Aug 2, 2016, 12:04 PM EDT
RICHMOND—The good news was that Bashaud Breeland tied for the team lead in interceptions last year. The bad news was that he only had two.
Back to encouraging news, it looked like Breeland was in position to make a few more picks. He lost the handle on a pick in the end zone against the Panthers and he dropped another against the Giants in FedEx Field. The defense gave up touchdowns shortly after the missed opportunities. Holding on to the ball is a major area of opportunity for Breeland if he is going to become a top-level cornerback.
Last week Breeland said that he did a lot of film work over the summer. It also looks like he got to work catching the ball.
During practice on Saturday, Kirk Cousins threw an intermediate pass to rookie wide receiver Maurice Harris. The ball floated and Breeland went up for the interception. He make the catch, which was impressive as you can see in the photo below from the Redskins’ Instagram account. What was perhaps more impressive was that he held onto the ball after hitting the ground hard.
Yes, it was just a practice in July. But Breeland developing some sticker hands could go a long way towards helping the defense this year.
It is presumed that teams will avoid throwing towards All-Pro corner Josh Norman, who had two pick sixed last year before teams started throwing to the other side. If that happens then Breeland will see a lot of passes coming his way. If he can make them pay by holding on to chances for interceptions then the defense the lives of opposing offensive coordinators will become very difficult when they are playing the Redskins.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season