Apr 29, 2016, 6:25 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, April 29, the day of the second and third rounds of the NFL Draft.
—At Redskins Park: Conference call with Redskins’ draft picks soon after each one has been made; Jay Gruden talks to the media after third round is over.
—The Redskins last played a game 110 days ago. It will be 136 days until they host the Steelers in their 2016 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 14; OTAs start 25; Redskins training camp starts 90
S Keanu Neal, Florida—Neal loves to hit and at 6-0, 211 he can pack quite a punch. He’s probably best at strong safety right now but he played some free at Florida and it looks like he could get the hang of it.
C Nick Martin, Notre Dame—He’s smart, technically sound, and built for power blocking. Not as strong or athletic as his brother Zack of the Cowboys but he comes at a third-round price. Maybe Martin isn’t a Week 1 starter at centerbut he could take over at some point during the season and by the start of 2017 for certain.
WR Mike Thomas, Ohio State—On Wednesday Urban Meyer called him “the most competitive player I’ve ever had.” Guess who loves competitive players? Scot McCloughan could be holding his breath hoping that Thomas falls to the Redskins in the second.
DL Vernon Butler, Louisiana Tech—At 323 pounds, he packs the most weight of any of the top 10 defensive line prospects. Like just about all of the other prospects who will be available he has some technique flaws that he needs to work on but he can be very helpful right away.
RB C. J. Prosise, Notre Dame—He’s not small, packing 220 pounds onto his 6-0 frame. Prosise is a former slot receiver and he shows good ability to catch the ball on the run. Friday may be too soon to take a running back but if the Redskins trade back and get multiple third-round picks the possibility increases.
RB Alex Collins, Arkansas—If you want more of a north-south runner than Collins is your guy. He runs with determination and power. He had 17 career 100-yard games and is one of three SEC backs to rush for 1,000 yards in three seasons.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions