Jun 16, 2016, 5:15 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, June 16, 42 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 158 days ago. It will be 88 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 42; Preseason opener @ Falcons 56; Final roster cut 79
Redskins will take a break
The Redskins finished up the on-field portion of their 2016 offseason preparations. They will not take the field again until they start training camp on July 28.
The players will have some time off but they will have things to do over the next six weeks. The assignments are made by strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark.
“The players will have a set of instructions or what have you from Coach Clark,” said Jay Gruden. “[That] is the big one – conditioning, the test they have to prepare for.”
How about the coaches?
“It’s a time off for coaches,” said Gruden. “It’s the benefit of being an NFL coach—you’ve got this month here where you can take off.”
One employee of the Redskins organization who will not be taking off for six weeks is VP of football administration Eric Schaffer. He will be at Redskins Park as the July 15 deadline for getting Kirk Cousins signed to a long-term deal approaches. Schaffer will field phone calls from Mike McCartney, who is Cousins’ agent, and work the nuts and bolts of the deal.
Others who will be working over the break include me, Tarik El-Bashir, and the other Redskins writers here and on CSNmidatlantic.com. We’ll still be writing multiple posts seven days a week. We’ll follow the Cousins negotiations, break down the roster position by position, keep you up to speed on the NFC East and the other teams on the Redskins’ schedule, preview training camp, and get you ready for the 2016 season, which is just 88 days away.
See you tomorrow.
In case you missed it
- Redskins wrap up minicamp
- Redskins Fast Five: D has the edge
- Cousins willing to keep the tag, at least for now
- Redskins’ Gruden says Paul has had an ‘unbelievable’ rehab
- Gruden says Redskins off to a ‘great’ start in ’16
- Gruden says Jarrett’s status remains unchanged
- 2016 Redskins have a loud and proud defense
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions