Aug 14, 2016, 5:51 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 14, five days before the Washington Redskins play the New York Jets at FedEx Field.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough 10:35; Jay Gruden news conference 2:45; Practice 3 p.m.; player availability after both sessions
—The Redskins last played a game that counted 217 days ago. It will be 29 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Final roster cut 20; Cowboys @ Redskins 35; Browns @ Redskins 49
The Redskins week that was
With the Redskins on the verge of wrapping up training camp here’s are some of my impressions of what has taken place over the last two and a half weeks here in Richmond.
—Preston Smith left practice early last Tuesday with a slight shoulder injury. Plenty of players who are locked on to the roster would have used the shoulder as an excuse to sit out preseason game No. 1. But Smith did some rehab to get his shoulder ready and played 18 snaps on Thursday. He even came in for a while in the second quarter long after the other starters had departed. Smith said that he wanted to get some “extra reps”. You have to like the second-year players mindset.
—Greg Toler recorded an interception today and made a few other plays. He is making things very difficult on the coaches. To keep him they will either have to cut Quinton Dunbar or Dashaun Phillips or go with six corners. The latter is hard to justify when you already have two safeties, Hall and Blackmon, who played corner their entire careers until this year.
—Last week Matt Jones said that he worked a lot on lowering his pad level over the offseason. He has not done it much during training camp; Jones still runs upright. But last year he was admonished for lowering his pads in practice. It was a little too rough and dangerous for a limited-contact practice. He only got two carries in Atlanta so it’s hard to tell if he really has changed his style. Green said that they want to “get him going” next week against the Jets so maybe we’ll get a chance to see.
—Did Nate Sudfeld lock up a spot on the 53-man roster against the Falcons? There has been plenty of speculation that the Redskins will go with two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster and hope that they can keep Sudfeld on the practice squad. But for a stretch in the third and fourth quarters the rookie looked better than he has at any point in training camp. You could picture him getting the team through a bad spot if disaster struck at the quarterback position during the season. Even considering that the opposition was the Falcons’ third teamers that was a respectable performance.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions