Aug 5, 2016, 1:01 PM EDT
We’re rolling at a different time today as the Redskins switch up the schedule and go with a single 1:00 practice today. So it’s Friday, it’s after lunch, you’re not going to do much of anything a work anyway. Follow along as the Redskins practice and Tandler follows along live.
–It’s cool and cloudy as we get things going here. It’s also Friday for the players–they are off tomorrow–so things should be lively.
–Special teams drill had a ball carrier and a tackler with the “returner” making one move to get past the “tackler”. It’s a big advantage to the returner. One tackler who was not dodged, however, was Su’a Cravens. The returner tried a couple of moves on the rookie but couldn’t get past him. Such an ability to read a runner certainly translates to open-field tackling on defense.
–As he promised yesterday, Matt Jones is back to work, wearing pads and taking part in individual drills. We will see how much he participates in team drills.
–Jamison Crowder is not with the wide receivers as they do individual drills. We will get a clarification from Gruden after practice.
–WR Maurice Harris just ran past Jay Gruden, who was playing an immobile defender, cut across the middle and flat dropped a pass right in his hands. No eye in the sky needed to evaluate that one, right in front of the head coach.
–Looks like that 10 percent chance of precipitation is coming through. If you don’t hear from me for a while it’s because I had to put my iPad away.
–Jones is in there for team work. He went to the ;;’ground after finding the middle clogged on a running play. He appears to be OK.
–Keith Marshall just ran through Quinton Dunbar on a run around right end. Of course, you never know what would have happened of there was live tackling; Dunbar may have let up a bit.
–A forced fumble got the D chanting “defense, defense”. They were rewarded on the very next play with a pick by rookie Lloyd Carrington. That brought one large celebration in the middle of the field.
–Valdez Showers was so open on a red zone play that he had time to fall down, get back up, catch McCoy’s pass, and run in for the TD before anyone could touch him.
–They are giving the second and third teams a bit of a rest in this team session. The ones have ;yet to make an appearance in this round of reps.
–With the first team resting Chris Baker has plenty of time and energy to cheer on the defense, taunt the offense when they make a mistake, and give suggestions to Jay Gruden.
That’s it, folks. Thanks for coming by, see you Sunday at 1.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain