Mar 5, 2016, 4:58 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 5, four days before the start of NFL free agency.
The Redskins week that was—No surprise as Cousins, RG3 dominate news
A look at some of the past week’s most popular posts from here and from CSNmidatlantic.com.
Five Redskins who need to step up in 2016—Running back Matt Jones heads this list of players who have big opportunities in front of them this year and need to get it done on the field to take advantage of it. My bet is that two of these players go into 2017 as solid starters, two aren’t on the roster a year from now and another will have to compete to make the team. I don’t know which player is in which category but that’s the way the NFL usually works.
Momentum builds surrounding RG3 joining Cowboys—Sorry, folks, I continue to not believe it. Eventually, even in a circus like the one that has Jerruh as its ringmaster, football sense has to be the top consideration. And if Tony Romo gets injured again Griffin just isn’t the right person to come in and move the offense; their timing routes are not what he does well. Add in the fact that Jones recently said that he expects Romo to be the QB there for another four or five years and you have a situation where Griffin is looking elsewhere for employment. There is no way he wants to wait that long for a shot at starting.
What happens after the Redskins tag Kirk Cousins?—We’ve already seen one part of the post-tag process; after getting franchised on Tuesday Cousins signed it on Wednesday. The most likely next step in the process is—nothing. There is no reason for either side to do much now. They will watch with interest as the market for quarterbacks such as Brock Osweiler and, if he is released, Colin Kaepernick develop. There might be a small push to get a deal done just before the draft but serious talks are unlikely to crank up until the days just before the July 15 deadline.
In what round will the Redskins draft a quarterback?—With Cousins on a one-year deal and currently the only quarterback on the roster the Redskins need to reset at the position. Whether Colt McCoy returns or not they still need a young quarterback to get into the system. It will be interesting to see how high a priority Scot McCloughan puts on getting one.
Is Junior Galette pricing himself too high?—This is pretty simple, really. Galette wants a one-year deal that will let him get back on the free agent market next year. The Redskins want to sign him for a few years in a deal that is loaded with incentives including per-game roster bonuses. Galette’s agent was encouraging his client to go with the Redskins’ offer. Galette fired his agent and is going to find one who will push for the one-year deal. It doesn’t look promising for his future with the Redskins right now but we will see.
—On this date in 1993 Joe Gibbs stunned Redskins fans by announcing his retirement.
—The Redskins last played a game 55 days ago. It will be about 190 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 4; Redskins offseason workouts start 44; 2016 NFL draft 54
In case you missed it
- Position outlook: In need of young wide receivers?
- Where does the Redskins’ Jay Gruden rank among NFL head coaches?
- Redskins free agent fits: Running backs
- Redskins extend offer to homegrown LB Will Compton
- Alfred Morris: ‘No hard feelings’ if he doesn’t return to the Redskins
- Newest Redskins rumor: Interest in new quarterback?
- Reasoning behind report’s suggestion Texans are frontrunner for RG3
- Report: RG3 drawing interest from ‘at least 10 teams
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have been protecting Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined