Feb 16, 2016, 5:12 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, February 16, 8 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
Three and out: Consolidating gains
1- I don’t want to jumble your head with numbers in the morning but I do want to take a quick look at two major improvements the Redskins made last year. They went from converting 31.5 percent of their third downs in 2014 (30th in the NFL) to 43.5 percent last year (5th). That’s a 28 percent improvement in the conversion rate. And red zone conversion also improved 28 percent (from 47.9% to 61.2%). If they want to contend for the playoffs again they will need to hold on to those gains.
2- The more I think about it the more I think the Redskins will go with a wide receiver in the first or second rounds. And, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I think that both Pierre Garçon and DeSean Jackson will be back this year. But they are both turning 30 later this year and both are in the last year of their contracts. The draft, remember, is much more about future season than it is the coming season.
3- If I had to bet I’s say that Dashon Goldson will be back at a reduced salary with some incentives. I’ll say it gets cut from $8 million to $3 million with the ability to make about a million back with some incentives and per-game roster bonuses. That’s about what he could get on the open market if the Redskins were to let him go, which they could with no dead money hit. The one thing I am sure of is that he won’t play this season for $8 million.
Out: Don’t believe the talk of a $155 million salary cap, up from the previous high estimate of $153.6 million. If the past is any indication, it will be up near $156 million. The estimates are almost always low. We will find out for sure a few days before free agency starts.
—Former Redskins defensive back Brig Owens was born on this date in 1943.
—The Redskins last played a game 37 days ago. It will be about 208 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 8; NFL free agency starts 22; 2016 NFL draft 72
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well