Jun 9, 2016, 11:37 AM EDT
Here is a look at the Redskins’ depth chart on defense as they get set for minicamp next week. We’ll look at the offense tomorrow.
*Denotes injured player
Defensive line (11)
Starter: Kedric Golston (NT), Chris Baker, Stephen Paea
Backups: Kendall Reyes, Ricky Jean Francois, Trent Murphy, Matt Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood, Cory Crawford, Jerrell Powe, Anthony Lanier
This depth chart is very fluid; it seems that almost every player with the possible exception of Lanier has a shot at making the roster and playing some snaps. One of the issues that will be if they keep seven at this position
Outside linebacker (7)
Starters: Ryan Kerrigan, Junior Galette
Reserves: Preston Smith, Houston Bates, Willie Jefferson, Lyndon Trail
Depth after the top three is problematic, especially given Galette’s status coming off of his Achilles injuries.
Inside linebacker (10)
Starters: Will Compton, Mason Foster
Reserves: Perry Riley, Adam Hayward, Martrell Spaight, Terrance Garvin, Steven Daniels, Carlos Fields, Ejiro Ederaine, Mike Wakefield
Rookie Su’a Cravens could be listed here but he’s in with the safeties. Hayward, Spaight, Garvin, and Daniels could be fighting for one or two roster spots.
Starters: Josh Norman, Bashaud Breeland
Reserves: Kendall Fuller, Quinton Dunbar, Greg Toler, Jeremy Harris, Dashaun Phillips, Lloyd Carrington, Mariel Cooper
With the Redskins likely to keep only four or five players here, there will be some interesting choices to be made from the veteran Toler and younger players like Harris, Phillips, and Carrington.
Starters: DeAngelo Hall, Duke Ihenacho
Reserves: David Bruton, Will Blackmon, Su’a Cravens, Deshazor Everett, Kyshoen Jarrett*, Geno Matias-Smith
Well, you can’t accuse the organization of recycling old safeties from around the league this year. Ihenacho has one season as a full-time starting safety on his resume; the rest of the players on the depth chart have none. There will be plenty of competition to see who makes it and how the depth chart shapes up.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries