Jun 9, 2016, 4:53 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, June 9, 49 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 151 days ago. It will be 95 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 49; Preseason opener @ Falcons 63; Final roster cut to 53, 86
Cousins’ confidence growing
It’s generally a mistake to read too much into performances that take place in shorts and football helmets. For one thing, not everyone participates and players are often going up against reserves and others who just hope to make the roster so they can be reserves. Also, contact is such an important part of the game that any drills that take place without it are difficult to evaluate.
With that said, it’s hard not to notice that Kirk Cousins has looked very, very good in OTAs so far. He looked particularly good on Wednesday as he made quick decisions and zipped the ball to receivers with touch and authority.
“He’s obviously playing with a lot of confidence, having a lot of fun,” said Jay Gruden after the OTA on Wednesday. “He’s got great command of the offense, that’s the one thing that you notice. He’s got great command over the formations. He’s got great command on the snap count, and that’s something he didn’t so much have the first year I was here and even last year in this time of year.”
It’s not a coincidence that in his fifth NFL season Cousins suddenly has great command. This is his first offseason as the starter and he is showing that he intends to take advantage of the opportunity.
Gruden does not intend to make things easy for Cousins.
“I’m trying to challenge him situationally,” said Gruden “Backed up, red zone, third down, fourth down, two-point plays, all of it and trying to see how he handles them. Offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators, offensive line, everybody, not just the quarterbacks. We’re trying to challenge him and push the envelope a little bit and get as many situational problems as we can, get them on tape and see how they react and coach and correct off of it. He’s much more comfortable in all of them.”
So far, he has met the challenge. But, again, his success has to be evaluated considering that they are not wearing pads. While it would be great to have an answer about how Cousins will perform in 2016 right now we are going to have to wait.
In case you missed it
- Doctson on Achilles’ injury: ‘We’re just being patient’
- Gruden on DJac: ‘Looked as fast as he’s ever been’
- OTA report: Cousins sharp
- Fast five: Redskins missing some pieces
- Blackmon happy with his progress in position switch
- How many catches for Redskins WR Crowder in 2016?
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently