Need to Know: Stock up, stock down for Redskins vs. Falcons

Aug 12, 2016, 5:24 AM EDT

Sudfeld sacked vs Falcons

ATLANTA—Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 12, seven days before the Washington Redskins play the New York Jets at FedEx Field.

Today’s schedule: No availability

—The Redskins last played a game 215 days ago. It will be 31 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.

Days until: Final roster cut 22; Cowboys @ Redskins 37; Browns @ Redskins 51

Stock up, stock down vs. Falcons

Up—Su’a Cravens was all over the field on defense, making a few impressive open-field tackles. And let’s not forget the stop he made on special teams. He will have a huge role on both D and teams.

Down—CB Quinton Dunbar twice got burned by former Redskins receiver Aldrick Robinson, giving up bombs from Matt Schaub that covered 47 and 68 yards and set up a touchdown and a field goal.

Up—NT Ziggy Hood dominated the Falcons’ backup line. As often happens when a nose tackle plays well, he didn’t show up on the stat sheet. But I guarantee you the middle of the Atlanta offensive line while he was in there knew that he played.

Down—There will be better nights for RB Keith Marshall. The rookie carried five times for minus-one yard. To be fair, the Redskins didn’t rush well as a team, gaining just 79 yards for the game. But Marshall still had a bad pro debut.

Up—WR Rashad Ross gets an up arrow even though he dropped a pass that would have made Nate Sudfeld’s night look a lot better. But Ross did catch four passes for 49 yards, including one on fourth and three that kept a touchdown drive alive so the good did outweigh the bad.

Tandler on Twitter

1. colorofmyskinz - Aug 12, 2016 at 5:53 AM

Totally agreed here. I might even place Jones as stock down. I would place most of the front line and Callahan on stock down for run blocking. The front line looked horrible period when it came to establishing a run blocking scheme. I saw zero improvement for establishing lanes, holes and firing off the snap. I place Callahan and the first team, second team front line on stock way down. Jones and Marshall could do nothing. The line was not able to do anything until Atlantas front line was playing their thirds.

Also I place the entire defensive line on stock down for absolutely zero pressure. We nailed it prior to the draft saying we needed middle of the line for both offense and defense and it was loud and clear that there was no improvement from last year. Pathetic line of scrimmage battle on both sides for the skins.

I would add Blackmon to stock down and add Inhencho to stock up.

Overall not a good showing at all from the skins in my opinion. I thought the only thing that looked good honestly was our first team passing, and first team secondary. Other than that, nothing worth noting as improved in my opinion. They should have been reset in their mentality now. They were thinking they were too cheese going in and I think humble pie has been served.

Hopefully that places some fire under their practice intensity. Lot of joking around and patting on the back. ATL provided a dose of reality.

Hope for improvement to come.

• redskins12thman - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Based on last season, two primary concerns of Redskins fans were running attack and defensive line penetration to apply QB pressure and to be more effective at stop the run. Despite only positive vibes coming from Redskins coaches and players, these clearly remain issues and will again impact how the team does, especially against better components.

The Redskins gave up at least 5 20+ yard plays — awful — could have been more as i may have lost count.

The Redskins had more penalties than first downs — awful again.

On the plus side, no major injuries that I know of and no turnovers.

As far as individuals, Dunbar needs to rebound in a big way. I’m surprised you did not mention Preston Smith as a plus; I thought he was more impactful than Hood and against 1st string too. I expected a lot worse from Sudfeld in his first outing but I know it was against the scrubs.

I hope there is less patting themselves on their back and a stronger overall performance for the remaining three games. Really bad overall.

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Since this where we apparently put our over-reactions, here’s mine:

Abandon the run! Forget running if it’s no gain or worse a holding penalty. Running the ball for the Redskins is like taking a sack without losing a down.

• redskins12thman - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Even if the Redskins are poor at running the ball, it’s still important to do.

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Sure it is — in the regular season.

• chimps000 - Aug 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM

bangkokben

last year one of my pet peeves on the play calling was too many runs called when we werent effective…

I understand sean wants to open up play action, i do too, and i think they wanted to protect cousins from throwing it 40 times and the increased chance of picks and therefore decreased confidence from cousins… i agree with that mentality

If cousins continues his strong play, and if the skins continue to mightily struggle running the ball, then we better switch our percentage to closer to the patriots in terms of pass run breakdown

hallmark of good coaching is adapting your scheme to your personnel… unless matt jones makes a big jump, which is possible, and unless our guards and center make a jump health and performance wise, then we will be very poor running the football just like last year

and we will need to air the f****er out

• Trey Gregory - Aug 14, 2016 at 4:25 AM

A run game is still very important. To a young QB and a veteran. They have to keep trying to run the ball even if it doesn’t work. We’re not going to win a whole lot of games at 3 yards per carry. But we won’t win passing 80 times a game either. They’ll start dropping defenders and we won’t complete anything.

It would be impossible for us to mimic New England’s run/pass ratio with similar results, because of the differences in offense. They run the erhardt Perkins. Which is essentially just a way to call a play very quickly. They will line up the exact same way 4 times in a row but seemingly run 4 different plays. Say they line up in an 12 personnel group. They can go no huddle and Brady just yells out “Lion.” (Hypothetical play). That could mean a zone read to the right where one TE is a fullback and the other is an inline blocker while all the receivers run block. Same formation but “Tiger.” That means the X runs a go rout, Y runs a curl in, Z runs and out, the slot runs a stop rout, other TE runs a curl out. and the RB blocks the weak side. Same formation “Panther.” X runs a Post, Y runs a slant, Z runs a dig, TE blocks, RB runs an out. And so on. They can call the play and line up before some defenders even get off the turf. So the defense can’t react and adjust. Plus it’s the exact same look that they run and pass out of. If they stack the box, Brady will throw. If they drop then Brady will hand it off or throw a slant/out. And I guarantee you Bellichick runs packaged plays where the OLine run blocks and the receivers run routs and Brady decides to throw or run post snap based off the defense.

In Gruden’s system though. Every single one of those plays would have an elongated call like “weak right X fly Y stop Z curl tailback swing!” Try communicating that in 2 seconds in a loud stadium no huddle environment and watch the chaos ensue. So they huddle, and use up the whole playclock, and the defense adjusts. You have to stay balanced like that or else they’ll eat you up. It also helps to have Tom Brady if you want to throw 70% of the time. I truly don’t know why anyone runs the west coast anymore.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM

I’ve been saying “sling the snot” out of it all offseason. I’m with you on last year’s rationale for running so often on first down. I also expect them to try to establish confidence in the o-line and back by running the ball early in the season. I just hope their quicker to move on this year if it isn’t working. The passing game was outstanding in play-action last year but it was also good when they didn’t use play-action. The running game was good the first two weeks, then wretched.

Here’s this nugget from Keim: “Last season, in nine of the Redskins last 12 games, they averaged 3.0 yards per carry or less. And in eight of those games it was 2.47 or less, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That’s why there was an uneasy feeling after the game.” So the last three quarters of the season the Redskins running game was abysmal. At the same time during that stretch they made the playoffs. Sling the snot out of the ball.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 2:58 PM

What specifically is the gripe about the Dline? I thought they played well all things considered.

Baker got double teamed the entire game and, didn’t do much for stats, but he took away blockers from other guys.
      Reyes got penetration and, mostly, played his assignment well against the run.
      I thought Murphy was excellent against the run and he got penetration. I don’t recall any of these guys regularly getting pushed around but Murphy was putting pressure on the QB.
      I was a little concerned about Smith’s motor on some plays. He didn’t look like he was into it, but he is a starter and this is a meaningless preseason game. I saw a couple times where it looked like he missed his assignment vs. the run, or just didn’t play the run as well as he should have, but I would expect that to get better with time. He’s still a young player. One or two of ATL’s big runs would have been stuffed if he hadn’t gotten pushed away from the point of attack. Just something to keep an eye on. He still looked pretty good rushing the passer though.
      Golston was as expected: not great but not awful. I’m really wondering if we wouldn’t be better off making him the cut though. He has the body of a nose but is he really better than Paea, Francois, Reyes, Murphy, Ioannidis (probably but he’s a rookie), and Hood?

So I don’t quite get the criticism of the Dline. Not saying you guys are wrong, I just don’t understand what the complaint is.

2. colorofmyskinz - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:15 AM

Forgot about this one…

Doc and Cooley said Ross had been begging for deep balls and the first passed to him in his hands dropped. I go stock down.

Stock up for Martrell Spaight!!! He was a beast on the field. One of the only ones along with Sua.

• ET - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM

I’m hoping Spaight can stay healthy and unconcussed. If he can, it certainly seems like we can expect good things from him, both on special teams and D.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:12 PM

I have to hand it to Ross. I’ve been his biggest critic since last preseason but he’s looking good as a kick returner. I’ll take that from my 6th WR. Again, I’m not trying to overreact to one preseason game. But he looked sharp.

3. hail74 - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:47 AM

Unfortunately the game didn’t air here until 1:30am and then for some reason my Dvr didn’t start until 8 game mins had passed, so I have no idea how the ones did. However the Falcons didn’t get a first down until end of first, and the announcers just said we’ve been getting pretty good pressure. Did the run struggle because Atlanta crowded the box? I doubt they would continue that in a real game if cousins is completing all his passes and moving the ball. Penalties are a huge concern. I know these weren’t first stringers in the secondary but could’ve been called for two PI’s.

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM

The running game was all the crumminess of last year rolled into a preseason game. The “starting” o-line did not come out once McCoy and the twos came in. I have zero concern about the penalties as the refs were flag happy and it’s the flipping pres-season. The ones move the ball well except for those penalties.

• hail74 - Aug 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Yeah your right, I should’ve taken into account that it was Jeff tripplett officiating last night. That guy is terrible. Now having said that if Moses keeps racking up holding penalties I’ll start to worry again.

• bangkokben - Aug 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM

He gets worse every year. He’s horrible and it appeared as if he had a rookie crew.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Well I don’t exactly keep track of refs outside of the head official. But I did notice Sarah Thomas out there. This would be her second year in the NFL, right? So that’s at least one without a lot of experience.

I think these guys lay it on thick in the preseason to try and set the tone. And also because they’re rusty too. A good ref would see a player barely lined up in the neutral zone and give him a warning before calling it. Or go talk to Barry/Gruden and give them a warning. Give them the benefit of the doubt until they don’t deserve it.

The NFL is edging very close to having an NBA type problem with penalties. It’s getting absurd. They add rules to a huge rule book every year and make it nearly impossible for an official to not throw a flag. They made a lot of these rules to open the pass to make the game more exciting. It did help open the pass, but the game is less exciting because it’s always stalling with penalties. Eventually they’re going to have to start removing some rules if they don’t make the game more dangerous.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Atlanta ran a very vanilla defense. They rushed 4 and dropped everyone else with a single high safety on almost every single play. And we ran some two TE sets, and even some 21 personnel groups, and still couldn’t get a push in the run. Some of the running backs were pathetic, but other runs were done before they started because of run blocking.

4. Eli - Aug 12, 2016 at 7:20 AM

Up: Cousins. He was decisive, in command and accurate without the Skins two best offensive players on the field: Williams and Reed.

Up: Cravens. The guy reminds me of a bigger version of another USC product: Polamalu.

Down: Murphy. It seemed like he had a clear 2 or 3-step pathway to the QB 3 or 4 times, and yet he never came close. Murphy’s a good tackler but he just doesn’t have the speed to ever be a sack factor.

Down: The decision not to re-sign Alfred Morris. He’s slow, declining production and clearly benefited early in his career from the 50 series, which is no longer a staple in the Skins playbook. He was very reliable at getting 2-3 yards on first down and not taking a loss (2nd and 8 is better than 2nd and 12), seemed to get at least positive yards when the line wasn’t effective at opening holes and became adept at not fumbling And, he was signed for nearly the league minimum (2 years/$3.5M).

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Come on. You’ve got to be kidding me. Murphy actually had a pretty good game and he’s getting criticized? He got penetration! Lol you’re knocking him because he created the opportunity to sack the QB while the other guys got clogged at the line. The criticism of this guy is unreal.

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Agreed. Houston Bates, on the other hand was horrible. Not playing in the fourth quarter this year but against the twos. There is no wonder that Murph was moved back to OLB.

• ET - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:20 PM

“The criticism of this guy is unreal.”

Agreed. I attrubute it to Murph’s standing as our highest pick in 2014. Fans want “value” from that pick—and, granted, Murphy went too high. We picked up Moses and Breeland later that year, and their value is visible to even casual fans.

Ultimately, Murphy is a smart, solid player who was drafted too high. There’s a whole fan demographic that needs to remember that.

• mtskins - Aug 12, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Agree that a large part of criticism towards Murphy comes from him being drafted too high. I recall at the time that a lot of mocks projected the team taking Moses in the 2nd and instead they took Murphy. I also remember being upset at the pick and then ecstatic we got Moses in the 3rd still. If you flip flop the two it looks somewhat better.

It’s kind of interesting to track Murphy’s career against Demarcus Lawrence’s who they could have had at the top 2nd if they had not opted to trade out with the Cowboys. Murphy will certainly look better the first four games of this year at the very least. It gets really interesting if you decide to factor in the fact they drafted Spencer Long with the pick they received from the Cowboys after they traded down and selected Murphy.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Yeah guys. I agree that Murphy gets criticized because of his draft status. Also because it just seems to be the cool thing to do. The guy had outstanding college production and combine numbers though. He was a good prospect. Just maybe as a DE and not OLB. I’m still not sold on dropping a guy like him into coverage. He may never live up to being a second round pick, but he’s a solid and reliable player. He will still get used as a DE in sub packages and I’m very excited to see what he can do.

Anyway, Ben, I still have to go back and watch Bates closer but from what I can remember, you’re correct. Our starting lineup is good on paper but the depth at OLB is alarming. We NEED an interior pass rush this year. There’s just no other way we’ll survive an entire season.

• Capital Defense - Aug 12, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Murphy weakness coming out of college was strength.

That is the one thing you can’t catch up on in the NFL, everyone he plays against is stronger then him and it shows, he is what he is at this point.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM

So your argument is that humans, more specifically professional athletes, can’t get stronger? Not even if they work out? Or day, gain about 30 pounds of solid muscle in one offseason? Or that it’s unheard of for a guy to make significant gains after college? Really? The human body isn’t really fully developed until about age 25.

Anyway. Murphy had a pretty decent night so I don’t know what you’re complaining about.

• Jlb12300 - Aug 12, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Rewatch the game Cousins did not play well sure he was 5 for 5 but did you notice that he was not throwing the same. The offense was too conservative to see anything with Cousins. Stock down coaching staff except for Joe Berry . The starting Defense played better than any game last year. Murphy made some good tackles stopping some runs. The offense needs to remember how to score so get aggressive and leave them on the field until they do. O-line great pass protection putrid run blocking.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM

I would have liked to see Cousins and the starting offense go one more drive too. Since it stalled out. Would have been different if they went 80 yards and scored. But I also would have been livid if someone got hurt. So, I don’t know. There’s a point where you have to take the bubble wrap off but it doesn’t seem like right now.

Agree about Murphy, the defense overall, and the run blocking. I didn’t quite see what you saw with Cousins though. He didn’t dazzle me but I thought he looked good for a very small sample size in the first preseason game. This offense is predicated on taking the advantages of passing while negating the risks. Conservative passes are built into its DNA. He looked sharp, got the ball out fast, and threw the ball where it was supposed to go in my opinion.

There was one play, can’t remember exactly which one (maybe the 3rd down pass to Thompson where he ran out of bounds before the first) where a receiver (I think Vernon Davis) looked open, with some space to run, on the opposite side of the field. I wonder if that would have been a better read. But the angle didn’t allow me to see the defenders behind Davis so I’m not sure. It was either than pass or one to Grant. That’s the only play where I wondered if he could have done better.

5. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Ugh.
    ~

6. kenlinkins - Aug 12, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Rich: It seemed the Redskins played a lot of people in the first preseason game, more than normal. I wonder if it was due to the coach’s rewarding guys for working hard so far in camp.
    Also, it seemed like many Redskin DB where having trouble finding the ball in the air and where way out of position, was there any concerns about that on the side lines or were the DB just making that many rookie type mistakes?

• Rich Tandler - Aug 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM

I don’t think it was more than normal. There were, going off of memory, about a dozen who did not play. I’ll compare the snap counts to preseason Week 1 last year when I get a chance but I don’t think it was anything out of the ordinary.

• kenlinkins - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM

I did read that all my one Redskins found the field. I do wonder how that’s fits with last years first preseason game.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 13, 2016 at 4:03 AM

I checked. Three healthy players did not see the field last year. So not much of a difference.

7. renhoekk2 - Aug 12, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Way too much criticism and overreaction going on here for the first preseason game that more than 3/4ths of which was played by backups.

• redskins12thman - Aug 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM

I agree that you cannot determine how the team will play and will do during the regular season based on the preseason. Still, the initial signs were not encouraging 8 runs 0 yards for runs against Falcons starters); 14 penalties, 100+ yards and several others declined; many big plays surrendered. On the plus side, no turnovers lost, solid play by QBs.

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM

It’s the FIRST game of the pre-season and we were a horrible run team last year. Why did we expect something different?

• redskins12thman - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Because the coaches have been asked about it, and they’ve stated that they felt adjustments had been made that would show some progress. We’ve seen enough improvement across the board that there’s at least a little hope that some progress will be made (e.g., from 3.7 to 4.2 or 4.3 yards per carry average).

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Again, why will their adjustments manifest in the FIRST PRE-SEASON game? Improvement does need to be made but we don’t need to see it until September.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:21 PM

And to add, the coaches aren’t going to give away their adjustments in any preseason game. They’re not trying to put out any tape for how to beat their new schemes. They’re running very basic plays/schemes on both sides of the ball. They just want the vets to hit and get hit a few times to knock the rust off and to evaluate the new guys under some real game speed conditions. That’s it.

But also, you can’t listen to anything the coaches say. What are they supposed to say, “well our run game is going to be terrible this year because our GM didn’t do his job so we don’t have the talent then I didn’t do my job and coach up the guys we do have! Please don’t fire me!” Come on man. It’s all rainbows and butterflies this time of the year. Every year there’s a “sky’s the limit” quote from someone. Some vet will proclaim this is the best unit he’s ever worked with. The front office will say how they’re excited about every single player they brought in. Even the 8th round picks will be hall of famers! And every team in the NFL is going to win 10 games. That’s called preseason hype. Have to tune it out.

This team was truly one of the worst running the ball last year. They could improve their rankings by double and still be below average. And a late 7th round pick certainly isn’t going to give them THAT much of a boost (if any). Let’s temper expectations for something more realistic. They’ll have done well if they finish the 25th best rushing attack.

• ohioskins - Aug 12, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I couldn’t agree more. Hello! It’s the first preseason game. My goodness, chill ! Give them some time. I remember the Gibbs teams in the 80s/90s. You could almost count on if the Skins had a rotten preseason, they were great during the regular season, if they looked great in the preseason, the regular season wasn’t that good.
      It’s like the sky is falling here today. Way too many Chicken LIttles posting this morning.

• bangkokben - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Dang. You beat me to the Chicken Little reference.

• kenlinkins - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Kind of like when Ohio States football team has a bad practice, we hear about it for weeks on TV.

• ohioskins - Aug 12, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Or id JT has a hang nail…

• ohioskins - Aug 12, 2016 at 5:47 PM

should have been “if”

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Do you even preseason?

Overreaction is what’s it’s all about!!!!!!!
        ~

8. baugh33 - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM

The run game will look totally different when Williams comes back. I guarantee it. He is not only our best lineman, he is also a leader.

As for other things, it’s game 1. Colt McCoy dropped a pass into Vernon Davis’ hands and Davis missed it. Davis won’t do that again.

Wake me up when we get manhandled in game 3 – which we won’t.

Also, nice job by Cousins! Kudos to him! I think we have a keeper. We’ll see…

9. kenlinkins - Aug 12, 2016 at 11:59 AM

IMO we saw a lot of rookie mistakes but we also saw a lot of rookies. The RB’s and the O-Line timing is way off, maybe due to Williams not playing, running lanes were opening & closing faster than the doors at the end of a “laugh in” TV show. Many of the DB were acting like they couldn’t see the ball in the air, maybe they were just over running or under running WR’s, it is a bit early to have “lead legs” in Camp. I didn’t understand what they were doing with the Pass Rush, sometimes they stayed in gaps while other times they slanted the DE towards the middle. Was it just poor play, lack of a good push, or something else. While there is a long list of minor things that when wrong, I also saw some young guys you look pretty good for their first NFL game. The game speed was not a big problem, no one looked over matched their whole time on the field, the hitting over all hitting was solid, Both first units played well and I saw a few back up types that showed might be on the right track. The little I saw of Riley makes me think he might be gone if he doesn’t pick it up. Anyone get a good read of Riley? All in all, My main concerns are the same, PASS RUSH and RUNNING GAME, everything else looked coachable and should be corrected soon. I didn’t lose any sleep after watching that game.

• ET - Aug 12, 2016 at 2:02 PM

I saw some bright spots (Cravens, Spaight) some correctable letdowns (Dunbar, the number of penalties) and some things that may turn into real issues (run game).

The defensive line isn’t making me nervous—I thought they looked decent/promising, but I need to see more. Conditioning seemed to be an issue for the DL at points last year, but I doubt we get any answers there until the regular season. I’m mildly concerned about the run game, but agree there’s no reason to go into Chicken Little Mode, either.

10. sidepull - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Air it out. Score more points. Nice group of RB’s. We good right?

11. wncskinsfan - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:25 PM

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I’m going back and rewatching every play. It takes a while because the angles suck and I only watch one player, then rewind and watch another. I’m barely into the second quarter and I’ve already seen multiple plays where Moses could/should have been called for holding. I should have kept a tally. There’s holding on every play in every game for every team. But Moses still got away with some that will get called sooner or later.

So far it appears he needs to work on his hands. I don’t know if he just wasn’t into playing a preseason game or if he was having a bad night or what. But he kept letting his defender get their hands on his chest and control him. That’s why he had to hold them to not get beat. There’s absolutely no need to panic but it’s something to keep an eye on. He has to do better with his hands.

His feet were a little slow at times too. That’s why I’m wondering if he wasn’t into playing (which is a while seep rate set of issues) or if he didn’t feel well or something. He wasn’t awful, and he was going against a guy (Vic Beasley) who I think will be a very pass rusher sooner than later. But Moses can’t allow guys to beat him on that third step (his second) and get their hands inside.

12. wncskinsfan - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Yep, I agree with a lot of these “over reactions” posted here, full and well aware that it is a first pre-season game. The trenches on both sides of the ball looked a little softer than I thought they would. The run, both sides of the ball, is still suspect. Morgan Moses needs to stop getting holding calls. I agree with whoever said Jones stock went down, I saw no improvement there, yet. And Marshall. Can we just get a vet back now? It really looks needed.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM

sorry for the double post guys, phone going nuts.

13. baugh33 - Aug 12, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Rich,

Any word on Niles Paul? I saw the replay on the NFL Network and it was Falcons broadcast (very homer) and I saw him limp off but no update. Any idea?

• Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Those announcers were awful. They kept getting the names wrong, saying players were on the field who weren’t even play, and got positions wrong. They’re showing a replay with a guy’s name clearly visible but still kept calling him the wrong name. And have a little professional integrity with your analysis. Are you a Atlanta cheerleader or a sports announcer?

14. metalman5150 - Aug 12, 2016 at 5:14 PM

A lot of flags, yes, but some of the flags were too wishy washy.
    Looking at the two against preston smith and agianst trent murphy.

I got to listen to the atlanta call so it was pretty biased and did not show key replays of infractions against washington.

15. Trey Gregory - Aug 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I love how, after an entire offseason ripping him to shreds, I haven’t seen a single complaint about Kory. People don’t want to criticize him after a good game, but they can’t quite bring themselves to say he played well. And he did. I was a little surprised how well he played coming off that injury and all.

• Mr.moneylover - Aug 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Him lining up next to Spencer long won’t work for the running game …Spencer long can’t move his guy backwards to create a lane

• Trey Gregory - Aug 13, 2016 at 3:01 PM

I noticed Long getting rocked back a little too. But that’s not Kory’s problem. He did what he was supposed to do. And we still have Lauvao to play LG if Long isn’t up to the task.

Did you see Long at center? Or Leribus on the field in general? Leribus looked terrible. Like a fat caricature of an NFL linemen. Long wasn’t downright awful, but he didn’t look great either. Kory is clearly the best option.

16. Capital Defense - Aug 12, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Up on Ross?

The Ross who still can’t seperate and catch a ball right in his mits? The Ross who can’t find a hole on kickoff returns? The Ross that is so darn fast? Come on, I keep hearing about this guys speed. if he can’t catch or find a hole what the hell does speed do for you? Oh yea, he fumbled and was fortunate with the lucky bounce right back to him.

Its time for a new project 6th WR, we are gonna need that 6th WR to progress to 3 or 4 and Ross is not going to get it done.

Up on Cravens is fair he made 4 very good plays, on 2 of them he was not playing his assignment. If you are not disciplined in the NFL it means not for long but he is a rookie so he gets a pass for now.

17. goback2rfk - Aug 13, 2016 at 12:06 AM

I could not get the game in my sh|tty market. ugh!

• Trey Gregory - Aug 13, 2016 at 3:24 AM

They replay the games on NFL network non stop. I watched the first half on my phone, NFL mobile (which will get you every game regardless of where you live) then set my DVR for the 12:30 a.m. rerun of the game on NFL Network.