Aug 1, 2016, 4:24 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 1, 10 days before the Washington Redskins open their preseason in Atlanta against the Falcons.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough 10:30; Jay Gruden press conference 2:45; Practice 3:00
—The Redskins last played a game 204 days ago. It will be 42 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason vs. Jets @FedEx Field 18; Final roster cut 33; Cowboys @ Redskins 48
Emptying the notebook from last week
A few tidbits I picked up last week that didn’t quite fit into any posts.
—I asked DeAngelo Hall how he was coming along in adjusting to playing safety. He rated himself at an eight on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being ready to step on the field against the Steelers. The veteran, starting his 13th year, said the he benefitted from playing some safety towards the end of last year.
—While Chris Thompson said he is ready for anything, he didn’t seem to believe that he is in line to be Matt Jones’ primary backup. He also didn’t have any idea if the team planned to bring in a veteran to fill that role. It sounds like Thompson will be the third down back again this year and he seems to be perfectly happy in that role
—Trent Murphy read a screen pass on Saturday and picked off Kirk Cousins’ throw. He said that he was happy to make a play from the defensive end spot to show the coaches he could be an impact player from there. His move from outside linebacker to defensive end has been somewhat under the radar, primarily because nobody really knows what to expect. We might get a solid hint in preseason games, it looks like Murphy is going to come out with a mindset that he has something to prove.
—One of the sleds that the defensive linemen hit every day broke. Chris Baker said that he popped the bolts on it, joking that all of the linemen were trying to break it so they wouldn’t have to deal with it any more. Baker acknowledged, however, that the broken bolts would be replaced and the sled would be as good as new when practice resumes on Monday.
—Back to the running back spot, Jones is going to be in the spotlight as he becomes the lead dog at the position but he isn’t feeling any pressure. “I’ve been through it before,” he told me after one practice. “Being the man, you’re the man, why have pressure? Just handle business like everybody is expecting you to do.” We will see how it works out.
Tandler Redskins on Twitter Instagram
Bashaud Breeland make a spectacular interception during practice on Saturday. Unlike the media, the Redskins can shoot pictures after the first 30 minutes or so. They caught the catch in this picture:
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions