Jul 26, 2016, 5:09 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, July 26, two days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 198 days ago. It will be 48 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener @ Falcons 16; Final roster cut 39; Cowboys @ Redskins 54
Five Redskins with a lot to prove in 2016
QB Kirk Cousins—If you need any explanation here you haven’t been paying much attention this summer. He’s on a one-year contract that he could turn into a very lucrative long-term deal. Or he could end up being a journeyman.
RB Matt Jones—With four lost fumbles and a league low of 3.4 yards per carry last year, Jones didn’t really do much to justify getting handed the starting job. But that is what is happening so it’s up to him to keep it and perform up to his abilities. Either he establishes himself as a solid starter or the Redskins will begin the search for alternatives.
C Kory Lichtensteiger—It is likely that Lichtensteiger heard the talk that the Redskins would have drafted Alabama center Ryan Kelly if he had been available in the first round. Combine that with the fact that he missed 11 games with a neck and shoulder injury last year and you have a player who has to prove that he still belongs. He’s probably safe for this year but if he wants to continue his career beyond 2016 he needs to stay healthy and perform this season.
OLB Ryan Kerrigan—After signing a big contract extension just as training camp started Kerrigan struggled with an ailing knee and, later in the season, a broken hand. With Junior Galette now out for the season he will be under the gun to come up big to make sure that the Redskins keep the pressure on opposing quarterbacks.
S DeAngelo Hall—Hall is undergoing a position switch and he has a lot to learn. At age 32 he has two years left on his contract and with cap hits of $5 million per season his learning curve is expected to be short. This season will go a long way towards determining whether or not Hall can extend his career for a few more seasons or if this season will be the end of the line.
Note: When I wrote the first draft for this post yesterday afternoon I included OLB Junior Galette, who was on a one-year contract and out to prove that he had returned to his 2013-2014 form. Now he has to rehab a torn Achilles for the second offseason in a row.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- NTK: The Redskins strengths and weaknesses
- Galette reportedly injures Achilles again
- Redskins OLB spot looks thin after Galette injury
- With Galette out – are any free agents worth bringing in?
- After promising rookie season, Redskins waive Kyshoen Jarrett
- Can Cousins stay away from the turnover bug again?
- Redskins sell naming rights for practice facility
- Vegas betting information shows lack of respect for Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly