May 24, 2016, 11:57 AM EDT
Yesterday we looked at the roster locks and came up with 42 players who are virtually assured of being on the 53-man roster when the season starts. That means that 11 jobs are up for grabs and there are a lot of player scrambling for those spots. Which players appear to have realistic shots at those jobs as OTAs start up today? Let’s take a look.
Offense (11): QB Nate Sudfeld, RBs Keith Marshall, Mack Brown, TEs Logan Paulsen and Derek Carrier, WR Rashad Ross, OLs Shawn Lauvao, Josh LeRibeus, Austin Reiter, Ty Nsekhe, Takoby Cofield
It seems likely that Sudfeld will be on the 53 but they might try to sneak him onto the practice squad. The statuses of Carrier and Lauvao likely depend on how healthy they are when training camp starts.
Defense (11): DL’s Kedric Golston, Ziggy Hood, OLBs Houston Bates, Willie Jefferson, ILBs Adam Hayward, Martrell Spaight, Steven Daniels, Terence Garvin, CB’s Greg Toler, Lloyd Carrington, S Deshazor Everett
With 42 locks and 22 bubble players, that means that 26 players have a lot of work to do in order to make the 53-man roster and may need a few breaks to get into serious contention. But they are in an NFL camp and that means that have a shot, even though it maybe a slim one. They are better off than the thousands who are hanging on to hope that they can get an invitation to try out for a team.
And the long shot group has an example to look at. A year ago Ty Nsekhe was in the group that had a lot of work to do to get on the bubble. He did it and he made the 53, starting two games. So the odds are long but not prohibitive.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain