Jun 8, 2016, 5:33 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, June 8, 50 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp in Richmond.
—The Redskins last played a game 150 days ago. It will be 96 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 50; Preseason opener @ Falcons 64; Final roster cut to 53, 87
Player quick hits
Here are some more quick thoughts on some Redskins players based on what I’ve heard and what I’ve seen in OTAs and rookie camp.
—I wonder if Jamison Crowder will catch as many as 59 passes again this year. The Redskins attempted 555 passes last year and while they may throw a few dozen more this year there also are additional potential targets in Josh Doctson and Vernon Davis and, presumably, DeSean Jackson will have more thrown his way if he stays healthy all year.
—I don’t know whether or not Kirk Cousins will end up signing a contract extension prior to July 15 but I am pretty confident that there are no active negotiations (defined as both sides exchanging proposals and moving towards a resultion) taking place. There is simply no reason for either side to give anything right now.
—I see Su’a Cravens taking the roster spot that was used for a defense lineman last year. They carried seven DL last year and considering that only three line up at a time that always seemed to be excessive. He’ll take a DL spot but will actually be a sixth inside linebacker and/or a fifth safety.
—Shawn Lauvao sure is receiving a ton of praise for playing OK (run blocking adequate, gave up a sack and five hurries) in a very small sample size of two games last year. A lot of people assume that when he is healthy, which reportedly will be for the start of training camp, the left guard spot is his to lose. I disagree, I believe that Lauvao will have to clearly beat out Spencer Long to get the starting job.
—Preston Smith won’t have a sophomore slump if only because his rookie year wasn’t that spectacular, for the most part. He finished strong and it looks like he has what it takes in terms of work ethic to keep it up. I think you can take double digit sacks for Smith this year to the bank.
Stat of the day
How pass happy were the 2015 Redskins? They passed an average of 34.7 times per game. Nineteen other teams took to the air more frequently.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley