Jun 15, 2016, 5:16 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, June 15, 43 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—Today at Redskins Park: Minicamp practice 11:30; Players and offensive assistant coaches available coming off of the field, approx. 1:30; Jay Gruden news conference (streamed live on CSNmidatlantic.com) approx. 2:00
—The Redskins last played a game 157 days ago. It will be 89 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 43; Preseason opener @ Falcons 57; Final roster cut 80
Hot topics from Redskins minicamp
—Will Compton is developing a great reputation as a leader. Even the leader on the other side of the ball, the quarterback, recognizes it. “Will’s a great leader; I think he does a really good job of getting the other 10 guys on the field to play better when he’s in there,” said Kirk Cousins when asked about the third-year linebacker. “I think that’s the sign of a good player and it’s hard to account for, it’s hard to measure. When a guy steps in a huddle, 10 other guys play at a higher level because he’s in there.”
—Niles Paul made an amazing recovery from an ankle injury that his doctor said was one of the worst he’s ever seen. The injury happened in the first week of the preseason in Cleveland and rehab was supposed to take nearly a year. But 10 months later he’s back in what appears to be full action. He had to persuade Gruden to let him on the field for the preseason program. “He’s done an unbelievable job in rehab to get himself to this point . . . He was in my office all the time saying he was ready to go,” said Gruden. Finally I gave in and said, ‘Go practice!’”
—Don’t sleep on the possibility that Kendall Reyes, signed as a lower mid tier free agent, will end up starting at right defensive end. He has been getting a lot of run there with the first team through OTAs and during yesterday’s first day of minicamp. It’s hard to tell how effective he might be with pads on but he will get a shot when the get to Richmond.
—Take a look at this catch by rookie free agent cornerback Lloyd Carrington. A great, athletic play.
In case you missed it
- Reed, Doctson are spectators on Day 1 of Redskins minicamp
- Redskins practice report: A lively session
- Redskins Fast Five: Plenty of friendly trash talk
- Cousins says he’s not a trash talker, but it sounds like it
- Five backups who could start games for the Redskins in 2016
- Cowboys’ McFadden breaks elbow, what does it mean for Morris?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins survive behind makeshift offensive line
- Redskins win, but await status of multiple injured players
- Five things we learned from the Redskins win over the Giants
- Report: Redskins' DeAngelo Hall was told he'd torn ACL, MRI scheduled
- Redskins get first win, capitalize on turnovers to edge Giants 29-27
- Odell Beckham Jr. fights kicking net, loses
- Injuries to Lauvao, Lichtensteiger force strange shift on Redskins offensive line
- DeAngelo Hall out after being helped off the field with knee injury
- Josh Norman lifts and carries Odell Beckham in the endzone
- Breeland out after suffering early ankle injury