Jun 18, 2016, 5:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, June 18, 40 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 160 days ago. It will be 86 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 40; Preseason opener @ Falcons 54; Final roster cut 77
Hot topics from the Redskins week that was
Five under the radar Redskins to watch—Articles about obscure players who have a shot at making it generally draw a lot of attention. I guess fans like to root for the underdog and learn something about the lesser-known players. Out of the five I listed, I think that Dashaun Phillips has the best chance of playing a role this year without having someone else get injured.
Redskins right side is set, for a change—Even in the offseason work a year ago the right side of the Redskins’ O-line was somewhat up in the air. Spencer Long was a question mark after seeing no action in his first season and not everyone was sure if top draft pick Brandon Scherff was suited to play tackle in the NFL. Now the massive Morgan Moses is a very promising right tackle and Scherff seems to be a can’t-miss star at guard.
Gruden has high hopes for Grant after ‘great’ OTAs—The first thing that stuck in my head about Ryan Grant came during a practice during the last week of the lost 2014 season. He was practicing as though they were getting ready to play in the Super Bowl, focused, intense, and making sure that every route was run just right. I think that if fans could see this side of him he would be much more of a fan favorite than he is now.
How many new starters for the Redskins?—There’s a lot more starter turnover than you might anticipate on a 9-7 division champ. But 75 percent of the change is on defense and that unit certainly needed a boost.
Cousins: ‘I haven’t plateaued—and that’s exciting’—Kirk Cousins seems to have a pretty good handle on his own abilities. In spite of the fact that he was pretty successful last year he realizes that he has a lot to work on to get to where he needs to be.
In case you missed it
- Gruden, Norman both praise Dunbar’s work
- The problem with Josh Norman’s new nickname
- Reed in lead? Paul, Davis want to compete
- Should the Redskins go for two more often?
- NTK: Galette says Redskins’ DBs will make him better than ever
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain