Jun 10, 2016, 11:51 AM EDT
Here is a look at the Redskins’ depth chart on offense as they get set for minicamp next week. Here is my analysis of the defense from yesterday.
*Denotes a player who is injured
Starter: Kirk Cousins
Backups: Colt McCoy, Nate Sudfeld
Sudfeld has looked good in OTAs and if that carries over to training camp and preseason games it might be hard to get him through waivers and onto the practice squad. Based on the very early returns the 53-man roster looks like his likely spot when final cuts are made.
Starters: Trent Williams, Morgan Moses
Reserves: Ty Nsekhe, Takoby Cofield, Al Bond, Kevin Bowen
When Williams missed the OTA on Wednesday it was Nsekhe who lined up with the first team at left tackle. It’s going to be tough for anyone else to break through, although it should be noted that a year go there didn’t appear to be much of a chance that Nsekhe would make the team.
Starters: Spencer Long, Brandon Scherff
Reserves: Arie Kouandjio, Shawn Lauvao*, Cody Booth, Nila Kasitati
Can Arie Kouandjio push Long and, when he gets healthy, Lauvao for the starting job at left guard? Right now that appears to be a two-man competition but Kouandjio will get his chance to make his case when they put the pads on in Richmond.
Starter: Kory Lichtensteiger
Reserves: Josh LeRibeus, Austin Reiter
The Redskins likely will go into the season with Lichtensteiger as the starter here but they want to be better prepared for an injury than they were last year when he was lost for 11 games. Long has been working at center along with LeRibeus and Reiter.
Tight end (6)
Starter: Jordan Reed
Reserves: Vernon Davis, Niles Paul, Logan Paulsen, Derek Carrier*, Marcel Jensen
This group could be a major strength but there are reasons to be wary due to injury histories and Davis’ low productivity the last two seasons.
Starters: Pierre Garçon, DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder (slot)
Reserves: Josh Doctson, Ryan Grant, Rashad Ross, Reggie Diggs, Maurice Harris, Valdez Showers, Jarvis Turner
It looks like Diggs, Harris, Showers, and Turner are all fighting for practice squad spots.
Running back (7)
Starter: Matt Jones
Reserves: Keith Marshall, Chris Thompson, Mack Brown, Robert Kelly, Ryan Kerridge, Kelsey Young
It remains to be seen if Marshall can be Jones’ tag team partner in the Redskins’ running back committee. It would not be surprising to see a veteran like Pierre Thomas brought in to help prop things up. If not, Brown, who was on and off of the Redskins’ practice squad last year, or one of the undrafted rookies might have a shot at the 53.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries