Apr 14, 2016, 5:02 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, April 14, 14 days before the NFL Draft.
—The Redskins last played a game 95 days ago. It will be about 150 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins offseason workouts start 4; 2016 NFL draft 14; Redskins training camp starts 105
The Redskins seem to be in unfamiliar territory with a pick in the latter part of the first round and the numbers bear out the feeling. Since the 1970 merger they have only made first-round selections between picks 20 and 32 five times. They have done, well, you can judge for yourself.
1981—G Mark May (20th overall) An original Hog who was good enough to start in two Super Bowls. Among the original Gibbs O-line, he certainly ranked behind Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby and probably Jeff Bostic. He left following the 1989 season and finished his career with the Chargers and Cardinals.
1983—CB Darrell Green (32nd) Yeah, I think that Bobby Beathard scored a pretty good hit on this pick.
1996—OT Andre Johnson (30th) This is clearly one of the worst first-round picks in team history. Not only did Johnson never play a snap for the Redskins (he did play three games for the Lions in 1998), the Redskins traded up with the Cowboys to get him.
2002—QB Patrick Ramsey (32nd) I think he had the arm and the aptitude to be pretty good, but we’ll never know because Steve Spurrier wasn’t too good at drawing up pass protection schemes. Ramsey was shell-shocked after getting sacked 71 times in his first 29 starts in Washington. He was on the rosters of the Jets and Broncos after being traded after the 2005 season but he never started another game.
2005—QB Jason Campbell (25th) He was the starter for three and a half years and the only time the team made the playoffs during that time was when he suffered a knee injury late in the2007 season and Todd Collins came in and steered the Redskins to the postseason. It wasn’t all his fault but he never quite got over the hump to become a consistently effective quarterback.
Stat of the day
Bobby Beathard was the GM of the Redskins for 11 drafts (1978-1988). He only used three first-round draft picks. Two of them, Art Monk and Darrell Green, are in the Hall of Fame.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor