Feb 20, 2016, 4:59 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, February 20, four days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
The Redskins week that was: If they say it’s not about the money, it’s about the money
Former agent says issue with Redskins and Kirk Cousins isn’t money—It’s one of the oldest sayings in the book—when they say it’s not about the money, it’s about the money. Of course, the snag in negotiations, if you can call it that, is over money. It’s not necessarily in total dollars or average per year but factors such as how much money is truly guaranteed at signing and at what point the team can get out of the deal without taking a monstrous cap hit.
Will Cousins sign with the Redskins by the deadline?—Before the news of the “impasse” in contract talks, which is really business as usual, I bet an imaginary $40 out of $100 in imaginary casino chips that the contract talks would go beyond the March 1 deadline for applying the franchise tag. The situation obviously is fluid but the negotiations going into overtime now seems to be a strong favorite.
Why RG3 won’t sign with the Cowboys—Once you get beneath the surface reasons for Griffin signing with Dallas the move makes absolutely no sense for either the player or the team. I may be right about that, I may be wrong. Either way, you know where to find me.
NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Why Round 1 QBs matter to Redskins, Ravens—You might not agree with the players Ben Standig mocks to teams but he does have solid rationale for doing so. When you click on this read the introductory post, some good stuff in there about how interest in first-round quarterbacks affects the redskins even if they don’t draft one.
What should top the Redskins’ list of priorities this offseason?—Pass rush? Running game? Despite their NFC East title, the Redskins have plenty to work on before they become true, perennial contenders. Tarik and I discuss what we would work on fixing first.
—The Redskins last played a game 41 days ago. It will be about 205 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 4; NFL free agency starts 18; 2016 NFL draft 68
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have been protecting Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined