May 14, 2016, 5:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, May 14, 10 days before the Redskins start OTAs.
—At Redskins Park: Rookie minicamp 12:45; media watches session, players available afterward, Jay Gruden press conference after players, approx. 3:00
—The Redskins last played a game 125 days ago. It will be 121 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs start 10; Redskins training camp starts 75; Preseason opener @ Falcons 90
Here is our weekly look at some of the most popular posts from the Redskins week that was here and CSNmidatlantic.com.
Redskins still have plenty of 2017 cap room—Panic over the team’s ability to pay Kirk Cousins set in when news of Jordan Reed’s extension piled on top of the big 2017 cap hit that Josh Norman’s deal carries. But they still have plenty of cap room to operate, hit the post for details.
Starting jobs up for grabs on Redskins’ D—As one commenter pointed out, there darn well should be jobs on the line when a team struggled against the run as much as this one did in 2015. OTAs and training camp should be interesting.
What are the Redskins’ most important remaining needs?—It looks like every need but one can probably be filled from within. Check out the post to see where the Redskins likely will need to get outside help.
Way too early roster projections (offense here, defense here)—These are more for fun than anything. But a set of projections I did at this time last year i got 42 of the 53 right and five of the misses were because the player was on injured reserve. So while there can be some surprises the cake is mostly baked.
Redskins depth chart: Stiff competition at ILB—The top three at this position appear to be set (and, yes, that group is likely to include Perry Riley). Behind them there are unproven players like Steven Daniels and Martrell Spaight, special teams specialist Terence Garvin, and veteran Adam Hayward. They will battle for the two, maybe three remaining spots.
In case you missed it
- Redskins depth chart preview: Any surprises at OLB?
- How many tight ends will the Redskins carry?
- Will the Redskins and Cousins get a deal done?
- ‘Skins bring in former Oregon QB for rookie camp
- McCoy says Matt Jones is ready to take over
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety
- Redskins' Cousins passing more often and more effectively on first down
- Number Crunch - Redskins offense looks poised for a breakout
- Center depth issues not new for Redskins - even with attempts to improve
- Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line