Jul 31, 2016, 4:53 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 31, 11 days before the Washington Redskins open their preseason in Atlanta against the Falcons.
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no practice scheduled
—The Redskins last played a game 203 days ago. It will be 43 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason vs. Jets @FedEx Field 19; Final roster cut 34; Cowboys @ Redskins 49
The Redskins week that was
Long-term effects from Jarrett loss—The loss of Junior Galette to injury was bad news for the defense, no doubt about it. But as he was on a one-year contract his long-term future with the team was unsettled. Before Kyshoen Jarrett had that fateful collision in Dallas he was going to be a key piece to the defense through at least the 2018 season. His injury may well be career ending and it could be a challenge for him to live a normal life dealing with his right arm.
Don’t forget about Niles Paul—This was written before training camp started and he has done nothing to make a liar out of JP, who wrote the post, since. Paul plays with an edge and he fights for everything. He’ll get his share of snaps on offense and make some important catches. And don’t underestimate what he adds to special teams.
NTK—First down rushing woes must be fixed—The Redskins were the worst first-down rushing team in the league last year, on both sides of the ball. No team averaged fewer yards per first-down carry on offense or gave up more per carry on defense. I brought this up a few times during the course of the offseason not to be repetitious but because it was so surprising and so important to fix.
POD: Cousins improving under pass pressure—This is a series I’ll be running during training camp, taking a play or two from the previous practice and looking at how it demonstrates what they are working on or a problem area that they are addressing. Check out the post and let me know what you think of it.
NTK: 5 Redskins with a lot to prove—Kirk Cousins and DeSean Jackson are on this list, also done before the start of camp. So far they have hooked up on some spectacular long passes and there have been some head-scratching misses, too. The chemistry between the two is still a work in progress.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Redskins practice report–Day 3
- Redskins name Beathard to Ring of Fame
- POD: Cravens creating turnovers
- NTK: Redskins will put on the pads today
- D-Hall working through move to safety, will ‘pick it up quickly’
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins preparing for Browns - without Josh Doctson
- Gruden: Redskins still sorting out offensive line changes
- Week 4 Redskins injury report: Three starters out of practice
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap