Jun 16, 2016, 12:18 PM EDT
Kirk Cousins has had a good nine-plus months. Since the end of August, when he was named the Redskins starting quarterback, he has set several team records, led his team to a division title, gone viral with his “You like that!” outburst after leading the biggest comeback victory in team history and signed a contract that guarantees him a $19.95 million salary for 2016.
But during that time span did he somehow go from being a backup with an uncertain future do being the best young quarterback in the game? This is what an assistant coach who spoke to Mike Freeman of the Bleacher Report said about it:
“It’s possible we will look back maybe 10 years from now and say Kirk Cousins was better than Andrew Luck or almost any other young quarterback today. Maybe better than Russell Wilson, as well. I would have never thought that a year ago—mainly because I feel like a good quarterback there didn’t have the organizational support. That owner [is not good], but now he seems to be staying out of the way. His coach believes in him, and that offense is perfect for him. He’s got weapons and an improving defense. He may shock a lot of people in the end.”
Freeman said that “other assistant coaches” have told him the same thing.
What should be made clear here is that the assistant coach is projecting. He’s not saying that Cousins is better than Wilson, who has a Super Bowl ring, and Luck, who has led his team to a conference title game, right now. He’s saying that Cousins has the weapons, the coach, and the organization needed to start on a highly successful run that would vault him past Wilson, Luck and, presumable, Derek Carr, Cam Newton, and other quarterbacks under the age of 30.
While I’m skeptical that in 2026 we will look back at the previous decade and view Cousins as the top QB in that time span I can’t rule it out, either. I mean, four years ago if you would have said that Wilson would have multiple Super Bowl appearances and Robert Griffin III would be battling for the job in Cleveland after having been cut loose by the Redskins I would have said you were crazy.
We will see how it all unfolds.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation