Need to Know: Redskins by the numbers—Reed rules the red zone

Aug 17, 2016, 4:59 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 17, two days before the Washington Redskins play the New York Jets at FedEx Field.

Today’s schedule: Practice 1:10; player availability and Jay Gruden news conference after practice.

—The Redskins last played a game that counted 220 days ago. It will be 26 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.

Days until: Final roster cut 17; Cowboys @ Redskins 32; Browns @ Redskins 46

The Redskins by the numbers

19.7—The 2015 Redskins’ average margin of defeat against teams that finished the season with winning records. There were three such games and all of them were on the road (Jets, Patriots, Panthers).

6—The number of teams that had winning records in 2015 that are on the Redskins’ schedule this year.

1—The number of those games that are true road games. That is in one in Arizona. One, against the Bengals, is in London, and four (Steelers, Vikings, Packers, Panthers) are at home.

64.1—Kirk Cousins’ completion percentage on passes thrown inside the 10 yard line. That ranked second among players who threw at least 25 passes inside the 10.

16—The number of touchdown passes Cousins threw from inside the 10. That was third in the NFL.

0—The number of red zone interceptions that Cousins threw last year. He had more red zone attempts (79) than any other QB who didn’t throw a red zone interception.

133—The number of receiving yards Jordan Reed had in the red zone. That led the NFL.

Tandler on Twitter

1. colorofmyskinz - Aug 17, 2016 at 5:53 AM

Last year there were only 13 teams that finished with winning records, and we were one of them. Playing 6 teams vs 3 with winning records is definitely harder. We are going to beat 3 of those 6 in my opinion.

Also, it is more about their record this year vs last. Teams can change drastically year to year.

Kirk will be sensational this year. I say highest completion percentage this year in the league again. Doubters will eat humble pie again this year.

Steelers, Vikings, Packers, Bengals don’t scare me. We will beat 3 of these teams.

If our back 4 on D are much better as expected, the front 7 will improve greatly. Defense is better for sure than last year. Defense is key. Our offense will be top passing in the league. That will open the run for us.

We are easily 9+ wins. I would be disappointed with less than 10 wins. HTTR!

• redskins12thman - Aug 17, 2016 at 7:05 AM

Last season, the Redskins lost to the Packers at home by 17. The Redskins played well at first but then could not stop Aaron Rodgers and he used a lot of no huddle, while Cousins was not effective after the opening drive of the 2nd half. I expect the Redskins to play much better for a longer part of the game, hopefully well enough to sneak out a win.

It would be great to start off the season with a win against the Steelers. The other 5 games occur between games 8 and 14 in the season (Bengals #8, Vikings #9, Packers #10, Cardinals #12 and Panthers #14. Sandwiched in between these games are road games against divisional opponents.) This is why it is important for the Redskins to start of the season at least 5-2 if not better.

The Redskins need to keep games close, being behind by no more than 7 points at any point.

Teams will start to double or triple team Reed in the Red zone; Cousins will then need to either audible or find the open WR/TE/RB.

• sidepull - Aug 17, 2016 at 7:51 AM

Let em double or triple team Reed. That should be a TD. Pick your poison.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Reed is an elite receiving TE. It’s that simple. He may be the single best receiving TE in the league. Better than Gronk. He’s not a better all around player, and I would take Gronk in a heartbeat over Reed, but Reed might be better as a receiver.

We don’t have too many elite guys. Reed, Williams, and maybe Norman (if he repeats last year’s performance then he’s elite). That’s it. So we have to get those guys involved. Some would argue DJax is elite. I don’t. He has elite speed but he’s not an elite WR. Still, he’s one of the best at a very specific thing. So hopefully we can exploit that too. Get those guys rolling with a solid supporting cast behind them and this will be a fun team to watch.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2016 at 2:37 PM

The Steelers, Vikings, Packers, and Bengals should scare you. Or you should at least respect them. Two have really, really good defenses (Vikings and Bengals) and two have HOF QBs with some pretty, pretty good skilled position players. I see zero chance of us beating 3 of those teams. Maybe one.

There’s a lot of grandstanding about how we’re winning 10 games and going to the playoffs. But go down our schedule with an objective eye and tell me what 10 teams we’re beating. I see 7-8 wins. 8 if we sweep Philly and split with the Giants/Cowboys, which is not a given. That’s also assuming we beat Chicago, who I think will be better than last year.

And that’s really OK guys. This team is still rebuilding. They’re not ready to make a championship push yet so what’s the point of going to the playoffs and bowing out? I just want them to stay competitive in all these games and keep building. I think a higher draft pick is more valuable than another playoff game at this point.

• hail74 - Aug 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM

I agree with everything you just said. I feel were a better team compared to last year but that the wins may not reflect that. I also fully expect a lot of people calling for gruden’s head if we finish in the 7-9 win range which would be a huge mistake and a setback in my opinion.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Oh I hope fans aren’t that ridiculous. 7-9 or 8-8 might be pretty good all things considered. And consistency and continuity are so important.

• hail74 - Aug 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM

You know how fans are though, we should’ve run on every incomplete pass and passed on every stuffed run. Blitzed every first down achieved via the pass and so on. We could be 19-0 if coach only listened to anonymous poster x.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 18, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Lol. Yeah I’ve seen it all. And Gruden has a lot of detractors because of…. well I assume the whole RG3 thing but I guess I don’t really know. I see/hear their comments and it’s all just irrational BS. He could win the SB and they would still say “I can’t wait until he gets fired.”

I was talking about a more rational majority of fans who understand football and know patience is required in these situations. Wow, where did I get that from? I must have been in a really good mood earlier because, you’re right, that’s crazy talk. These people complain about everything. What I should have said: hopefully Snyder and Allen block out the noise and allow McCloughan and Gruden the time to do this right.

• bangkokben - Aug 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM

“They’re not ready to make a championship push yet so what’s the point of going to the playoffs and bowing out?”

I’m sure some Carolina fans had the same “clairvoyance” last year coming off a 7-8-1 record and losing their best receiver. The TRUTH is no one knows how this season will play out and backing into the playoffs and getting a chance is ALWAYS better than 6-10 spots in the draft. In the 2010 season, Seattle beat the Rams to make the playoffs with a losing record and then inexplicably beat the Saints at home to fall all the way to the 25th pick. The Rams picked 14th. The Rams got Robert Quinn and the ‘hawks got James Carpenter. Yet, who went to two Super Bowls? There are so many variables to success and first round draft order is insignificant in how a championship team is made. This isn’t the NBA. The NFL will never institute a draft lottery because it’s completely not necessary. Cam Newton is the first overall draft pick to go to a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him since Peyton Manning.

Trey, you make sense 99% of the time but this time; it’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. You can’t pick and choose when your team is going to be good.

• John - Aug 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Trey is merely being realistic. The Skins have a good season and everyone (color especially) comes out of the woodwork with delusions of grandeur.

They have a much tougher schedule and have not made huge improvements in talent. Sorry but the D Line is a “bunch of guy” and Trent Murphy is not nor ever will be a beast (too slow, can’t beat the other teams backup tackles). Reality is “the depth” is more average guys, no stars. Regardless of how good the back end plays, the guys up front have to be able to pressure the QB without blitzing and they just don’t have the horses.

The OLine, while better is not there yet and the running game is still up in the air. There will be times during the season where they will need to slow the game down or eat up the clock. Do you trust Matt Jones to be that guy?

Of the 4 games mentioned, they could beat the Vikings but overlooking the Packers, Bengals and Steelers are for real.

It is not by any means inconceivable, that they could be better but win fewer games. Regarding Carolina, they were better than their record. The Seahawks were just around the corner from being dominant. Just don’t expect Super Bowls here yet…

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2016 at 10:44 AM

John, I have zero problem with the “we could be better but lose more games” narrative. What I have issue with is that a first round draft choice five slots higher is going to make the difference for the Redskins competing for a championship in 2017. That’s ridiculous.

2. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 17, 2016 at 8:28 AM

After reading the rest of last post’s comments, what’s the use?

We’re doomed. DOOMED!

3. colmac69 - Aug 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Jordan reed stays healthy he will have monster yr…..offense in general imo will b big this season. …how successful we are will b determined by performance of defense….question marks are basically all on defensive side of ball..

Talking bout cousins he hasn’t turned the ball over in the red zone ever….

4. kenlinkins - Aug 17, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Rich, On your last 53 roster you asked to tell you who to remove to keep Toler. Here are a few ideas. 1. Keep Doctson on PUP List, that gives you 6 weeks to see how thing shake out. (ok, you said which defensive player to let go of) That’s fair. 2. Cut Ziggy Hood, with Murphy as OLB he could also play DE in 4 man lines and it gives you 10 guys for 5 starting spots, I just do not know about Ziggy, can he still play, would he be sitting at home if need on Oct?. 3. Cut Perry Riley (or trade him if someone will pick up his contract). Why do you require six ILB’s? even with on that can play Safety. OK your next question might be “why do you need 6 CB’s Ken”. Well, I think that both Phillips and Dunbar could or could NOT be NFL ready (other than Special Teams) and having Toler gives you another year before having to play them when injury hits. IMO CB’s are much harder to find then ILB’s when talking about back up guys. So, how dumb are my ideas?

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 17, 2016 at 1:39 PM

The case for (and against) Ziggy Hood is about the same as Greg Toler’s.

Against: Older players who were available for vet minimum.

For: Both are having good camps and played well against Atlanta.

So that leaves you with: Defensive line is a bigger question mark for us than CB. And Ziggy is 29 while Greg is 31.

• kenlinkins - Aug 18, 2016 at 11:28 AM

While I agree with your For and Against for the most part, would keeping both young CB’s plus Toler be better than Hood? The jury is out on Dunbar and Phillips being ready today and adding Toler would allow to grow into the position if they can. I just do not want to miss out of a really good CB as they are very hard to find (or do you think we have seen the top i.e. Special teams and spot starter for both Dunbar and Phillips)? I wonder if I have not over valued them!

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Hood could end up being the starting nose based off how he played against Atlanta. And he wouldn’t have to be subbed out if someone ramps up the no huddle. Don’t underestimate the value of that.

• lezziemcdykerson - Aug 17, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Let’s see him against the ones before we call him a starter. Hopefully he gets spme PT with the starters Friday.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Yeah sorry if I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t saying for sure that he’s starting material. Just that he had a good showing. But we absolutely need to see it against real competition before we got too excited. And in more than just one game. But he showed potential. Archives