Jun 25, 2016, 6:10 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, June 25, 33 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 167 days ago. It will be 79 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Franchise tag contract deadline 20; Preseason opener @ Falcons 47; Final roster cut 70
Five of the most popular posts from the Redskins week that was
Redskins roster projection, offense (and defense)—While the core of the roster is set, there are still up to a dozen spots up for grabs. A few more might emerge if injuries hit and then there is competition to get one of the 10 practice squad jobs. There are now four spots that can go to players with more than two accrued seasons (there were two last year) so all but a handful of players who are likely to be released will be eligible.
New photos reportedly show ‘Skins’ Thanksgiving unis—I’m not big into uniforms but I know that a lot of you are. It looks like Thanksgiving will feature five teams wearing uniforms that don’t look like what they usually wear and then the Redskins in familiar garb.
‘Skins assistant on Cousins: ‘He’s not going to hold back’—The highlight of the offseason practices that the media could watch was when Kirk Cousins completed a long pass and then turned to look at us along the sideline yelling, “Celebrate! You love that!” It was a bit hokey but it was Cousins showing that it’s now his team. It already was by December of last year but he clearly has put his stamp on the 2016 Redskins.
Can Cousins be ‘better than any young QB’?—An NFL assistant coach said that he thinks that it’s possible that when we look back in 10 years we’ll view Cousins as a more productive, more successful player than even Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. I’m not sure that will end up being the case but I’m not going to reject it out of hand. If he does end up doing it that would mean he would have some comeback playoff wins, a couple of Super Bowl trips, and a lot of division titles. It would be a fun ride.
NTK: Five Redskins with a lot at stake in 2016—All NFL players are under pressure but some are under more than others. These five players not only carry a lot of responsibility for the success of the 2016 Redskins on their backs but they also have some personal pressure stemming from pending contract situations.
In case you missed it
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- NTK: Top 5 receivers on Redskins’ schedule
- After OTAs, which Redskins’ corners are likely to make the cut?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring