Jul 20, 2016, 5:28 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, July 20, eight days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 192 days ago. It will be 54 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Preseason opener @ Falcons 22; Final roster cut 45; Cowboys @ Redskins 60
A week before reporting, some thoughts on the Redskins
The Redskins report to Richmond a week from today. Here are some thoughts on training camp and on the season.
—Everyone wants to know how much Josh Doctson will play this year and what his role will be. The person who ultimately answer that question is Doctson. It all depends on how quickly he picks up the scheme and running routes (the TCU route tree was not exactly challenging) and how well he does in the early season opportunities he will get. He could end up playing anywhere from 400 to 600 snaps (about 40% to 60%).
—The Redskins may not have broken the bank on Kirk Cousins but they have invested in weapons for him to target. They are fifth in the NFL in cap dollars devoted to wide receivers and 11th in tight end spending. They would be higher at tight end but Jordan Reed’s contract extension has him costing just $3.4 million against the cap this year, a number that jumps to $5.8 million next year and $10.3 million in 2018. It also should be noted that they invested a first-round pick in Doctson, a major expenditure of resources that doesn’t hit the salary cap very hard. Only two other teams, the Cowboys and Titans, are in the top 11 in spending in both receivers and tight ends. Cousins will have no reason to complain about a lack of support.
—A year ago there was talk that Bashaud Breeland would be better as a safety than as a cornerback. Some in the organization speculated that he was a more natural fit there. Now he is being viewed as a quality player at the much more important cornerback spot. Although I think the fans and media here overrate him sometimes he is pretty good and, perhaps more importantly, he puts in the work it takes to get better. Along with Morgan Moses he is going to be a member of the 2014 draft class the Redskins likely will want to extend next year.
—If the Redskins were going to sign a veteran running back before training camp I would think they would have done it by now. My understanding is that backs like Pierre Thomas are going to be looking for more money if they are going to have to go through training camp. I guess it’s OK to try to save some cap dollars but an injury would be disastrous. It could bring up a scenario like we saw in 2010 when Clinton Portis got injured leaving Ryan Torain and Keiland Williams to handle the carries. This seems to be an unnecessary roll of the dice but we’ll see if it’s a gamble they win.
—Some were wondering if the Redskins tried out Jimmy Clausen with the idea of bringing him in as a fourth quarterback for training camp. I very much doubt it. The need for four quarterbacks in training camp has pretty much gone away with the abolition of two full practices a day. The throws in the daily walkthough are more like soft tosses so that saves the arms for the full practice. If you have four quarterbacks who need to get work in the one full practice none of them are going to get enough reps. So three arms is plenty. I don’t see the Redskins consider signing Clausen unless injuries force them to seek another QB.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Ranking the Redskins Part 3: 53-16
- True or False: Cousins will be the starter in ’17
- Culliver to visit Cardinals
- Can Redskins front 7 exceed low expectations?
- NTK: How well will the 2016 Redskins run the ball?
- McCloughan to Cousins: ‘It’s a team sport, it’s not an individual sport’
- Longtime Redskins superfan ‘Chief Zee’ passes away
- Players react to passing of Chief Zee
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain