Mar 8, 2016, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, March 8, one day before the start of NFL free agency.
Ripple effects from Monday’s Redskins roster moves
We found out on Monday that four members of the 2015 Redskins were released. Here’s some analysis of the ripple effects of those moves.
QB Robert Griffin III—The Redskins have known this was coming since last August 31 and so the effects have largely worked their way through. The consequence that is the hardest to measure is the most lasting one, the players the Redskins could have acquired with the three first-round pick and the one second they gave up to get Griffin.
S Dashon Goldson—It’s unusual for a player to be a captain in his first year with the team but Goldson got elected after being traded from the Bucs. An odd situation led to him being one and done. The Bucs picked up half of his salary last year when they made the trade. His deal, signed when he was coming off his All-Pro season in San Francisco, called for an $8 million salary, just too much for his level of play. The Redskins picked up no dead cap in the process so they got 15 starts in exchange for a swap of late-round draft picks.
S Jeron Johnson—This one is somewhat puzzling because the cap room saved, $1.1 million, is so low. He’s still fairly young (28 when season starts) and a reasonably good special teams contributor. Johnson could be worth the money even if he never played a snap on defense. The departures of he two safeties puts a lot of pressure on DeAngelo Hall and Duke Ihenacho to stay healthy, on Kyshoen Jarrett to continue developing, and on Scot McCloughan to find another safety or two.
DE Jason Hatcher—He signed a four-year deal in 2014 but with a base salary that jumped up to $6.25 million this year both parties knew that unless Hatcher performed extremely well that the contract would either be revised or terminated after two years. There was talk recently that he wanted to play and would take a pay cut to do so. But it didn’t work out so Hatcher, who will turn 34 before training camp starts, is gone. His sack stats, 7.5 in two seasons, understate his level of play. Hatcher led the D-line in hurries the last two years with a combined 62. And he was a good locker room leader. Still, when you added it up the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. With Terrance Knight also departing and Kedric Golston and Frank Kearse unsigned the Redskins could be looking for as many as four new players on the defensive line in 2016.
—The Redskins last played a game 58 days ago. It will be about 187 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 1; Redskins offseason workouts start 41; 2016 NFL draft 51
In case you missed it
- Plenty of blame to go around in Redskins-RG3 saga
- At long last, Redskins release Robert Griffin III
- After Monday’s roster moves, how much cap space do the Redskins have?
- How did we get here? A look at RG3’s time in Washington
- Redskins make qualifying offer to RFA Ihenacho
- Will Compton says he’ll dial the phone to get Mason Foster back if needed
- Redskins release Dashon Goldson and save millions by doing so
- Redskins release safety Jeron Johnson
- Terrance Knighton says that he “has been told to move on”
- Report: Former Rams defensive lineman Chris Long will visit Redskins
- RG3 says goodbye to Redskins fans
- Redskins inform fullback Darrel Young his time in D.C. is finished
- Cuts keep coming: Redskins to release Jason Hatcher
- Florio: Where RG3 could end up next season
- Tracing the incredible rise and shocking fall of Robert Griffin III’s career
- Why the Redskins should (mostly) sit out free agency this year
- Redskins were competitive vs. Manning but he usually won
- Should the Redskins give Pierre Garçon an extension?
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently