May 7, 2016, 5:58 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, May 7, six days before the Washington Redskins hold their rookie minicamp.
—The Redskins last played a game 118 days ago. It will be 128 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 6; OTAs start 17; Redskins training camp starts 83
Here are five of the most popular posts from the Redskins week that was.
Grading the Redskins’ draft—Just like mock drafts, fans love to say that they hate draft grades that come out soon after the draft. But just like the mocks, they read the grades. It’s one of the most popular posts of the month every year. I try to recognize here that this is more of an interim grade and not a final judgement on the Redskins’ performance last weekend.
The cap implications of the Redskins cutting Culliver—The Redskins haven’t done an advance June 1 release in quite some time so I walked the readers through the process. The important thing to remember is that the post-June 1 designation doesn’t “save” any money. Instead of taking the dead cap hit associated with cutting a player in the current year, part of the charge is moved to the following league year.
McCloughan may use extra 2017 picks this year—The Redskins’ GM wanted to come out of the draft with 12 picks but he made only seven. But he did make three deals that got the team picks in the 2017 draft. McCloughan says that the players acquired with those picks may be contributing this season.
Skins plan be careful with Fuller—Third-round pick Kendall Fuller needed microfracture surgery last fall. A full recovery is expected but the Redskins aren’t going to rush it. Quinton Dunbar can cover in the slot until Fuller is good to go.
Need to Know: Needs are low on McCloughan’s list of draft considerations—Many scoff at the suggestion that McCloughan doesn’t worry much about need when he is making draft picks. But here is some evidence that he does what he says he does.
In case you missed it
- Redskins still have plenty of 2017 cap room
- Redskins announce signing of 14 college free agents
- Redskins top NFLPA’s ‘Rising 50’
- Starting jobs up for grabs on Redskins’ D
- Redskins who may be next in line for new contracts
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring