Jun 20, 2016, 8:42 AM EDT
The Redskins currently have 89 players on their roster. Between now and September 3 they will cut that down to 53 players.
Here are my projections of who will end up on the roster on offense when the dust settles and that roster is turned in. Today we’ll look at the offense and here is the defense.
Starters in bold.
Quarterback (3): Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy, Nate Sudfeld
Will the Redskins risk trying to sneak Sudfeld onto the practice squad? Even though he was up and down during offseason workouts the value of the position could prompt another team to claim him if the Redskins try to sneak him through waivers. I’d say there’s an 80 percent chance he’s on the 53.
Offensive line (9): Trent Williams, Spencer Long, Kory Lichtensteiger, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Shawn Lauvao, Arie Kouandjio, Takoby Cofield
After minicamp I have to put Lauvao squarely on the bubble. His various injuries to his lower extremities that still have him sidelined and/or his $5 million cap number make him. If he doesn’t make it that would put either Josh LeRibeus or Austin Reiter in position to make the team.
Wide receiver (6): Pierre Garçon, DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder (slot), Josh Doctson, Ryan Grant, Rashad Ross
No matter what some might think, Grant is nowhere near the bubble; he is a lock to make it. Ross probably is too unless they find an alternative at kickoff returner.
Tight end (4): Jordan Reed, Niles Paul, Vernon Davis, Logan Paulsen
Paulsen is on the bubble but the fact that he’s the only true blocking tight end on the roster will keep him on the good side of it.
Running back (3): Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, Keith Marshall
There has to be a name in the third spot so I’ll take Marshall, even though he had trouble staying on the field during OTAs and minicamp and could be headed for the practice squad. Rookie free agent Robert Kelly actually looked better on the field but it’s hard to get too excited about him before seeing him in pads.
Follow Us On Twitter
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown