Aug 2, 2016, 6:08 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, August 2, nine days before the Washington Redskins open their preseason in Atlanta against the Falcons.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough 10:30; Jay Gruden press conference 2:45; Practice 3:00
—The Redskins last played a game 205 days ago. It will be 41 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason vs. Jets @FedEx Field 17; Final roster cut 32; Cowboys @ Redskins 47
Read and react—Jay Gruden
Reading some segments of Gruden’s press conference and reacting to them.
“Right now we need [Su’a Cravens] to learn the system – his run fits obviously, his pass drops. His man-coverage skills are pretty good but he still can work on that. He’s learning. He’s a work-in-progress like all these young players are, like everybody is, like I am. So we’re just going to keep practicing, that’s what we’re out here for.”
I think that a lot of fans are too anxious to see Cravens accomplish great things. Sure he got a couple of takeaways in practice last week but he still has a lot to learn. It’s hard enough for a rookie to learn one position; for Cravens to reach his peak effectiveness it probably will take him at least several games into the regular season, possibly more. They aren’t going to want to throw him into positions where he isn’t comfortable. Look for him to get a role that increases as the season goes on and he learns more positions.
“I think [Will Blackmon] had a couple really good days, really. I’ve been really impressed with Will. His reaction time has been outstanding and he’s got his hands on some balls.”
I was surprised this spring when Blackmon said that he had never played safety before with the exception of a snap here and there over his nine years in the NFL. He has been doing a good job in camp but I will be interested to see how he does when they start playing against guys in the other colored jerseys. I’ve been calling him a lock to make the 53-man roster and he probably is but
“Niles [Paul] came back a little quicker [from the ankle injury he suffered last August] than we anticipated. We weren’t sure how Niles was going to come back from his injury. We had to protect ourselves and Vernon [Davis] was staring us right in our face and we grabbed him.”
I had not heard that Davis was signed as insurance against Paul not making a complete recovery from the ankle injury that his doctors said was one of the worst he’s ever seen. They also signed Logan Paulsen while Paul was still a question mark. So they wound up with four (so far) healthy tight ends. There are scenarios for all four of the to make the roster but it’s not a given.
“[CB Greg Toler] has been the ‘forgotten man,’ in fact I forgot to mention him the other day when we were talking about corners. He’s been outstanding out here. You know, he keeps showing up and making plays. Had a big interception yesterday or two days ago and a veteran guy who knows routes and can run still.”
Toler has made a few plays out there. I’m still not sure how the player who was signed 10 days before Josh Norman unexpectedly became a free agent makes the roster. They will keep a maximum of five cornerbacks. Toler is clearly behind Norman, Bashaud Breeland, and draft pick Kendall Fuller. I don’t think they would keep Toler over Quinton Dunbar. That would leave Toler fighting with Dashaun Phillips for the last spot and I think Phillips has the edge. We will see.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Redskins DC Joe Barry gets mic’d up
- NTK: Hall says adjustment to safety going well
- Gruden flashes temper at hot Redskins practice
- Redskins get back big piece on the offensive line
- D-Hall declares Redskins secondary the best he’s ever played on
- Redskins fans – Calm down about Josh Norman videos
- Redskins Training Camp Day 4: 3 things to watch
- Farm debuts corny version of Cousins’ ‘You Like That!’
- Hall: Redskins secondary ‘best group I’ve ever been around’
- Redskins’ Galette relents, announces he’ll have surgery
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have been protecting Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined