Feb 27, 2016, 5:16 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, February 27, 11 days before the start of NFL free agency.
The Redskins week that was
A look at some of the most popular stories this week here and on CSNmidatlantic.com.
End is near: Bruce Allen says RG3 will get a new opportunity—This was the first official word that the Redskins are moving on from Robert Griffin III. It wasn’t particularly surprising but still significant after about a month and a half of silence on the subject of Griffin’s future. Although his release appears to be inevitable it still has not happened as of this morning. The only surprise here–why did Allen break the news while on a phoner to a San Diego radio station?
Will the Redskins have any interest in ex-Rams?—DE Chris Long, TE Jared Cook, and LB James Laurinaitis were all let go by the Rams in one fell swoop a week ago. It seems doubtful that the Redskins would be interested in any of them. They already have two tight ends that do what Cook does in Jordan Reed and Niles Paul. Long has been hit with injuries and is on the wrong side of 30. And Laurinaitis might be a fit but his age is likely to keep the Redskins away.
Will the Redskins believe Nkemdiche’s upside is worth the risk?—The Ole Miss defensive lineman has first-round size and athleticism. However, he posted some fairly paltry stats in college and an arrest for marijuana possession throw some red flags in his path to being a No 1 draft pick. It will be interesting to see what McCloughan does if he’s on the board.
A (long) list of the most impressive draft picks made by Scot McCloughan—A good gallery of McCloughan’s best draft picks with the 49ers, Seahawks, and Redskins. Take a few minutes and be impressed.
Who are the top 2017 Redskins free agents?—McCloughan is playing 3-D chess as he prepares for the draft and free agency. Take a look at the list and figure out why wide receiver is a major need in this year’s draft.
—The Redskins last played a game 48 days ago. It will be about 197 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 11; Redskins offseason workouts start 51; 2016 NFL draft 61
In case you missed it
- Beware of smokescreens
- Report: Redskins plan to tag Kirk Cousins
- Brian Mitchell make sense of conflicting reports over Cousins
- Conflicting reports say Redskins undecided on tag, could trade Cousins
- Redskins have interest from at least 2 teams in RG3, per report
- Redskins may have to wait for first-rounder to become a starter
- Redskins sue former draft pick after erroneous payment
- Is the Redskins’ future center already on the roster?
- How can the Redskins create more cap room?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?