May 17, 2016, 5:10 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this
Monday Tuesday, May 17, seven days before the Washington Redskins start OTAs.
—The Redskins last played a game 128 days ago. It will be 118 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs start 7; Redskins training camp starts 72; Preseason opener @ Falcons 86
It takes some players a season or two to understand the level of work it takes to succeed in the NFL. A select few understand right off the bat; many more talented players never get it and either struggle to hang on or end up out of the league altogether.
Preston Smith didn’t get it during a good chunk of his rookie season. Joe Barry gave the team’s second-round pick a while to catch on but he finally had to pull him aside and talk to him.
“He had no clue what it took to be an NFL football player,” Barry said on Inside the Locker Room on ESPN 980. “You’ve got to tell guys. I sat him down and said, ‘If you want to play in this league, the way you’re preparing and the way you’re practicing, you’re not a bad kid, but you won’t last three years in his league if you continue to prepare and if you act the way you act.’”
It took more than one such sit down session for the bulb to go off but eventually it did for the rookie. He racked up six sacks in the Redskins’ last four games including one for a safety against the Packers in the playoff game.
Smith has continued to impress during the offseason. “Even three months [ago], he was here,” said Barry. “He was working, he was grinding, he changed his body, and he changed his mindset on the way he’s approaching everything.”
Scot McCloughan also praised Smith for his work this offseason, particularly in helping the rookie players who have arrived in the last few weeks pointed in the right direction.
It will be fun to see how Smith plays with a full offseason of quality work under his belt. It probably won’t be much fun for opposing quarterbacks.
In case you missed it
- McCloughan: Redskins ‘are going to figure it out’ with Cousins
- Long-term answers in place at tackle for Redskins
- Redskins Ioannidis: ‘I’m my own toughest critic’
- Redskins rookie camp roundup
- Redskins’ roster at 90 after moves
- Cousins talks latest on contract negotiations with Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions