Aug 8, 2016, 5:01 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 7, four days before the Washington Redskins open their preseason in Atlanta against the Falcons.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough 10:30; Jay Gruden press conference 2:45; practice 3:00; player availability after both practices
—The Redskins last played a game 211 days ago. It will be 35 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason vs. Jets @FedEx Field 11; Final roster cut 26; Cowboys @ Redskins 41
Outlook for Atlanta: A lot of vanilla
If you want to know how much preparation the Redskins are putting into their first preseason game against the Falcons, read what Jay Gruden had to say on the subject.
“We won’t start that preparation until later in the week,” he said on Friday, the day before a Saturday off day. “Sunday will still be a training camp day, probably Monday will be, too. Probably Tuesday we’ll start looking at Atlanta and maybe put together a plan for them then.”
The game, in case you don’t know, is Thursday. They will travel to Atlanta on Wednesday. So that leaves just Tuesday, and perhaps a quick walkthrough before going to the airport on Wednesday, to “prepare” for the Falcons.
In other words, don’t look for much in the way of game planning or anything other than the dreaded “vanilla” on both sides of the ball. Although Gruden hasn’t announced anything, it’s like that the starters will play a series or two before giving way to the second and third teams. The object will be to keep it simple and see how well the players execute the fundamentals and carry out their assignments.
The Redskins may get a little deeper into the playbook in the second preseason game against the Jets and game No. 3 against the Bills. But when most coaches try to balance executing what they are going to do during the regular season against real competition and keeping their concepts under wraps, they usually err on the side of keeping it a secret.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Trent Williams back in practice, but still sore: “It’s called getting old”
- Williams back but limited
- Redskins practice report—Day 9
- Still depth for Redskins at ILB
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Camp gets underway
- Redskins rookie linebacker out for the season
- Projecting the Redskins’ 53-man roster
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have been protecting Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined