Need to Know: Bad drafts lead to Redskins free agency needs

Mar 11, 2016, 5:11 AM EDT

Goldson-vs.-Bills

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, March 10, 49 days before the NFL Draft.

Five thoughts on free agency so far

—It seems that safety is emerging as a big area that needs to be addressed in some form during free agency. As usual. The name of the Bengals’ Reggie Nelson, who will be 33 in September, came up as a player the Redskins are interested in. Even though he had eight interceptions last year, at that age he is not the ideal solution. But until they can find solutions in the draft, something that seems to get harder and harder for everyone around the league to accomplish every year, they will have to do the best they can.

—They also could get Dashon Goldson back. There is no talk that there was any bitterness between the player and the team over negotiations to cut his pay from the $8 million his contract called for but that doesn’t mean that there weren’t some hard feelings about it. But it’s possible that Goldson will go out into the market, not find anything to his liking, and come back and sign with the Redskins. We saw this a few years ago with DeAngelo Hall. But Hall had longstanding ties to the Redskins whereas Goldson has been around for only a year. I’d say the odds are against it but we’ll see.

—The Redskins are going to have to fill a few more holes than just safety. And while getting several free agents may run counter to what Scot McCloughan preaches it’s necessary and here’s why. The 2011 and 2012 drafts should be forming the core of the team now. They should have several starters and a number of key contributors on the team working on their second contracts. But from 2011 they have Ryan Kerrigan and Niles Paul. From 2012 they have Kirk Cousins. That’s it. And they had a total of 21 picks in those two drafts. It’s no wonder that there are holes to fill.

—The Redskins may wait until the draft to acquire another running back. The supply has been diminished at top-shelf prices. The top available running back available, James Starks of the Packers, is ranked No. 49 on Rotoworld’s top 50 available free agents list. As I’ve said all along, I think that the plan is to go into the draft and try to pick up a running back on Friday night or sometime early on Saturday. If they can’t land one there—or maybe even if they can—they will look to the May free agent market where there will still be some quality players available for a fraction of the $6.5 million that Chris Ivory got from the Jaguars.

—This is looking way ahead but the Redskins could have two more spots on the 53-man roster up for grabs than they had last year. With Darrel Young gone they are unlikely to sign a fullback. And if they draft a quarterback in the sixth or seventh round or sign one as an undrafted free agent they might keep that player on the practice squad instead of the 53, clearing another spot. Probably one spot would be for an extra tailback so they would carry three or four. And one might go to a fourth tight end if they can find a blocking tight end. Again, just something to tuck away for training camp.

—The Redskins last played a game 61 days ago. It will be about 184 days until they play another one.

Days until: Redskins offseason workouts start 38; 2016 NFL draft 47; Redskins training camp starts 148

1. garg8050 - Mar 11, 2016 at 6:27 AM

Didn’t realize the 2011 and 2012 drafts turned out so bad…may have to take a small step back this year with hopes of rebuilding a core for sustained success. I’m glad the ‘Skins haven’t gone the patchwork route this far in free agency. That’s never worked for this franchise.

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 7:45 AM

2011 was the “let’s trade back and get more picks” draft strategy which didn’t work well in 2008 either. (Could’ve had JJ Watt and been the Texans.) But the main reason these drafts turned out so bad is that the guy picking them isn’t here anymore. Keenan Robinson and Alfred Morris are likely still Redskins and cogs if ol’ lobster face was still here. But does two more players make it that much better? No. They’re still inadequate drafts – just not on the level of SOOO BAAAD.

• scottmccloughanfan - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:34 AM

And that’s why he’s not…………here, or anywhere in the NFL at the moment.

Sooner or later, his arrogant brand of denial will win over some boob of an owner, and the NFL will once again be saddled with his particular brand of ineptitude.

Everyone now recognizes that JOHN ELWAY made coach great, not the other way around.

• berniebernard666 - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM

and John Elway is STILL going to the SB and STILL making coaches great.

• John - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM

A coach should not have the responsibility if drafting players. They can have input but clearly don’t have any time to scout or even watch the random college game. This is why Chip and Shanahan and even Parcells drafts were not that good.

• berniebernard666 - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:35 AM

lol…funny you should realize this. Taking a step back this year to reload next year. I have posted this for 3 straight days now on a bunch of sites. I have been all over this point. I study the Redskins like a college exam and it has been painfully obvious to me that Dallas is a better team because they have a better QB and a better WR and a better defensive Coordinator and a really good offensive line as well. Now the Giants have improved also, I look for the Skins to take that step back to 6-10 or therebouts.

I hope Scott M can nail the draft this year, and that Cousins works out, because it is the ONLY way to move forward in 2017 without Romo and Manning retiring. The ONLY way to win in this league is with a PRO BOWL QUARTERBACK or PRO BOWL DEFENSE and the Skins don’t have either.

• John - Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I don’t expect Romo to play a full season and Manning as good as he can be is not nearly as good as his brother.

Regarding our defense it should be better this coming season. Dallas’s defense is not all that, though I wish we had a Sean Lee. The Giants loaded up on D but their not headed to a Super Bowl.

Garrett and Romo trying to throw the ball 50 times a game will get Romo killed. If they run the ball like they did in 2014, they’ll be in much better shape.

That whole, a team has to have a Pro Bowl QB to win anything is crap. You don’t need Brady to win but it helps.

• Trey Gregory - Mar 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM

I fully expect Washington to take a step back too. A lot of us have been saying that for a while. But I mean that they will only technically take a step back, because they will probably lose more games. Not that the team will be worse. 6-10 was exactly what I told a friend earlier today.

2015 was fun. But we took advantage of a great situation. So it was a bit misleadind as to our progress. Dallas was easily the best team in the division until their injuries and the Eagles were pretty good if not for Chip’s dysfunction. We overachieved, and that’s made some fans lose sight of reality.

This team was downright awful in 2014. The roster was atrocious. Enter Scot McCloughan to execute a rebuild that will take 3-4 years. Last year was only year 1. These things take time. So I expect the team to continue to get better. I expect to continue to draft young talent and Cousins to continue to improve (although I’m sure he will take some lumps next year). The record is irrelevant until we’re truly ready to make a push. But I expect them to look better and more cohesive. If we lose, I expect us to start losing by narrower and narrower margins. Then, once Scot has 3-4 drafts under his belt, I expect us to truly start to compete. That’s how a rebuild works. I just hope fans and Snyder can stay patient in the meantime.

Just a side not though, I’m not so sure the Giants have improved. We need to see their draft first. I think we all know that those big free agents fail just as often as they succeed. I’m more concerned about Philly making some, seemingly, really smart moves by dumping those giant contracts and Dallas, seemingly, playing it smart and patient in FA.

• Skulb - Mar 13, 2016 at 1:13 AM

I’m sorry but it doesn’t matter how many times you repeat this. It’s much too early to tell either way, at least until the draft. You have absolutely no clue how the four NFC East teams will look come September and therefore absolutely nothing base your predictions on whatsoever. I swear I’m gonna start wasting my time by saving some of the utter nonsense that gets posted here so I can repost it for you when you’re proven wrong.

• Trey Gregory - Mar 13, 2016 at 4:16 AM

You’re right that it’s way too early to know. There’s still a ton of time in free agency, you never know how each team’s drafts will shake out, and you never know what kind of undrafted free agent gems will appear. Still, I’ve had the feeling even since last year that our record would be worse in 2016 just because I think we overachieved last year. That’s not me trying to make a prediction or say that’s what will absolutely happen. Just, after taking everything into account that we know right now, that’s the feeling I have.

Teams don’t usually win 9 games after being as bad as we were in 2013-2014. It usually takes more years to rebuild. Still, I think this team can be as good as they were last year. I’m just not sure the record will reflect that. You never know thought. Philly is obviously in a rebuild of their own and I could see some of NY’s moves blowing up in their face. I do, however, think Dallas is the team to beat as long as Romo is healthy.

It would be funny to keep track of some of the wild predictions made around here. Not just the casual comment but the overbearing, “MARK MY WORDS, THIS WILL HAPPEN,” type. It wasn’t here, but a month or so ago a couple people basically told me I was a moron when they said Galette would return for a veteran min contract again and I said he would want at least 5x that. We still don’t know how that will shake out, but I don’t think negotiations have stalled because he’s demanding $600,000 next year. Not that I’ve never been wrong, but come on.

• Skulb - Mar 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM

If you look back to last year a lot of people had the Dolphins automatically going to the playoffs after FA. Some people even thought that both the Eagles and the Cowboys were Superbowl caliber teams. Personally I was convinced that we could never finish with more than seven wins given how awful we had been the two previous seasons. So you just never know. The team might gel like it seemed to do in 15; Barry might keep getting production from no-names on defense and Cousins might easily improve significantly with a full offseason to prepare as a starter. Or it could go the other way.
          As far as I’m concerned the Patriots will be good and the Browns will be bad in 2016. Everything else is up in the air.

• renhoekk2 - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:38 AM

it’s worst than that. Before they resigned T Williams I’m pretty sure the only draft pick to get a second contract was Gholston. A rotational backup DL They haven’t drafted well for a very long time.

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:12 AM

The longest tenured Redskins constantly getting his name misspelled into the surname of a first round bust years ago by the Jets shouldn’t pis me off as much as does. One day, I’ll probably add silent h’s to everyone’s name. bhangkokbhen

2. colorofmyskinz - Mar 11, 2016 at 6:34 AM

Agreed Rich. As much as Scot says we will build only through the draft, the reality is the patient hemorrhaging and we can’t wait for sutures, we need to stuff gauze in the wound.

There are so many holes we have to add FA to the draft to be viable for even an NFC east title, because our NFC east teams have improved already just in FA.

If we could add a center or TE, 2 DL and a Safety we could take huge pressure off us in the draft and allow us to build with a long term mindset. If we tried to supply our Dline all in the draft, we would be looking at all other positions in Late round picks. We can’t afford to do that.

We have to get young at WR, safety, Dline, and Corner. Can’t just count on draft this year.

• skinsgame - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:12 AM

You’re right. We’ll have to count in next years draft as well.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Have you seen the money even mediocre WRs are getting this offseason?

Take a look at Sanu’s contract with Altanta, for instance.

As for center, Mack just signed a huge contract with them, too. That leaves Wisniewski, who is 1) going to get overpaid, and 2) isn’t that great (at least per the Jaguars):

Stefan Wisniewski was brought in as a free agent to provide a veteran presence at the center position and to help Blake Bortles with the nuance of calling pass protections for the offensive line. He is what he is as a player — okay pass blocker, liability as a run blocker, nothing special.
      =====
      ~

• hail74 - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Your assuming the Giants got better only because they signed high profile guys. Will Vernon be the same or better without suh and wake? How about Harris and the talented jets front? They essentially replaced first round disappointing corner Prince with Jenkins, who has his own issues. They spent over 200 mil doing so too. Every year some team is awarded the title of Free agency winner only to have lackluster seasons. Miami,Tampa,Philly and our own skins just to name a few.

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM

I hear you on this. There was also the “dream team” in Philly and then there is Denver. Denver after their disappointing Super Bowl loss to the Seahawks spent a boatload on defense only to miss out on the Super Bowl the next year and, oh by the way, win it the following year. The similarities of the two teams is that they both had prolific offenses (NYG: 8th in yards; 6th in points) and QBs with the same surname. Who knows if the Giants will be another version of “the dream team” or win something in the next three year window, but on paper, they are much better.

• renhoekk2 - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM

You notice the difference in comparing DEN and NYG. One had been to the playoffs and Super Bowl and the other has gone 6-10 the last two seasons and hasn’t had a winning record since 2012. A couple of FA isn’t going to turn the NYG into a juggernaut. Maybe a winning season at best. Same for Philly. They brought in Mawell and Murray and Bradford and regressed last year. But now for some reason they bring in another batch of FA and everyone assumes they are improved. They will be learning a whole new offense and defense and that does not usually translate into more wins. And as far as Dallas goes it’s obvious that Romo is now made of glass.

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Dallas is glass. I don’t think anyone is thinking Philly is better off now – just simply gutting out the cancer causes by Chip. The Giants are better. They had a horrible defense and lost countless games in the final minutes. How long will it take to get results on that side of the ball, who knows? But it has started.

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Also, although the 2013 Broncos and 2015 Giants were/are coming from different places, they both were/are trying to get to the next level.

• Trey Gregory - Mar 13, 2016 at 4:31 AM

I really don’t think you can compare what the Broncos did to what the Giants are doing. The Broncos already had a team right in the cusp and added a couple key pieces to finish it off. The Giants are just trying to keep the ship afloat.

There are a couple situations where aggressive free agency has historically panned out. One is if you have a strong organization, with a strong locker room, a good coaching staff, and some very good established players who also happen to be leaders and you’re close to a championship. Then those signings make sense. Because you can’t maintain those kind of contracts for long. You also have to draft well to have young, cheap, talent and then compliment that with a couple pieces. Those guys have to be able to walk into the locker room and just learn/adapt to the new way. They can’t be focused on changing the culture or grooming new guys. That needs to be in place. They can contribute to that later, but it takes some guys time to settle. You also have to have a GM who can tell the guys that want to win apart from the guys who just want a payday. Denver had that. They had every one of those things. Do the Giants really strike you as a team like that?

Remember when the Colts brought in Frank Gore and Andre Johnson to put them over the top only to discover their team really wasn’t as far along as they thought and it blew up in their face? I get that Luck got hurt but it wasn’t working when he was healthy either. And there’s those two guys are very well respected veterans. But the other pieces need to be in place. Remember when San Francisco and Seattle were in an “arms race” signing players like Anquan Boldin and Percy Harvin to edge the other out? Or even Jimmy Grahm to Seattle last year? There’s so many things that have to go right for these things to work. The right guy, being the right fit, in the right situation. You can’t just throw money at a position and hope for the best.

Jerry Reece hasn’t done anything in recent history to make me think he’s capable of that. But we will see. He will resolidify his reputation of this works. And to be clear, I don’t think I know more about building a team than Reece. I think the owner told him to make moves or else he would be gone next year so he’s taking a risk. We’ve also seen that plenty of times before.

• bangkokben - Mar 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Trey, I agree with most of what you said, except that they added “a couple of key pieces.” Look, everyone thought that two years ago, they were adding what they were missing to put them over the top and then proceeded to make fun of them for not getting the job done in year one. The point I was making is that IT CAN work and the Broncos are exhibit A. Are there plenty of examples of it not working?Yes, of course. Here are most of the FAs on the Broncos Super Bowl champs:

Peyton Manning 2012
          DeMarcus Ware 2014
          TJ Ward 2014
          Aqib Talib 2014
          Louis Vasquez 2013
          Emmanuel Sanders 2014
          Evan Mathis 2015
          Owen Daniels 2015
          Antonio Smith 2015
          Darian Stewart 2015
          Vance Walker 2015
          Andre Caldwell 2012

Not a shabby list. Were the Broncos just lucky that the guys they signed didn’t get injured?

• Trey Gregory - Mar 13, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Hey, first let me say I’m sorry for making such a long post. Didn’t realize how long I droned on until after I posted it.

I agree that you never know how these things are going to work out. Sometimes it does, of course. We don’t know how the Giants are going to handle their new pieces. It might work out.

I just generally don’t think throwing a massive contracts at guys who happen to be the best available free agents is prudent. But they do work out from time to time.

Other situations where FA works: If you can land a top QB like Peyton or Joe Montana, you absolutely do it. Or finding those solid role players at reasonable prices to fill out your roster. Like what we did with Paea or Francois. A lot of the later free agents Denver signed were those kinds of guys. I could argue that everyone on your list after Talib was a signing like that, regardless of how well they played or their pedigree before. Remember, Sanders wasn’t even a #2 receiver for most of his time in Pittsburg and didn’t have that great of a career there. I get Mathis was a pro bowler, but certainly isn’t anymore. Those were more like the free agents you pick up after the initial splashes are over, for reasonable prices. Like what McCloughan is doing and not what the Giants have been doing.

So Elway made a couple splashes for top talent because the timing was right for his team then some other free agent moves the way most of us agree works. I’m just not sure the Giants are doing the same thing. But you are 100% correct that it could work and none of us will really know until a year or two from now

3. sidepull - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:19 AM

I think Scot is right by letting the market settle and not overpaying FA’s. There is help out there, like A.Hicks, Weddle, R.Nelson, Boykin, that can help out a defense. I am not saying sign those guys in particular but there is help and we will see how it goes.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Redskins free agency is like the $5 Walmart movie bin

Pretty good piece, even with the “National Lampoon’s Vacation” libel.
      ~

• sidepull - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM

That petty much sums it up: Reyes is in the $5 pile for sure, at the bottom. Maybe Barry can get something out of him. The whole DL stunk in SD so maybe he can improve here. I dunno, grasping at straws for sure.

• Trey Gregory - Mar 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM

Am I the only one kind of excited about Reyes? He was a high draft pick for a reason, had a promising start to his career, then kind of fell off. He wouldn’t be the first guy to recapture some lightning or hit his stride late.

For what we’re paying him, it will work out if he’s just a backup/rotational player. But there’s potential there. It’s really all upside. If he doesn’t ever become more than a backup, no big deal. If he becomes more, then that’s a great signing.

Paea and Francois aren’t what I dream about as starters with Baker, but they can get the job done if we have to rely on them. Reyes just added some depth there and maybe more.

4. scottmccloughanfan - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I am preparing for a downside year in 2016.

Maybe my man McCLOUGHAN pulls the rabbit out of the top hat. One can only hope.

If the FA’s he selects pan out, we may be better than last season.

After all, we will have experienced 2015 draftees, and this year’s selections on hand.

But I do think it takes five years to build the way SCOTT is headed, and we’re only two years in at this point.

Digging out of the hole created by the RGIII machinations in 2012 has put us where MINNESOTA was after that great running back fizzled and they built the DALLAS franchise for a decade.

But after 67 seasons, hope springs eternal even if this body won’t. Just hoping to see the REDSKINS return to glory before departing this realm.

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM

“Digging out of the hole created by the RGIII machinations in 2012…”

This isn’t the whole picture. There are other factors COMBINED with the result of THE TRADE. The salary cap penalty was much more damaging then losing those picks. If you don’t ONLY have two starters and a part-time 3rd down running back as a result of the SIXTEEN draft picks in years 2012 & 2013, then losing those picks isn’t the “tragedy” that it is perceived to be.

• ET - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM

No, it’s not the whole picture but the loss of those high draft picks is (theoretically) quite significant. And easier to latch on to conceptually. That’s not to minimize the salary cap penalty, but it’s more abstract.

• scottmccloughanfan - Mar 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Keep believing that BEN.

• bangkokben - Mar 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Had we not made the trade, we could’ve easily drafted Mo Claiborne in the first and Jonathan Martin in the second. Then followed it up with two other busts. If you’re going to play the what-if game you have to acknowledge that there are two sides to that game.

• Trey Gregory - Mar 13, 2016 at 4:39 AM

I agree that the salary cap penalty was more significant than many fans and analysts make it out to be. It’s like nobody remembers that happened. Combine that with the loss of draft picks and it didn’t give us a very good chance to succeed.

But Bang is right, we could have blown those picks. Still, Mo Calibirne probably would have been an upgrade to some of the guys we’ve had playing corner since 2012. And you never know how a guy would succeed in a different situation. I have to believe that we would have found one or two decent-good players in 3 firsts and a second. Allen and Shannahan probably could have accomplished that just using Mel Keiper’s draft board; it’s hard to blow that many high picks. But you never know. Cleveland certainly did.

• bangkokben - Mar 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Cleveland is such a great point. They were in a bidding war with the Redskins for that pick and “lost.” But at least they kept all their picks (five number ones and two number twos during that time).
          Trent Richardson
          Brandon Weedan
          Mitchell Swartz
          Barkevious Mingo
          Justin Gilbert
          Johnny Manziel
          Joel Bitonio

So they have that going for them. Maybe Gilbert will become super. Mingo might win back a starting role (Trent Murphy, anyone) and they may have guard too. Two and half starters and four losing seasons compared to our Trent Murphy two division titles.

5. berniebernard666 - Mar 11, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Picking solid players is a skill and Scott M is superior at locating NFL talent. But that skill and philosophy in building a winner are 2 separate skills. I hope he has the 2nd skill. John Elway has it. He has recognized that a great defense can carry a team so he went out and hired Wade Phillips while Scott M allowed his coach to hire JOE BARRY. That was a huge mistake and one of those D coordinators went to the Superbowl while the other one presided over one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL.

Elway has also not been afraid to dip into free agency and find solid safeties and solid cornerbacks and pass rushers. Being a GM is like shopping. You can’t just shop on one side of the isle because they may be great products on the other side as well, which is why we are missing the boat in free agency in order to just rely on the draft. The Redskins went too far for years overspending just to spend. Now they have gone to far in the opposite direction. Now they refuse to spend and refuse to go after prime talent. So look I am looking for a step back this season until 2017.

• pdxskin - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I was one who was beating the drum for Wade Phillips last year, and was floored when they hired Joe Barry out of deep left field…. but to be fair, you can’t compare their performances after the fact, because Phillips was working with a defense that was stacked with top-shelf talent at all three levels, whereas Barry was trying to make lemonade out of a bunch of lemons (but there just wasn’t enough sugar).

I’m not defending Barry, but it just doesn’t make sense to compare the two very different situations after the fact. Would Phillips have gotten more out of our lemons than Barry did? Most likely…. but would he have turned them into a Top 5 (or even Top 10) defense? I doubt it….

• hail74 - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM

And why was Wade Phillips available?

• hail74 - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM

People also need t realize it’s far easier to attract top level talent at reasonable salaries when your considered a contender.

• ET - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:38 AM

“Now they have gone to far in the opposite direction. Now they refuse to spend and refuse to go after prime talent. “

Not true. Scot is prioritizing positions while working with a fairly restrictive amount of cap money. The front office has clearly been willing to spend when it’s warranted (e.g., Cousins, T Williams) while cost-cutting in an efficient manner (e.g., Hatcher, Goldson, RGIII). The Skins don’t have the luxury of spending like the Giants or Jags, but our recent history indicates that plum FA signings are no predictor of success—particularly when an organization has failed to build depth through development and the draft.

• John - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Sorry but regardless how good the coordinator is the players still have to make the plays on the field. Phillips had way more talent to work with (Von Miller, M Jackson, Demarcus Ware, to name a few). Barry had Kerrigan, Murphy and Smith, not to mention a beat up secondary and porous line. Denver’s defense was way better but it as not because of the coach. If the talent was equal, the case could be made but you must be blind or delusional to think they are working with equal assets.

6. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Kendall Reyes lands deal with Redskins

~

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Good work, thunder. It appears we have the first of our bargain bin DVDs.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM

PFF has him rated last on the D.E. list for 2015.

But I guess the price was right!
        ~

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM

If doesn’t work out we can always put it on Joe Barry.

I’m sure some have already.

7. baugh33 - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM

As bad as those two classes were for us – and they were – I think in 4 or 5 years we will be looking back on the 2015 draft as one of the greatest! Scot is an amazing drafter. Look at the talent!

1. Brandon Scherff – allowed 1 sack in his rookie year. He will be a Pro Bowler annually.
    2. Preston Smith – really came on in the second half of the season – figuring it out – will be a beast! 8 sacks!
    3. Matt Jones – he has shown flashes and is HUGE – stop fumbling and he’ll be great!
    4. Arie Kouandjio – may get a shot this year.
    5. Martrell Spaight – inconclusive – IR in September.
    6. Kyshoen Jarrett – may be the steal of the draft! He played surprisingly well down the stretch!

We had more selections than this but they are not worth mentioning here – they all have not produced. But you’re looking at a bunch of great picks! I am excited to see what Scot does this year!

P.S. Keep up the great work, Rich! You’re my favorite Redskins columnist!

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM

A little devil’s advocate here.

This same time frame from the 2012 draft and there was a bit of back slapping about that draft. We thought we had starters the next ten years at QB and RB, thought we had a back-up QB that we could one-day trade for future draft picks, thought Keenan Robinson would become London Fletcher’s heir apparent, thought that one of the three linemen we drafted would develop, and we even might have something in Richard Crawford.

As to the 2015 guys.
      1. Guard
      2. Why are still looking for pass rushers?
      3. Will we pick a back in the top two rounds?
      4. Is he the next Adam Gettis
      5. HB Blades?
      6. Nerve damage is a tough thing to recover for — period. For an athlete, my prayers are with him.

Having said all that, Scot M has shown he can pick ’em.

• ET - Mar 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I prefer to remain optimistic, but your notes on the 2015 picks are fair. Several of these players (Jones, Arie, Jarrett) could produce big returns or wash out for one reason or another. Well, they ALL could, but the odds of success are higher for some.

PS: where’s Crowder?

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 12:05 PM

I prefer to be optimistic as well but wanted to get the jump on those that dwell in bog of woe to our team and at the same time acknowledge the possibility.

• shermanp79 - Mar 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I think Dunbar performed when given chance and was UDFA

• Skulb - Mar 13, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Yes the rest of the draft isn’t worth mentioning. People like Crowder are obviously scrubs.

8. greed - Mar 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM

so lets see skins have no blocking TE struggled on the goaline and short yardage situations and grudens answer is to get rid of one of the best FB in the leauge ! LOL ! HE refuses to adapt his scheme to his players strengths other than cousins , skins will have new headcoach next yr aswell this guy has no clue

• bangkokben - Mar 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM

How many times have you been saying, “skins will have a new coach,” last year? Dude, just keep doubling down.

• greed - Mar 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM

As much as i want too , dont like it dont respond DUDE

• John - Mar 11, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Oh boo hoo! Go get a tissue. Will LMAO when Gruden is here going into year 4 and you’ll stiil be moaning and groaning over the benching of you non-savior RG3!

9. smotion55 - Mar 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Most teams are going to spend some money in the free agency period, I just find it hard to stomach how the NY Giants who hated when we were big players in free agency now are doing what we used to do. I can only hope ass ho owner Mara and the team get the same outcome as we did..

10. Skulb - Mar 13, 2016 at 12:58 AM

I know you know this, but the 11 and 12 drafts look bad because the coach got fired shortly afterward. New system, new schemes etc. There’s nothing wrong with Morris for example, but he needs a zone running offense, not a power run. Just as soon as Shanahan was starting to get the players he wanted assembled into a team he got fired. It remains to be seen if the cycle will repeat itself with Gruden but you have to hope not. If it does I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if we look back on the 14 and 15 drafts as failures too in a couple of years.
    Stability is important in any team sport. But it is even more important in the NFL, not less.