Jun 13, 2016, 4:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, June 13, 45 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 155 days ago. It will be 91 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 45; Preseason opener @ Falcons 59; Final roster cut 82
—Is Matt Jones’ fumbling issue overblown? Jones lost four fumbles in his first 104 touches of the season. He didn’t lose any in his final 65 touches. It is best to proceed as though the problem has not been solved but the good finish to the season is perhaps a sign for optimism.
—Tress Way’s numbers were off a bit last year. He went from averaging 47.5 yards per punt in 2014 to 46.1 last year. His net average dropped from 40.0 to 39.8. It’s not particularly alarming and perhaps it’s due to him placing his punts better to prevent big returns. Opponent punt return yards did drop from 397 in 2014 to 258 last year.
—I’m not sure what to think of Logan Paulsen’s prospects this year. Before he got injured last year I was hearing that he was on his way out. I wasn’t the only one surprised when he was re-signed. For right now he could end up making the roster as the fourth tight end, although that may depend on whether or not Derek Carrier has recovered from his knee injury.
—Trent Murphy is listed at 290 now and that appears to be pretty close to reality. I don’t see how he is going to be able to put on enough additional weight to get into the 310-320 range that is the ideal for a 3-4 defensive end. I would look for him to play almost exclusively in nickel situations as a 4-3 end.
—The starter at right end in the base 3-4 defense has yet to be determined and it probably won’t be until well into training camp. I would not bet against Ricky Jean Francois claiming the job. He seemed to make a play every time he was in there last year.
In case you missed it
- Cousins: ‘I haven’t plateaued—and that’s exciting’
- What is the 2016 Redskins’ expectation for wins?
- Redskins have stability at QB for a change
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Browns Preview: 5 things to know as Washington looks to get even
- Enemy Intel: Tandler looks around the NFL—What's up with Dez?
- More talk of Redskins OC Sean McVay as head coach - but this time on college level
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure to perform against the Browns
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith