 AM

Kelley has no case? Compared to who? Keith Marshall is the one who has no case (not saying you said he did, I’m just drawing a comparison). Kelley has been the best RB in the preseason and it’s not even close. He would have a stronger case than Jones if it wasn’t for draft status.

• goback2rfk - Aug 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Saying he has a case against this group of scrubs is not saying much. The Redskins have one of the worst back fields in the league. If Kelly looks good for a couple weeks that does not mean he is the answer at the RB position. I can think of 5 Free Agent Veterans right now that could bring more to the team.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Well name them then. Don’t say you can think of 5 better options and then keep them to yourself.

I agree this is potentially the worst backfield in the NFL, but they’re who we have man. I can’t just say, “Oh well Ziggy Hood doesn’t have a case to be on the team because he’s not Aaron Donald.” They’re who we have. It’s not Kelley’s fault the competition sucks. We can only judge him based off what he’s done. And I’m feeling very confident when I say R. Kelley is a NFL RB. It’s not about the stats. It’s about the decesions he makes each play. He hasn’t been perfect, and he’s not going to rush for 1,500 yards, but he looks good.

This kind of depends on who is available. But I would rather give the 3rd RB spot to a guy who has been working his ass off, for our team, all preseason than give it to someone because they played OK in a few games a year or two ago. Kelley has actually shown something with this team, this offensive line, this scheme. That counts for something. Unless you want Helu back (and he is a free agent) you can’t tell me you’ve seen any of these guys have success with the Washington Redskins. That gives Kelley the edge.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Don’t forget you said 5 free agent veterans too. Don’t give me guys who haven’t been cut yet. I want to know the 5 guys who are currently free agent veterans who will be better options than Kelley.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Yeah, he made the team tonight. His post game interview shows that he knows that he’s undrafted and making the team won’t be taken for granted. As far as he’s concerned, he’s no lock. Great job in blitz pick up (which is paramount for this team) and he showed good vision and the ability to make people miss.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 3:56 AM

Agreed. Kelley is going all out but he’s also doing everything right. I’m impressed. Starting to like him a lot. If our roster spots truly go to the most deserving then he’s making the team.

• bangkokben - Aug 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM

JP Finlay was interviewing him post game and was seriously implying you made the team. Asking him what he thought now of week 1. He didn’t bite at all, felt very uncomfortable, and said he’s only counting on the next preseason game. Asked about playing with the ones. He said it was much easier as Kirk would tell him what to do.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 27, 2016 at 1:02 PM

I like him a lot. I would rather him get the job, after earning it, than handing it to Bobby Rainey (or someone) based off past performance.

13. bangkokben - Aug 27, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Did Morgan Moses lose his starting job to Ty Nsekhe?

Spencer Long sprains his ankle and returns. Tough sob.

No way Cofield makes the team — barring injury.

The snap counts should reveal the cuts. No snaps; pack your stuff.

Tyrod Taylor doesn’t finish the 1st quarter in the 3rd preseason game? The Bills also rested some players. Meanwhile, the Redskins suffered injuries. Welcome to the lose-lose world of pleasing everybody. Archives