Jun 21, 2016, 8:43 AM EDT
The Redskins currently have 89 players on their roster. Between now and September 3 they will cut that down to 53 players.
Here are my projections of who will end up on the roster on defense when the dust settles and that roster is turned in. Yesterday I did the offensive projection.
Starters in bold.
Defensive line (6): Chris Baker, Matt Ioannidis, Stephan Paea, Trent Murphy, Ricky Jean Francois, Kendall Reyes
As one would expect during practices without pads, not much was sorted out here during OTAs and minicamp. I can’t rule out Kedric Golston and/or Ziggy Hood making the roster but I’m not sure if there is a spot for either of them.
Outside linebacker (4): Ryan Kerrigan, Junior Galette, Preston Smith, Houston Bates
I’m giving Bates the inside track to the fourth spot for now due to his experience but I wouldn’t count out Lyndon Trail, who has size and athletic ability but needs some polish.
Inside linebacker (5): Mason Foster, Will Compton, Perry Riley, Martrell Spaight, Terrance Garvin
Riley missed the offseason program with his foot in a boot, still recovering from the broken bone that ended his season early last year. That gives Foster in the inside track on the starting job for now, although Riley still has a shot. It’s possible that if Riley doesn’t start his $5 million cap number will send him to the waiver wire and rookie Steven Daniels will make the 53 and not the practice squad.
Cornerback (5): Josh Norman, Bashaud Breeland, Kendall Fuller, Quinton Dunbar, Dashaun Phillips
There will be a numbers crunch here. They may want to keep Greg Toler, and Lloyd Carrington but they just don’t have roster spots for them.
Safety (5): DeAngelo Hall, David Bruton, Su’a Cravens, Will Blackmon, Duke Ihenacho
I’m not sure if you should count Cravens as a safety but he has to go somewhere as he plays all over the defense. It’s hard to see Kyshoen Jarrett playing this year but he is still visiting specialists and we will find out more when training camp starts.
LS Nick Sundberg, P Tress Way, PK Dustin Hopkins
It doesn’t appear that the Redskins will be bringing in even token competition for any of these three.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line
- With injuries at cornerback, Fuller is the next man up for the Redskins
- Will DeAngelo Hall return to the Redskins in 2017?
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?
- Need to Know: Redskins 29, Giants 27 by the numbers
- MRI reveals Redskins' DeAngelo Hall has completely torn ACL
- Su'a Cravens channels Chappelle Show in perfect postgame tweet after Redskins win
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed