Need to Know: Why RG3 won’t sign with the Cowboys

Feb 19, 2016, 5:15 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, February 19, five days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Why RG3 won’t go to the Cowboys

The next team that Robert Griffin III will play for is already set, according to the conventional wisdom of many fans and members of the media. He is going to sign with the Dallas Cowboys and back up Tony Romo until the veteran retires and then RG3 will become the starting QB in Big D.

There are many reasons why RG3 to Dallas is inevitable. He’s from Texas. When the Redskins played in Dallas in the season finale there were some fans on the sideline with RG3 No. 10 Cowboys jerseys on. He would be welcomed with open arms. Jerry Jones likes high-profile players he certainly was dazzled by what Griffin did to his team in his house on Thanksgiving Day in 2012. The Cowboys need a backup quarterback and Griffin will be available when the Redskins release him sometime between now and March 9.

It’s all too perfect except for one thing—it’s not going to happen.

For one thing, it makes no sense once all of the hoopla is done and the players actually have to take the field and play games. If (when?) Romo gets injured again, Griffin is exactly the wrong person to come in and help the Cowboys win games.

Here is the way that Jean-Jacques Taylor, who covers the Cowboys for and knows the Dallas offense much better than I do, put it in a recent post:

What you must understand is that the Cowboys run a timing-based passing scheme, built around quarterbacks throwing the ball just as the receiver makes his break. No way, based on what we’ve seen during his four-year NFL career, could Griffin successfully run the Cowboys’ offense.

Taylor noted that a member of the Cowboys front office said that In December one member of the Cowboys’ front office said, “Griffin was an even worse fit in the Cowboys’ offense than [Johnny] Manziel”. Taylor concluded by saying, “Someone will give Griffin a chance, but it won’t be the Cowboys.”

Not only would Griffin with a star on his helmet not work for the Cowboys, it wouldn’t work for Griffin either. Romo is the established starter in Dallas. He turns 36 in a couple of months which is getting up there in years but far from ancient. Yes he was injured most of last year but that happens. Romo is not a particularly fragile; he had missed a total of two games in the four years leading up to the 2015 season. The backup might get a start here and there but steady work is unlikely.

A chance for Griffin to be the starter is at least a couple of years away. Romo’s contract locks him into Dallas for at least two more years, with prohibitive amounts of dead cap in 2016 ($31.9 million) and 2017 ($19.6 million). Maybe they could consider letting him go in 2018 when the dead cap drops to “only” $8.9 million. Of course, they could restructure the deal again and push even more money into later years, again increasing the dead cap to a prohibitive amount.

But even given the shorter, two-year time frame during which Griffin would have to show that he is a better alternative than Romo, will RG3 want to wait that long? He would be entering his age 28 season. It’s not impossible to establish yourself in your late 20’s—Kirk Cousins breakthrough season came last year at the age of 27. But a guy who was driven, perhaps to the point where it was against common sense, to recover from a torn ACL in time for the 2013 season opener doesn’t seem like a guy who would willingly sign on knowing he would have to wait at least two years to be The Man.

To be sure, there aren’t any teams where Griffin could walk in and be the starter. But there are plenty of places where the QB situation is much shakier than it is in Dallas. I count seven—the Jets, Browns, Texans, Broncos, Eagles, Rams, and 49ers. There could be a few more that are under the radar right now. Not all are fits in terms of scheme and culture but all of them are more likely to have Griffin in a situation he plays more in 2016 than he would in Dallas and is more likely be the starter going into 2017 than he would be with the Cowboys.

Not the right situation for the team, not right for the player. Other than those factors, the only ones that really matter, it’s the perfect fit.

—The Redskins last played a game 40 days ago. It will be about 206 days until they play another one.

Days until: NFL Combine 5; NFL free agency starts 19; 2016 NFL draft 69

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. ajbus1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 6:40 AM

Ready. FIGHT!

• hail74 - Feb 19, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Haha. I don’t know which qb you prefer but I’m going to assume you do prefer one and therefore insult your choice by saying you know nothing of football because if you did you would see why the one you don’t prefer would be better.

• cpst123 - Feb 19, 2016 at 6:54 AM

Clearly neither one of you knows football or you’d know that my guy is better than you guy.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:37 AM

I am appalled by the lack of football knowledge on display here as evidenced by preferences for the wrong guy.

• ajbus1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Awesome responses. You guys are hilarious!

• sidepull - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:55 AM

I ll make it easy to determine the preference. I like the one who won the NFC East

• brucefan1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:00 AM

“Ready. FIGHT!”

Best. Comment. Ever.

(And while I MIGHT enjoy to poking thru the grizzly remains of that silly train wreck, ain’t no way I’m gonna get involved in it! LOL!)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:04 AM

In the wild, you’d be the scavenger

• brucefan1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Haha! Love the analogy, redskinsname!

Yeah, I guess if being a “scavenger” “in the wild” means one who refuses to get dragged into a stupid, trumped-up argument, then I plead guilty as charged. LOL

(Damm … I knew I’d come back here to peek at the mess … just KNEW it!!!)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 5:56 PM

It also means you’re the one standing in the end …or should I say gathering

• voice4thefans - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM

• realfan82 - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM

all ya’ll are wrong because my choice is gonna win ….next year

• kenlinkins - Feb 19, 2016 at 5:33 PM

“Ready – Fight” is up for comment of the year. IMO I just do not know how anyone can know just where RG3 is in his development right now. We have not seen him on the football field for a full season. How will other GM’s know how to rate his value. Does he ready have the up side to work his way back into a starting NFL QB position? Is he nothing more that a back up QB or is he the best value to be signed this off season? You either like him or don’t, and most seem to be picking a side based on something other than knowing his skill set / talent level right now (i.e. you hate Shanahan & Gruden, hated the deal or like Cousins, like the new GM, loved the deal and remember 2012 or maybe something else). RG3 does seem to be great copy for writers and us Redskins fans have never been able to with hold our views on any Redskins QB. I do wonder if we Redskins fans will still be blogging away after RG3 signs with another team (which I am 99% sure he will do) or will we be targeting Cousins after his cost go’s sky high? For a guy who didn’t play a down in 2015 he sure did get a lot of ink and I for one can not wait for him to play again so that ink has more to do about his NFL play (which is something I can get my teeth into, all this other stuff not so much)!

2. Mr.moneylover - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:48 AM

I think that post was just click bait…jerry Jones came out and said he would be interested in him (rg3) if or when he becomes available… I’ll believe Jerry Jones over a reporter any day of the weak…never count out Dallas when jerry Jones want a player…and that is just one front office member don’t they got a group of front office members and I assume they all sit down and make a decision on a player…what if the other front office members want him ??? And that whole notion of rg3 can’t run Dallas offense is bogus tony romo is a scrambler and rg3 is a scrambler he just need to learn the offense and he will be find

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:58 AM

If it was just click bait, thanks for clicking.

And please direct me to the quote where Jones said he would be interested in RG3. The Redskins might have a tampering case if such a quote exists.

Romo’s a scrambler? Yeah, he moves out of the pocket some but he’s not a scrambler by any stretch.

As usual, believe what you want. We’ll see what happens.

• brucefan1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:03 AM

“If it was just click bait, thanks for clicking.”

Yer welcome!

Works every time … just like Pavlov’s dogs. ;^}

• Mr.moneylover - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:59 AM

It was on NFL insiders a couple me months back when he was talking about rg3 and johnny manziel he said ” now I don’t wanna get in trouble for tampering but if a guy with a bad background or had struggle in the pass we will take a look at him to see if he fit what we do and that’s all IMA say about that…I didn’t say your article was click bait…but that Dallas reporter article seems click bait because jerry Jones said already in a radio interview the opposite of things he said in his article…

• wvredskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Yeah I agree rich. Romo is no where near a scrambler. Romo is good in the pocket by avoiding contact something rg is clearly not good at. No comparison at all. Smh

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM

While I agree with you about Romo’s ability to avoid contact in the pocket, he also is quite good at avoiding contact outside the pocket. Sure if he takes off and runs he is normally in trouble but scrambling is not just about running. It’s the also when the player maneuvers outside leaving the pocket or original point of protection. This is something Romo does very well. Smh

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM

I went and found footage that totalally disproves your notion that Romo is no where near a scrambler. While the overall footage doesn’t always display the true meaning of a scramble, there are many instances to suggest you are wrong. Especially watch the one scramble against the Redskins that resulted in a touchdown. Romo has done this most of his career.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Is stepping up in the pocket “scrambling”? That’s what 3/4 of the plays I saw on there were.

• bangkokben - Feb 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM

This appears to be a “how to do define ‘scrambler'” disconnect. I’m with you and Rich. He moves great in the pocket creating more time so that he can throw the ball – often outside the pocket with his only move remaining (spin right avoiding the outside pressure from the blide-side *voila* he’s outside the pocket – pass). “Scrambling” QBs usually then run – not Tony. I feel though as I’m watching him that I’m watching Zoolander – can’t spin left, the same thing every time, etc. Except now, it often ends up with a broken bone in his back or his clavicle. Personally, I’d be surprised if he can make it through the next two seasons unscathed.

• brucefan1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM

A “Zoolander” reference! Aww shoot …pullin’ out ALL the stops!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:50 PM

This is not about how to define scrambling. That can easily be proven. it’s about anyone suggesting Romo can’t scramble is dead wrong. There is no “ifs”, “ands”, “buts”, or “semantics” about the matter. Just look at the youtube link if memory fails you or just read examples like below from professional football players and coaches

“He can throw it, he can scramble, he can do just about anything you want a quarterback to do,” Redskins head coach Jay Gruden said earlier this week. “So having a running game to help him along the way will make him all the more effective.”

But, while the Redskins are hoping to get to Romo often, they also know that he’s made a career out of extending plays thought to be dead.

“You think you got him covered in the pocket, he can scramble around and make plays,” linebacker Keenan Robinson said. “He’s kind of like Russell Wilson, but more of a veteran type. He’s athletic, not as athletic as Russell Wilson, but athletic enough to where he can make plays with his feet, make plays with his arm and he’s smart enough to know what spots will hurt you and what coverage.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM

I agree Bruce; the Zoolander reference was funny

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I don’t know Rich; I see some of what Bang described and then I see many like the movement against the Redskins starting at the 1:28 mark. From there you have back-to-back replays against Philadelphia and New York that shows the guy can move all over the field. I’ve always considered Romo one of the best QB scramblers in the NFL. I don’t know how you can classify it any other way. Romo for me provides some of the best examples of scrambling NFL QBs both inside and outside the pocket.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM

RG3 is not a scrambler. That’s what got him injured.

3. Mr.moneylover - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Browns Texans and eagles are out…eagles want nick foles …Texans plan on getting they QB in the draft rg3 is not the type of QB they head coach will like that marriage will fall apart faster then the one here…browns might take a chance on rg3 but hue Jackson is just like jay gruden he want a QB like Andy dolten so I can’t see him going there either…. Jets might be the place for rg3 but they plan on resigning Ryan Fitzpatrick so he might a backup there also…49ers seem more realistic for him but rg3 don’t wanna running QB he want to be a pocket passer the same thing Colin kapernick said after they hired chip Kelly and wanted to be released

• sidepull - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:14 AM

What about the Seahawks money? What do you think about that as a possible destination? Tavaris Jackson, the current back up, says he wants to test the free agent market.

• Mr.moneylover - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Hmmm seahawks might be a dark horse …but I don’t think rg3 would want to go there simply because Russell Wilson never gets hurt and he will be on the bench for years if he sign there…seahawks might do the same thing redskins plan on doing drafting a QB in the late round

4. goback2rfk - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:09 AM

One thing was not mentioned in this article and probably the reason Rg3 will sign with Dallas. Ticket Sales.
    Rg3 can fill the stands and give the Cowboys something to watch when Rhomo gets hurt again.
    Jerry Jones is ultimately an entertainer and wants to give the crowd something to watch.

• sidepull - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Remember that photo showing some fans already wearing RG3 jerseys…..

• renhoekk2 - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM

It was reported that the people wearing Griffin Dallas jerseys were family members who attended the game.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM

For the record, that report was inaccurate.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Dallas fans from Waco?

• berniebernard666 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:23 AM

can just one of you RG3 Cult Followers and Dallas Cult Followers explain to us how your boy is going to go to Dallas and sign a minimum wage contract?…okay…since you haven’t taken the FOOTBALL 101 class yet, I will explain it to you.

You see, there is this thing called a CAP……. and teams have to allocate a certain amount of money to certain positions. The Dallas Cowboys have CAP problems this year and have what is called a DEAD CAP of nearly 32 MILLION DOLLARS to one position. Can you guess what position that is?……..very good….yes….it is the QB position. SO don’t look for RG3 to be signing any 8-10 million dollar deal with the Cowboys because they don’t have the CAP space to invest 40 million dollars in the QB position….especially to have someone sit on the sidelines and watch the game. It would be cheaper just to fly Griffin to Dallas and buy him a ticket to watch.

• Thetruthis - Feb 19, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Well, you certainly are full of your stupid self. Smell anything?

• brucefan1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Aw that’s just bernie being bernie. Humor him — he’s harmless!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 5:14 PM

I don’t know if you want to do that Brude. Bernie probably humors himself by watching Friday 13th slasher marathons.

• Mr.moneylover - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Jerry Jones is for the fans…if the Dallas fans want rg3 I can bet you he will go out there and give the ppl what they want…that’s why I don’t totally agree with that Dallas reporter …they might say they gonna go after colt McCoy just so redskins can hurry up and release rg3…I’m thinking Dallas front office is probably Wondering what everybody else is wondering why redskins haven’t release rg3 yet and they could’ve said get the word out there that we gonna go after colt McCoy because I think they scared scot m. Might keep him because there’s really no reason in keeping him until march 7 unless you planning on keeping him and Dallas don’t want that they want a chance to get him early so why not get the word out there that you gonna target colt McCoy.. that’s the only way I’ll believe that article… now scot m. Use to work for Dallas I’m sure they front office know his kinda mindset he have in keeping players with talent

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Money, I agree that the reporter suggesting RG3 can’t time throws off routes was unsubstantiated.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM

It’s not unsubstantiated. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes.

• Joe - Feb 19, 2016 at 12:56 PM

No it wasn’t. During training camp last year,everybody noticed that RGIII waited for the receiver to come out of his breaks before he would throw the ball,one reason he lost his job. I was there with slot of Redskin fans,and you could see him regress, while Kirk was progressing .

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM

While Rich’s comment has credence because he’s attended many practices for many years now. I’m not going to accept feedback from some fan watching one practice. Especially when so many have ulterior motives for providing negative viewpoints about RG3 as well as fans on Cousins.

The common reporting on RG3 before any preseason was he was progressing. So I guess you are suggesting you saw more from RG3 than any reporter? I’m sure you were in close sight, right on top of every play to make such an observations.

This was the more common reports you’d read on RG3.
          “Robert Griffin looked sharp on Day 1 of training camp, welcome news for the coaching staff, which set steady improvement as the main goal for the young signal caller. Jay Gruden explained to me that he sees last year’s ups and downs between him and Griffin like this: “That’s what you gotta do, that’s part of being a young coach and young quarterback. You gotta go through your ups and downs and learn from your mistakes, and move forward and get better as a group, and learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses and hopefully we’ll continue to do that. But the fact of the matter is he’s still 25 years old, new to this system, new to this type of offense, and we gotta be a little bit patient with him and give him an opportunity to succeed. And hopefully he’ll take this second season, show the gradual improvement that we want to see and be the quarterback we want.” Griffin has shown better timing and rhythm, and is doing better staying within the offense in off-schedule situations. But it’ll be hard to draw any conclusions until he gets in live action in the preseason. And as for that part? The Redskins’ plan is to play Griffin a lot in the exhibition games, more than starting quarterbacks usually do”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Sorry Rich, the link I provided is the wrong one but hopefully you can remove it.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Showing improvement on the first day of training camp without pads doesn’t mean that he can step into a game in Dallas in 2016 and hit timing patterns. He was showing improvement from a pretty low level given the way he played in 2014.

• Thetruthis - Feb 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Rich Tandler, Ive seen you off so many times on your often biased “to prove your point” reporting with my own two eyes. Appreciate the blog but you are really out there sometimes. It is quite obvious most of the time.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM

I’m not a reporter, I’m an Insider/Blogger. I am paid to give my analysis of what’s going on so you’re off about the “bias”.

And am I “off” because I differ from the way you think? If so, I’d say I’m spot on with reality.

One more thing, Thetruthis. Knock off calling other posters “stupid”. If you’re so brilliant and superior it should just show through in your points. We’re not in a kindergarten sandbox here. Thanks.

5. OP - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:17 AM

O , this is just another RG3 can’t play anywhere article. You people never get tired do you. The funny thing will be watching you all scatter like roaches when you see that he is the number one free agent. And hearing what crow sounds like sliding down your necks when he goes to a winner like Denver. And not that other hell hole Dallas. The really funny thing will be listening to you all try to take credit for his maturation and so called “newly,” developed, skills. As he torches the league. It’s coming.
    Get your forks ready.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:34 AM

What the heck are you talking about? Maybe read the post before commenting. I named seven places where I thought Griffin might have an opportunity and said there might be a few more.

I more than happy to have the readers challenge what I wrote but read the darn post first.

• ohioskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:15 AM

don’t let this guy get under your collar Rich. He’s just another one of those RGIII worshipers who still hold onto the belief that Griffin is going to light up the league and fundamentally change the game of football for all time. I used to be one of them, but I have seen the truth with my own eyes. Actually, I knida feel sorry for them. They remind me a little of lemmings; all following one another to the same cliff to jump off in the name of RGIII.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Seems to me you imply RG3 stands no chance of a rebound elsewhere. If that is in the case then the truth you see with your own eyes is actually only truth in your own mind. Don’t come here and act as if some conclusion has been drawn in RG3’s career. The only lemming is the one that can’t tell the difference between truth and opinion of the mind. Yeah there are plenty of those here. So direct that sympathy back at yourself and stop commenting as if Rich shares your viewpoint about RG3.

If you want to attack the original comment then do so without the expense of attacking RG3. You seem to be trying to find more creative ways to direct your hate at a player that was poorly managed by this organization

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Oh, he’s not under my collar at all. I’m laughing.

• ohioskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM

@redskinsnameisheretostay, you seem to be another one of the people on here who have a problem with reading and comprehending. You seem to be trying to read my mind and put words in my mouth that were never there instead of reading and comprehending what I DID write. Now take a deep breath and try to comprehend. I know it’s difficult for you, but just try. I never said ANYTHING about Griffin not being able to rebound or resurrect his career. And I challenge you to show me where I did. What I DID say is that Griffin will never light up the league of change fundamentally change football forever. He will not. He will go to some other team and probably make nice career for himself somewhere. I used to think he would. I was one of his biggest supporters from the start. Even through 2013 and 2014 I still held out hope he would bounce back. But I have SEEN the hesitation/holding the ball too long, I have SEEN the poor footwork, I have SEEN the poor pocket presence, I have SEEN the lack of anticipation and waiting on his receivers when the ball should be out of his hands, I have SEEN the lack of progress even after a whole offseason where he was named the starter, was healthy, and should have improved but didn’t. So don’t tell me I haven’t seen anything. And don’t give me that BS line about it all being the coaches fault. But I guess you have to blame someone and it’s too unthinkable to blame Griffin. So just join your other little lemming friends and follow him wherever he goes, and we’ll all be happy.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM

“He’s just another one of those RGIII worshipers who still hold onto the belief that Griffin is going to light up the league and fundamentally change the game of football for all time. I used to be one of them, but I have seen the truth with my own eyes. ”

“…hold onto belief”
          “…I used to be one of them”
          “…but I have seen the truth”

No you just can’t write beyond 8th grade level. What the heck else is someone supposed to comprehend from that garbage?

You are trying to suggest he won’t excel in the league. So yeah you are suggesting he won’t rebound.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM

After reading you last comment fully I understand the actual point you were making. Now understand I also stated “Seems to me you imply RG3 stands no chance of a rebound elsewhere. If that is in the case then…”

I didn’t comment emphatically what you were suggesting at the time. This is a discussion forum so many use terms like “light up” the league as hyperbole to attack a player or fan especially when discussing RG3. So my fault on missing what you were suggesting about RG3. However, you need to understand that’s why I used words like “imply” and “if”

• rtcwon - Feb 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM

And you are aware that he was poorly managed by this organization is your opinion?

• ohioskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM

@redsinsnameisheretostay. Yea, I understand why you said “imply”, etc… Things can get a little heated on here at times and I think all of us are guilty, at one time or another, of misunderstanding each other. I have no hatred for Griffin and I wish him the best with the rest of his career. He has amazing talent. It just needs to be with the right coach and the right organization to harness it in the right direction. I think there is a lot more we agree on than what we don’t agree on.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Absolutely it is my opinion, but do you suggest there were never incidents of mismanagement of RG3 by the team?

• ohioskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 5:25 PM

No, I don’t. I know the team made plenty of mistakes; but Robert made some mistakes also, as well as his family. I don’t think there was anyone in this situation that was completely blameless. But what’s done is done. Time for Robert and the team to move on to bigger and better things. Like I said, I wish him all the luck and hope his career really takes off wherever he ends up.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM

@ohioskins, my prior comment was in response to the question about poor management being an opinion. However, I agree RG3 made his share of mistakes along the way. I think the biggest issue I have with the organization was that they should never have allowed RG3 to have so much influence. At his age; he’s going to make mistakes in this type of environment, so it’s important that the organization stick together to direct him along the way. Instead, it appeared there was dissension within the organization about RG3 and certainly communication issues between Snyder, Shanahan, and all the way down to Dr. Edwards who, as a renowned surgeon and knee specialist, was supposed to be on the sidelines monitoring RG3.

I must admit it will come with great relief once RG3 is released. That way the bickering can move on to another subject.

• wvredskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM

You my friend are high.

6. redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 8:34 AM

I think the Bills should be on the list of candidates for RG3. The way Greg Roman runs that offense may be the best fit for RG3 in terms of development. It’d be the one offense he could start in rather quickly.

• sidepull - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Yup thats another good one too. Tyrod Taylor would have something to say about it but Greg Roman is a guy who can scheme for a guy like Rg3.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM

If RG3 became comfortable in that offense I doubt there is anything Tyrod could do to keep his job. However RG3 would have to accept again playing some read option.

• Mike - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM

AGREED!!! If, Only (We the fans) had some input, right?? The Bills tho!!?!

• berniebernard666 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:13 AM

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Typically that response applies to most of your comments. Feel free to provide counterpoints since I know they can be easily decimated.

• ajbus1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM

I completely agree. Tyrod Taylor gets hurt occasionally too and they could insert RG without changing the play calling. Heck, maybe RG could beat him out for the starting gig. I also like it because it’s not our division. I’d hate to see RG in any of our division foes’ uniforms.

• ohioskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Now see, here we can agree. I think the Bills would be an excellent landing spot for Griffin. They run an offense he would excel in. If he were given a chance there, I don’t think Tyrod would stand much of a chance against Griffin.

7. berniebernard666 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Griffin makes bad decisions on the football field as well as on his twitter computer so I expect him to continue that pattern by making another bad decision this offseason. He should go back to Texas, and sign a deal with Houston where he would be a starter and be closer to his statue. However, I predict he will go to another state and fail miserably and be out of football in 2017 because he will not accept his role as a backup QB, which is all he could ever be on a good team.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM

–signed ignorant football fan

• berniebernard666 - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Yes you are. And by recognizing that you are ignorant…that is the very first step to moving forward. I applaud you. Now get ready….you’re late for school.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:44 AM

It was an edit to your original post. Of course the inference went over your head.

btw – What Twitter Computer do you own? I own some Dell Computers so I’m just curious where you can buy one of those twitter computers.

Anyway, thanks for shedding light on Houston being a potential team for RG3. No one saw that coming!!!

8. shermanp79 - Feb 19, 2016 at 9:43 AM

It will be interesting to see how things go with RG3. It has been clear he needs to be honest with himself, where he is career wise right now. Understand his limitations as a QB then work on the things he struggles doing. Going to people in his circle, who tell him what he wants to hear has to stop. He is NOT a GREAT QB as he believes. Too many now believe he is a long way from a quality QB running an NFL offense. The issue,,,,,Does he understand his limitations.

Those near him must be realistic What kind of money will he want? Will the media SH#T STORM follow, pick at every angle and be a distraction bringing the team down as it did here for 2 years. His best bet may be DAL or somewhere being a back up. A SEA or CAR really would be his best spots. I just don’t see RG3 going for it. He is going to end up in a poor situation, just so he can get on that field. After all, HE IS GREAT, and others know it too. (I do believe we heard it at most post game interviews). If he fails to humble himself, learn from his mistakes, going forward may leave him being his own worst enemy. Where he chooses to go will tell everyone where his head is at right now.
    I do wish him the best. It was great watching him in 2012. Yes, maybe Gruden could of tailored the offense but it’s not like he is on an island, Shanny wanted to go to Kirk too and too many throughout football came to similar conclusions. I hope he picks a spot best to rebuild his once promising NFL career as a starting QB..

9. La1037 - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM

But one important missed point. It would be so much fun for RG3 and for Dallas to bury the Redskins with their former scorned QB who is really very talented. I think that strong possibility is too hard to resist for both parties.

10. allaineff - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Dag Rich, you’re picking up right where you left off with Robert. What is your problem. I hope so bad that Robert takes notes from Cam and learn how to tell y’ll where to go and Piss on how you get there.

11. allaineff - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Also, if I had known you (Rich) were the author I would not have wasted my time with this Robert bashing.

• ajbus1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:44 AM

In what way is it “Robert bashing”? He’s just saying RG won’t be going to Dallas.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM

It wasn’t Robert Bashing at all. It was a constructive viewpoint that included supporting opinions from another writer close to the team. That’s the insanity of both RG3 and Cousins. It’s very hard to provide a constructive viewpoint without pointless accusations like the one above. These folks don’t read the articles or comments. They create a narrative within their own twisted mind and then actually initiate the bashing.

• bangkokben - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Moreover, they influence the tone of the conversation where everyone has to be very careful with their written words or be tossed to one of the poles – because God forbid there be some middle ground.

12. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM

In other business, Mayock’s draft 2.0 is out.

He has us picking A’Shawn Robinson from Alabama.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM

I meant Kiper, danggit.

13. wvredskins - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:41 AM

I for one have been kinda hard on rg. Is it fair for me to base my assumptions on how he played in 2013 and 2014? Probably not. Maybe he has changed, maybe sitting behind kirk cousins this past season as the 3rd string qb has helped him truly see what got him to being the 3rd string qb. Some people think he was done wrong. I for one don’t and think that this was the best for rg. Hopefully he can come back stronger then ever and realize that this is a team game and not a me game. The signs are there that he is starting to get it. He did not stir any trouble this year with his twitter account. He did not talk to the media when giving the opportunity. And what he did do was work at his craft by staying after practice when everyone has left. Those are signs that he might turn his career around. I would like to see it. 2012 was a magical season that I will never forget! I’m onto kirk now and wish rg the best and hopefully at his next stop where ever that might be he has learned from his mistakes and rejuvenates his career.

14. T Ward - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Ask yourself,is there anyone in Redskin nation that would be upset if RG111 left the team? What has he done for the team besides give them hype and false hope?All about RG111

• Rich Tandler - Feb 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Oh, I think if you look around here for a few minutes you’d find that there will be plenty of upset fans when RG3 gets released.

15. Dana - Feb 19, 2016 at 12:15 PM

If he is smart, which he is very, he’ll and should go to Dallas.

16. Carlos Leon - Feb 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Two jokers play on the same team there both made out of glass….lmfao.

17. gregorywilliams2 - Feb 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM

If Romo goes down again, we had so called QB’s who could run the offense and what did that get? From a 2-0 start to pathetic after Romo and Dez went down, if Romo goes down again, I would rather have Griffin than the two that were there last year. How are those two QB’s even in the league after how pathetic they were Last year? Jerry take RGIII for about the type of offense you run these are professional, they can adjust.

18. brucefan1 - Feb 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Sorry, but I just gotta reiterate from this morning;

“Ready. FIGHT!”

“Best. Comment. Ever.”

(Hafta admit the ‘trainwreck” I mentioned then is even funnier than I could have imagined. Must be a full moon. Keep it going fellas!!)

19. Alan Miller - Feb 19, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Please leave him out in the cold Jerry Jones

20. Sam Browne - Feb 19, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Cowboys……Please don’t sign RG3 !!!!

21. example22808 - Feb 19, 2016 at 11:27 PM

I believe that RGIII will fit right in with the Cowboys offense as a backup quaterback and Dallas would be foolish to pass him up! (1) He just 26 and he can learn the plays if the Cowboys get him in time and they loosen up the purse strings a little bit. If they got money to throw away on them “No-Touchdown Passing, No-Down Field Throwing, Interception Prone” quarterbacks, they can certainly spend money on one that I feel would be much better than what they had! (2) The Cowboys have a better offense line than they had in the in the past years. I may make some people with what I’m going to say, No disrespect to Mike Shanahan, but when RGIII started his rookie year, the Redskins offensive line didn’t protect him worth a damn! He got his leg messed up, not to mention the concussions! His faith and confidence in the Redskins offensive line was shot to hell! I believe he’ll regain his confidence and faith back, which in turn, he’ll regain the trust of his teammates. And (3); He’s only been in the league 3 years and has more experience of being in the starting quarterback position than some 1st string quarterbacks in the NFL now! How many rookie and 2nd year quarterbacks have made it to the Pro Bowl that you know of? Not many! Next season, defensive opponents are going to be targeting on Romo’s shoulder and collar bone, and if he goes down (God forbid), I want somebody with the best possibility of getting the ball down field, scoring, and getting the win! COWBOYS, if he’s willing to come and play for the team, GET RGIII!

22. ashhole420 - Feb 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM

The Redskins should really make a run at signing both DE-Chris Long and MLB- James Laurinaitus. They are both true leaders of the Defense, Play their roles and will become player-coaches and player-mentor vets in the Redskins Defense

I think Chris Long could fit in this defense as a rush end/OLB/ sometimes and a DE others, he has the strength and speed to be very good in certain looks with this defense, and he was born and raised in the DMV. I would sign him for the right home town price.

The Redskins SHOULD SIGN MLB James Laurinaitus . He would be bigger and faster London Fletcher in the football smarts he has and the tackling Machine he is. He is a Leader and a on field Coach just like London also. Sign him and draft a MLB for him to mentor.
    #HTTR #ComeHomeToDMVChrisandJames

23. goskins44 - Feb 20, 2016 at 7:10 AM

A couple things:

1. I love it when someone clicks on an article then calls it click bait, only to continue commenting. Really? Too funny.

2. JJ never directly stated he was interested in Robert. there were rumors and conjecture out of the dallast and other media. He said he would look at all players, regardless of past so I guess you could infer that to mean Robert. He may be re-thinking that after the hardy experiment though.

3. Robert was never going to dallast. He wants to start, and start now. There are several places where that could happen – Houston stands out to me. It’s also in TX and they are in desperate need of a QB. The Rams, philly, and Cleveland would also be prime destinations. But never dallast. It’s just a horrible fit for all the reasons this article states. I wish him the best. He is a good person and a hard worker. Unfortunately I believe he has a few fatal flaws in terms of being an NFL starting QB. We will see. He could very easily prove me wrong. I hope he does, just not against us!

4. In terms of romo “scrambling”, with all due respect to the person who said the definition is clear, apparently it’s not. I think some people are confusing scrambling with running. To me the definition of scrambling is moving around in and out of the pocket to buy more time, extend the play. While a running QB will take off and run more than try to extend plays. Since he is a cowboy, I hate tony romo. However as a football fan I believe he is one of the best QBs in the NFL at extending plays – IMO scrambling. He will run if needed, but mostly he will move in the pocket or move outside the pocket and reset to let a big play develop. Ben R is about the only I know that comes close.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 20, 2016 at 8:20 AM

Goskins, it was me that indicated the definition of scrambling is clear. However, we both completely agree with what it means to scramble and that Romo is one of the best at it.

My only issue with some of the other comments on the subject is that in essence they are defining some aspect of scrambling yet think it doesn’t apply to scrambling. Honestly, I’m surprised there even needs to be a debate about what is a scramble. It has and always has since I can recall that a scramble occurs once you leave the pocket or some other point of protection without throwing the ball. That’s the textbook definition of a scramble.

I’m quite sure taht anyone who has ever chased a QB on the field in the NFL would agree.

• goskins44 - Feb 20, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I agree we are on the same page. I think people are kind of blurring running with scrambling. romo is not a big runner, but he is a great scrambler. I get really tired of romo extending plays and beating us. It’s very frustrating.

24. Ernie Bonneville - Feb 21, 2016 at 2:26 AM

That is a team that we just don’t get along with. Archives