Jul 30, 2016, 5:40 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 30, 12 days before the Washington Redskins open their preseason in Atlanta against the Falcons.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough 10:30; Jay Gruden press conference 2:45; Practice 3:00
—The Redskins last played a game 202 days ago. It will be 44 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason vs. Jets@FedEx Field 20; Final roster cut 35; Cowboys @ Redskins 50
Putting on the pads
The Redskins have been practicing without pads for the last two days. Although the pace has been a beat or two quicker than it was without pads in minicamp it’s still no-pads football and it’s hard to gauge much about how the players are doing since it’s not even real practice football.
That will change soon. I asked Jay Gruden when the pads are going to go on.
“We’re going to put them in pads tomorrow [Saturday] if it doesn’t rain,” saiad Gruden. “So we’ll see how it goes with the weather. But tomorrow’s the plan for pads and we’ll give them off on Sunday, and then go Monday in pads, Tuesday in pads. Wednesday will be a special teams-type day. Thursday probably pads and go from there.”
Actually, if they actually have four of the next five practices in full pads I’ll be surprised. They could go with shells (light pads) on one or maybe two of the days.
Gruden wants to be careful not to beat up his players.
“We’re not going to do any live tackling that I foresee – maybe with the twos and threes, maybe a live period here and there – but the ones will not do any live tackling until Week 1 of the preseason,” he said.
It’s always a tough balancing game for coaches. Too little contact and it the team won’t be ready to play when the season starts. Too much contact and you have players who are either injured or, at best, have a quarter of a season’s worth of wear and tear on the players before taking a regular season snap.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Norman helps the Redskins on both sides of the ball
- Redskins activate Perry Riley
- Norman not interested in talking about Odell Beckham
- D-Jax: Nobody believes in us. We don’t really care
- LIVE Redskins practice report–Day 2
- POD: Cousins improving under pass pressure
- Smith ready to step up after Galette injury
- NTK: Long will not hand starting job back to Lauvao
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure to perform against the Browns
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park