Mar 18, 2016, 5:27 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, March 18, 41 days before the NFL Draft.
How many 2016 starters are already on the roster?
I posted about the 2016 defense yesterday and one of the comments I got was that the unit is still a work in progress. While that is undeniably true with the draft still six weeks away, most of the starters are already on the team. Let’s take a look and see how many of the likely 2016 starters are currently under contract.
Line: Williams, Lauvao/Long, Center, Scherff, Moses
Receivers: Garçon, Jackson, Crowder, Reed
Backs: Cousins, Jones
Arie Kouandjio could be in the mix at left guard, too. But the likely starter is in the building. It’s a pretty good bet that Kory Lichtensteiger will start at center but there is enough doubt there to leave that position a question mark.
Perhaps Jones is not fully locked in at running back but unless they take a back during the first two days of the draft it seems likely that he will be given the first shot to be the “lead dog” in what is likely to be a running back by committee.
Line: Baker, Nose tackle, Right end
Linebacker: Galette/Smith, Kerrigan, Foster, Compton
Backfield: Breeland, Culliver/Blackmon, Hall, Ihenacho/Bruton
Stephen Paea is the favorite to start at right end but the draft may well bring a starter at nose tackle and one at right end. Perhaps a high draft pick at safety could work his way into the Week 1 starting lineup but I’ll go with this group for now.
So there is one position on offense where the likely starter may not yet be under contract and two on defense. Certainly depth matters and that is where the draft will come into play. Also, this may not be the lineup when December rolls around; there could be changes for reasons other than the inevitable injuries. But, for right now, the Week 1 staring lineup is a cake that is very close to being baked.
—The Redskins last played a game 68 days ago. It will be about 177 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins offseason workouts start 31; 2016 NFL draft 41; Redskins training camp starts 132
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain