Need to Know: How much will the Redskins defense improve?

Jul 3, 2016, 6:20 AM EDT

Redskins-defense-tackling-USAT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 3, 25 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.

—The Redskins last played a game 175 days ago. It will be 71 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.

Days until: Franchise tag contract deadline 12; Preseason opener @ Falcons 39; Final roster cut 62

Fan questions: How much will the defense improve?

source:

I figured I would take these two Facebook questions together since they are closely related.

When talking about improvement we have to look at last year and see how the defense played. I believe they were better than the popular fan perception said they were. Yes, they were “ranked” 28th but that just looks at yards allowed, at best a rough measure of the quality of a defense. They were 13th in red zone efficiency, 12th when it came to preventing touchdowns in goal to go situations and 8th in takeaways.

Those numbers are a big part of why they were 17th in points allowed. Due to their playmaking with the takeaways and coming together in key situations I’d put them in the lower middle of the pack; not awful but with plenty of room for improvement.

They certainly can get a lot better against the run. They were 26th in rushing yards per game and 31st in yards allowed per carry. Improvement in the defense will start there.

If they do get better against the run they are going to have to do it without a significant upgrade in talent on the defensive line. They added some interesting players in free agent Kendall Reyes, who worked with the first team at right end a lot during the offseason practices that were open to the media, and draft pick Matt Ioannidis. Trent Murphy, who was moved from outside linebacker, will contribute. But none of those players is going to transform the defensive line into a run-stuffing machine.

And they will have to try to get better against the run without a true 3-4 nose tackle. They let Terrance Knighton walk as a free agent and they don’t have a replacement.

I don’t want to pin all of the team’s rushing defense woes on the line. They allowed 55 runs of 10 yards or longer; only three teams allowed more. That tells me that when ball carriers got past the first line of defense they weren’t getting much support from the second level. That needs to improve as well.

They might get better against the run with a second year in Joe Barry’s defense but I still see opposing offenses testing them early and often.

I do, however, think the pass defense will improve. They were 25th in yards allowed per pass play and that should get better. They are adding two potentially transformational talents in free agent CB Josh Norman and pass rusher Junior Galette, who is back from an injury. Another year of growth for OLB Preston Smith and CB Bashaud Breeland could give the defense two more Pro Bowl caliber talents. Both the pass rush and the coverage will be better.

Since teams pass more often than they run some improvement in pass defense will go a long way towards making the overall defense better. They are a couple of drafts away from being anything close to dominant but there should be improvement.

Feel free to hit me up with your questions at Facebook.com/RealRedskins or on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

1. soulbldr7 - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:16 AM

So from my understanding, we didn’t get any better running but we have improved our pass defense. Doesn’t that just mean that the opponent will just run all over us? Obviously, if running is working, they can simply run all day and end up with a win.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Your interpretation could very well align with reality. I’m not sure this defense will be able to stop the better run teams from getting into the second level. The secondary will have their hands full in helping the line/LBs containing the run.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM

It’s helpful to make the other offense 1-dimensional.

If we’re better against the pass, we will be better overall.
        ~

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM

You need balance to be a better defense. Pressure may offset the weak rushing defense in some games but good teams will exploit the weaknesses. Staying one demensional on defense can only be mitigated if the offense also improves by producing more early leads and points. So adding more pressure alone isn’t enough.

I like the weapons on offense but not enough to agree more pressure makes a weak run defense better overall

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Sorry I misread pressure. While the coverage unit will be better defending the pass I don’t know how that helps stopping the run unless the pressure is also improved which I think I will be. However don’t expect man coverage with the DBs because neither are pure shutdown corners. If we had Green and Bailey covering then that could help stopping the run but this group won’t give much help in that area.

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Man is the worst coverage against the run. Any zone, like our cover 3 helps against the run so not sure what you are talking about there.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Maybe it’s because you never played the game. The Man coverage allows possibly both safeties to play up to play the run more aggressively. Typically in the Man, the DBs play up tight on the wide outs and only focus on his guy.

Zone coverage gives LBs and DBs an area of the field to COVER and focus on the QB not the RB. It’s intent is to confuse the QB in the passing and possibly stunt on blitz situations. How the heck is the zone coverage helping to better contain the run whe the secondary is normally over 10 yards back in COVERAGE?

You never could have played defense before if you think zone coverage was better designed to stop the run.

There is a reason every DC wants two shut down corners. It gives them tremendous flexibility in stopping both the run and pass by playing Man

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM

You really think you’re right about any of that!

Reminds me of the old Regan quote…you know so much that just isn’t true.

Well, you did get one thing right. Every DC wants a shut down corner. But there’s only two or three walking the earth at any given time.

Zone works better against the run because eyes are in the backfield. Find anyone that disagrees.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Okay, I’m going to end it here since you are just making a fool of yourself.

Below is a link to something perfect for you. It’s called football for dummies.

Look for the 8 man in the box section where It explains the setup to stop the run best when a team has a strong secondary. …”But a team can put a strong safety SS in the box if it has two outstanding CBs who can cover WRs man to man.

Aren’t you the same one some months back I had to explain what defense a Jack LB played and that a 4-2-4 defense is not use with 5 LBs? Should I look those comments back up and bring them here?

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Yup, bring those comments back because you were wrong then too. Also had links you felt backed you up.

You are trying to say that if you have two corners that can cover wides well enough, you can put the strong in the box therefor man is the better coverage for stopping the run.

We can debate about how unrealistic the “if you have 2 man corners” statement is. I think the shut down corner has gone the way of the 340lb nose – long gone. You want to believe they still exist.

Regardless, that one scenario can not override that in general, zone coverages are better than man coverages at stopping the run. Find any player, coach, reporter or even commentor that disagrees.

Same thing with the 3-4 v 4-3 better against the run from before. You’re the only person ever who thinks the 3-4 is better against the run. So what I’ve always called the non Mike ILB in a 3-4 a Jack despite where the original Jack played 40 odd years ago when the 3-4 was invented. The Skins call him the Mo but a recent article called it Jack so I’m not the only one. Besides its semantics, just as in nickle (4-2-5) you want to call the edge rushers lineman because they line up on the LOS while I want to call them linebackers because the guys that line up there are linebackers.

Same challenge: find any player, coach, reporter or commentor that agrees that 3-4s are better suited to stopping the run than 4-3s.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Save yourself man! You are just completely clueless about this game. I even felt bad for you back then after you tried to back track on the Jack role. Apparently you had it in for me since then when
          I provided links to try and clear up your uninformed opinions. It doesn’t help your stance to deny the evidence.

The big nose tackle going away? You see that rend do you? Well tell that to Brandon Williams, Donta Poe, Linval Joseph, and Damon Harrison.

Look I know now you are here just to agitate me and your fond memory of the drumming you received the last time is proof of that. Seriously save your further comments for someone else.

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Sounds good to me. You can’t stay on topic. Nor defend a point with anything other than “I’m right, you’re wrong” so to recap:
          D won’t be improved b/c you say so
          Man > Zone against the run b/c you say so
          3-4 > 4-3 against the run b/c you say so
          You get lost in terminology = I back track
          Lastly, I those 4 guys 340lbs NT are going away b/c FB are extinct.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 4, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Hey @rtcwon, hey @redskinsname let’s knock off the pissing match. You’re both make your points. Thanks.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Most teams are built to pass. Few teams can win a game running the ball. The Redskins face some of those (Vikings, Panthers) but if I have to pick one side of the defense to be strong it’s the pass.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:00 AM

With the current safety situation, defending the pass won’t be as much improved as many believe.

A poor run defense will make an average run unit look elite. Running in the NFL still works the down the clock and makes red zone TDs easier. Teams won’t have to win by just running the ball on the defense. It just needs to be enough to make a difference in the win column.

• bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM

“Obviously, if running is working, they can simply run all day and end up with a win.”

Way too simplistic without stating the obvious. The opponent would also have to have a defense that stops the Redskins. This isn’t the 2013 Redskins. The team is built to score and built to score quickly if needed. Furthermore, running the ball at 5 yard chunks doesn’t score much points. The Redskin’s defense was #1 in short-yardage runs last year which would then force teams to kick for FGs instead of scoring TDs. Let them try to run and sling the snot out of the ball.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Built to score quickly if needed?

Well that wasn’t evident much last season and needs to be demonstrated this season.

• bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Sure it was. Give up a stupid TD to Dallas at home and answer right away with a bomb to Jackson.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM

That was against Dallas and is one example. Their were some shining moments like against Tampa. However, the complete body of work in 2015 doesn’t indicate a quick striking offense.

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 10:36 PM

2015 Redskins offense had 16 scoring drives of two minutes or less.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM

This one deminsional stop the pass and the defense will be fine philosophy is a red herring to avoiding acknowledging the fact that it’s not okay to address the issues in stopping the run. The reality may well become the team is only marginally better defending the pass where better offensives will continue to have success moving the ball downfield. And running the ball five yards a chunk won’t score many points? Where was that argument when the team was doing close to the same passing?

• bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM

“This one deminsional stop the pass and the defense will be fine philosophy is a red herring to avoiding acknowledging the fact that it’s not okay to address the issues in stopping the run.”

JD, you’re arguing that because the team didn’t pay top money for a NT or use a top draft pick that it didn’t address stopping the run. There will be plenty of new faces to the defense so personnel was addressed. Moreover, perhaps the personnel didn’t fit the scheme. This fallacy of having to get big time talent in the middle to stop the run — a tactic that neither scores bunches of points or is used by most of the NFL — is the equivalent of worrying about wildfires when it rains everyday.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 4:29 PM

The anchor of every 3-4 defense has always been the NT. I was okay with passing on a NT in FA. However, I didn’t agree with picking Dotson over a player like Jarren Reed.

I hope I’m wrong because I buy the tickets and want to see a better team on the field this season. The guys running the team know far more than I do, but we all know not every direction a GM goes in the draft always turns out best for the team when they show up on the field. I think going first with a wide out was not the best choice at 21. However, we’ll see how that works out in a few years.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Yes Bang, I’m sure you’re right about the number of offenses that averaged over 4.5 yards per carry. However, the Redskins Defense was 31st in allowing 4.8 yards a carry while opponents offense averaged almost as may points scored last season as the Redskins offense produced.

My point is averaging 5 yards a carry will normally yields a lot more scores than you may think.

Look at what Carolina did after they had a 2 touchdown lead last season. The ran James Stewert all over that defense and coasted the rest of the game to an easy victory.

The Redskins could see many more of those games this season against better quality opponents if there no improvements in stopping the run.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Looking at last season where teams were successful at plus 5 yards a carry, those teams managed to collectively produce 379 points against our offensive output of 388. So I think that argument is far too simplistic since it fails to suggest such success running opens up the passing game and aside from keeping the offense off the field, wearing down the defense; none of that really matters in today’s game?

We can all reassess this notion if the team repeats it’s run defense performance and see what success is achieved in spite of it.

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Your poor grammar aside, I understand you feel only the passing D was addressed this off season & don’t buy the argument that a better pass D helps the run D. I’m not sure I buy that argument either. But in a passing league, I’ll take pass D improvement over run D improvement every day.

The coaches said the run woes were a result of poor fits and bad angles. So they feel they significantly improved the run game with Compton, Hall & Duke or Bruton over Robinson, Goldson & Robinson or warm body.

You should have seen the dramatic improvement with Compton. To me, the jury is still out on Hall at FS but he did say last year he only had time to learn coverage responsibilities & just this off season started learning his run fits. And you should know only a washed up Clark could possibly be worse than Goldson at free and Duke, Brutton or even the rookie will be better at strong than what happened last year. Add in the full expectation that Paea will be better and I don’t see your doom & gloom.

• bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:31 PM

There were only seven teams that averaged more than 4.5 yards a carry last year (none that averaged greater than 5). Of those seven, just the Chiefs and Seahawks scored more points than the Redskins last year — 10th in the league, btw.

The Redskins also were 6th in the league despite its woes running the ball and stopping the run.

• bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:33 PM

My bad. 6th in time of possession.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 4:18 PM

rtc, I don’t take time to edit most my post. This is a discussing forum on football not the English language. Anyone outside of Rich maker grammar points here is a mental midger with intellectual insecurity issues.

This is not about doom and gloom. Its about the topic of how much the defense improved. I look at the Safety and middle of the defense and expect not much improvement.

I actually agree it’s better to improve the pass defense and putting pressure on the QB. However the pass defense isn’t much improved when you consider the Satety situation.

You don’t like the opinion? I don’t care since I’m not sure I ever read a comment from you that impressed me.

Keep the grammar comments out of these discussions.

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM

The brain can typically auto correct typos and misspellings but your problem is making a point coherently.

Again, my point is the coaches feel the middle was improved. You don’t because you expect a big fatty at nose but the game has evolved beyond that. You don’t like the ILBs despite the dramatic improvement Compton provided. You don’t like the safeties despite Hall playing well & the lesser of Duke/Bruton being better than anything Dallas/NY/Philly can throw out at strong.

I’m not trying to impress you, merely correct you.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:26 PM

You can’t correct me because you are inferior to me in football knowledge. You and your novice notion that a zone coverage helps the defense run game better than man. You obiously don’t know what you are talking about but trying to impress as if you do.

Your information is useless; so step off tool and move on to trolling someone else with your ignorance.

• rtcwon - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Trolls resort to name calling when they can’t make or defend a point.

That’s all you got when there are plenty of holes in my “coaches said” argument?

I don’t care about being called names; I more concerned about your misknowledge going unchallenged.

2. colorofmyskinz - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:21 AM

Defense will be resoundingly better for many reasons. First off, the other key piece of data is that we were the worst in the NFL on yards allowed with first down runs. I think the number is close to 5.5 yards. That is a second level failure when runs get past the line. Then add the runs past 10 yards and you also have horrible third level tacklers. So it really comes down to our ability to open field tackle after runners get past the first level. So you have to look at the changes to the linebackers and safeties to determine if the proper adjustments were made to fix that open field tackling.

When you have 2 very reliable OLB on the field at all times that forces runs through the middle. With Gallette, Kerrigan, and Preston trio, there you have the first upgrade.

Then look at the enhancements in the middle, a complete offseason for Foster and Compton to gel, add the Riley rotation and now you have an upgrade in ILB. Add Garvin, Spaight, and Daniels as depth and wow.

Then look at safeties. We added Bruton, Inhenco is back healthy, which was the Bronco power pack, then add Hall 2 years removed from injury and a full year of development at safety conversion, then add Blackmon as depth with entire offseason conversion. Now add the wild card of Cravens, a open field tackling beast and you have a completely different force at safety. 300% better than last year at safety.

Then look at corner. 1000% better. Norman, Breeland, Duo and then Fuller addition. Now with Dunbar conversion development and Phillips in depth. Wow completely different.

So when it comes down to it, second and third level tacklers are completely different! We also having the benefit of knowing the pass game is shut down with bre and Norman forcing more predictable runs, now you have a backfield open field tackling machine. As see a complete upgrade!!

Now remove the need of the line to be so worried about letting runners go past the first level (knowing you have a second level safety net), they can be more focused on pass rush. So our line is lighter and faster on pass rush.

The entire defensive dynamic is completely different. We will be much better on defense. Not even comparable.

HTTR!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:34 AM

I think you overrate the OLBs in containing the run. Gillette has been somewhat of a liabilty there. These OLBs in 3-4 alignments are built to create pressure. Preston Smith could be the OLB to stop runs but that’s a big question mark right now with this being his second season. How did the team upgrade on ILB??? Gavin maybe one but Spaight is more likely a special team upgrade than at ILB. The guy was a OLB in college and he hasn’t logged any time on the field to even give him a wow a dept and that includes Daniels. ILB is a major question mark right now.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:40 AM

I didn’t even want to discuss the Safety situation. What you have there are career backups and aging cornerbacks trying to extend their careers. The theme of this defense this year is move guys around into other positions to see if holes can be plugged. To many moving parts to expect improvements if any on defense. The Safeties situation could be among the worst in the NFL

3. redskins12thman - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:24 AM

The Redskins were a “bend but not break” defense against average competition team but the Redskins could not hang with the better clubs they faced, losing by 14, 14, 17 and 28 points. The Redskins were not competitive in these matches, which was not a surprise to anyone, but these loses illustrate the next challenge areas for the team. The offense needs to be more balanced but it is the defense that needs to improve the most, in defending the run, in situations where the opponent goes into no huddle / no substitution mode, and, as noted, in giving up big plays.

4. John - Jul 3, 2016 at 7:57 AM

Despite adding Norman and a healthy return of Galette, nothing much has changed. Inacho has been banged up each of the last 2 years and he and Bruton are both liabilities in coverage.
    Compton and Foster played much of the 2nd half of last season, so we know what they can do. They are solid but not stars. The line is a big bunch of average. Trent Murphy may be bigger in photos but he needs to be “better”. Definitely not going to be a beast. It remains to be seen how he’ll play. Having a lot of enthusiasm does not make the talent any better.

5. pillenwerfers - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Just watching a replay of the past season football game between Temple and Notre Dame. Matt Ioannidis is getting dominated by the big ND offensive linemen.

• John - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Perhaps by not being expected to play on the nose full time he won’t be dominated. That and coaching at the pro level to improve hand placement, leverage, etc. If they play 60 snaps on defense and they only use a nose 15% of the time, thats 9 snaps and he might be in for 4. Not a big deal.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM

He shouldn’t be expected to play NT in a 3-4 at all. He’s a 3-4 DE. I don’t expect him actually playing NT on the field.

• John - Jul 5, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Have you read the NFL.com 2016 draft profile for him?

Can match power with just about anyone on the field and carries no bad weight in his frame. Grows roots and refuses to budge against many double teams he faced. Hard to run at his gap. Muscle shark who never shrinks in the face of physicality or doing the the dirty work that needs to get done. With power and toughness to spare, he is at his best as a block eating two-gap player who can anchor against the run and who can generate decent push in the pocket when called on as a pass rusher. Has the looks of a starter in a 3-4 defense and a rotational tackle in a 4-3.

6. Skin fan since 74 - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Two years ago we had one of the worst offensive lines in football not any more. Last year our sencondary was one the worst in football, not any more. We drafted a linebacker, last year that is a playmaker, we drafted a CB, a lb- safety to help with the pass.
    Our defense will be better not a lot, but next year look out. We were the laughing stock of our division, old with no speed. We are getting better, one more great draft and we will own our division. I hope Cousins keeps getting better, proud to have football people running the show for a change.

7. smotion55 - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:25 AM

The defense being in 2nd year of Barry’s system will be the biggest difference after Norman and Galette. These 2 guys improve Pass rush and Secondary Big Time. The D-Line should be better just with Paea coming back healthy and now understanding the system. Golston is fine at Nose considering the amount of plays they will need a Nose Tackle and by mid season Ioannidis should have caught up with these guys.. If the D-Line wasn’t so deep in the draft he would have gone in the 3rd round.. He is big, smart and nasty. My sleeper is Corey Crawford, practice squad last year he might just surprise everybody.
    Hatcher was good only when healthy and that was not very often and Pot Roast was not good at all. With Preston Smith being in his second year he will be better also. Murphy tries hard but not really looking for him to do much IF he even makes the team.
    With Spaight, Cravens and the rookie Daniels who can really tackle we will be deep in the middle and better on special teams also. Compton emerging as a starter should help as will Foster and Hall in there 2nd year as starters. The total defense should be ranked between 10 to 15 by years end , the sacks,interceptions and total turnovers should go up also.. More talent to compete at all positions should make it a very positive year on defense.
    The only bad thing is the injury to Jarrett last year and how he might be done . Sad reality of football, sure hope for the best for him, he was a great success story. Underdog making it, just like Will Compton story, got to love that.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM

If teams know the weakness of this defense is stopping the run then NT may be needed much more than suggested. The main reason NT wasn’t used more by this team last season was due to the poor to subpar play in that position. It the team had an viable NT then he’d been on the field more.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:55 AM

What do you mean Loanitis is big? He’s 20 pounds under the normal weight of a true NT. Maybe he can add the weight by next season but he is a rookie and will add little to no value to that position this season. I love how so many have bought into this ruse that a DE can be a good to great NT. Just because you have a one gap NT doesn’t mean it can play that position at 300. The best NTs are 320 and over.

• John - Jul 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM

Being that they would rotate Golston and Lionitis, etc., at nose, for the few times he might be in there, I doubt his weight or lack there of will be an issue. In any case there have been nose tackles in the past ex: Henry Thomas withe the Vikings who have excelled at the position. Pot Roast was a big boy who underperformed and was rolled out of here.

8. blazerguy234 - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Fortunately there are not a lot of game breaking running backs in the league. Baring injuries, they should be clearly better on defense..overall. The offense will be even better in spite of the lack of a run game last year. Scoring more points can take away the other teams run game. Pot Roast was not really effective last year as a nose guy…PLUS they are only in the base 3-4 like 25% of the time.
    It is a passing league, and it is hard to argue against the Skins ability to utilize the pass offense. They need to run just enough to keep opponents off guard. Granted, Brady is a first ballet hall of famer..but he hasn`t needed much of a run game to succeed. Not comparing Tom to Kirk..just that the run game is not vital. They won 9 games last year without much of one.

9. murphsman - Jul 3, 2016 at 11:00 AM

I thought Powe was a NT. Granted, I’m not sure he’ll make the roster, but you said we don’t have a replacement, but isn’t Powe one at the moment

10. Prospero - Jul 3, 2016 at 1:47 PM

There sure is a lot of wishful thinking and revisionist history going on here. Pot Roast was not very good (for whatever reason) but I remember reading that the defence gave up fewer yards per run with him in the game. Most of the long runs I saw involved the running back heading toward the middle and making a sudden cut to the outside, usually the strong side and outrunning the edge defenders. I hope the defence has improved against the run but that’s all it is.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM

OK, so what history was revised here?

• bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:35 PM

The historic spelling of defense, perhaps.

11. wncskinsfan - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:01 PM

There will be some improvement in the D, but I do not expect a landslide in either direction. Barring injury, pass D will improve the most, we might see some improvement on the run. Then it will be the usual calls for Joe Berrys head. I am curious to see how he uses the pieces that he has. I can not agree with Rich more, we are still a draft or two away from owning the East, I think Scot knows this. I do really like the emphasis on turn overs, hopefully we will get more points from those next season. And hopefully the system will be better suited for the no huddle. We are knee deep in a rebuild, this is going to take another season or two to really come together. Again, not expecting miracles . . but at least the games are interesting to watch. HTTR

12. bangkokben - Jul 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Happy 4th on the 3rd!

13. Steven - Jul 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM

I believe the redskins offense will be one of the more explosive units in the league which will help the run defense tremendously because teams playing from behind don’t have the luxury of running the ball

14. John Motte - Jul 3, 2016 at 9:00 PM

I believe, like Cooley, the Redskins will win at least 11 games. Cousins will prove to be an excellent leader surrounded by unbelievable talent. Reed and all the other receivers will be the best group in the NFL. The Redskins have a great group of tight ends that will end up being superior to all other teams. The defense will show up and help the offense to become elite. Baker will handle the middle, Kerrigan will be an all star and the dbs will be an excellent unit. Hail to the Redskins. I will be 69 soon and I’ve always rooted for the Skins and I need one more Super Bowl so I can die happy.